Notary Rotary
OT: Otlook again (W/ XP)
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by ZeeCA on 6/10/08 2:40pm
Msg #250700

Ok, when i right click sometimes it lets me delete WITHOUT opening the message and other times it opens it. I want to figure out how WITHOUT as some come with viruses and etc.

tia

Reply by Linda Spanski on 6/10/08 2:45pm
Msg #250701

easy!

Go to "view" then choose current view. Lots of choices there; be sure only "messages" is checked.

When you open your inbox you can highlight and delete without anything ever opening.

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 6/10/08 3:36pm
Msg #250704

Re: easy!......not for the technically challenged...

click on view then choose current view and you get these choices:

Show all messages
hide read messages
hide read and ignored messages

copy of show all messages

customize current view
define views

group messages by conversation

I have been trying to figure this out for some time without success. Likewise, I would like to be able to hi-lite a message without opening it

Reply by Linda Spanski on 6/10/08 5:28pm
Msg #250716

Hmmm...

I'm using Outlook 2000 (not Outlook express.) After clicking "view" there should be a preview pane icon and an auto preview icon. Make sure both of those are OFF.

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 6/10/08 5:32pm
Msg #250718

Re: Huh.....that explains it ! n/m

Reply by ZeeCA on 6/10/08 5:33pm
Msg #250719

Re: Hmmm...

on outlook express you get what she has listed... NOTHING works to delete w/o opening grrrrrr

Reply by Linda Spanski on 6/10/08 5:37pm
Msg #250721

May I suggest you switch

... to Outlook? Many more features and easier to use, IMO.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 6/10/08 6:08pm
Msg #250723

Or better yet, if you're using Outlook Express

switch to Thunderbird, from the same folks who bring you the Firefox web browser.

It's just as free as Outlook Express, has many more features, and - best of all - it's not made by Micro$oft.

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/10/08 6:36pm
Msg #250726

I stayed out of this because I don't know the answer, but

I am using Outlook Express and can 'delete without opening'... and have been trying to figure out how I did this so many months/years ago. I believe it's somewhere in 'Tools' & options, but haven't figured it out yet. Could even be 'views'. I wish I could tell you more than 'It Can Be Done.'

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 6/11/08 10:07am
Msg #250766

FOUND IT!

From Outlook Express online help:

1. On the View menu, click Layout.
2. In the Preview Pane area, uncheck "Show Preview Pane."

Now you can highlight any email msg with a single click and then click Delete button. Or highlight any email msg with a single click, click right mouse button and select "Delete" from the pop-up menu.

Reply by ZeeCA on 6/11/08 2:26pm
Msg #250817

Re: FOUND IT! AWKKK

That section is grey and I cannot change anything... so what do i need to change to get that section? ssoooooooooooooooo frustrating

thx ev1 for all yr assist

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/10/08 6:44pm
Msg #250728

I googled...try
http://www.internetfixes.com/Outlook_Express/outlook_express_1.htm

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/10/08 6:47pm
Msg #250729

So, Brenda... what took you so long? You go, girl! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.