Notary Rotary
PLEASE NOTROT change this for us
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Annette_CA on 6/22/08 1:50am
Msg #252457

I am asking, because it would make it a whole lot easier for us, that you change the way this forum is designed. It would result in fewer new posts being created also.
Currently the only way to track new entries to old threads is to view them linearly. I have been to forums where a new response to a post brings the entire thread forward. Could this be done here?

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/22/08 8:05am
Msg #252462

I guess it is all in what you get used to. I much prefer the NR format over the other type.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/22/08 9:54am
Msg #252469

I am with Brenda
I prefer the format it is now.

Reply by Vince/KS on 6/22/08 3:54pm
Msg #252502

No change

Also prefer current format. It's different for a purpose and seems to attract more varied comments.

Reply by Mamie on 6/23/08 5:21pm
Msg #252650

The other way you have to go through tons of the same old, same old just to see a small response.

Reply by GA/Atty on 6/22/08 8:36am
Msg #252463

Floating threads are nice but require lots more resources

That's why so many forums do not use them, I think.

Reply by NCLisa on 6/22/08 9:29am
Msg #252465

I prefer the other type of forum where replies bring the

thread forward too. They are much easier to read, and you don't lose so many things or have so many duplicate posts. I'm on a ton of horse forums, and all of them are like that.

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 6/23/08 9:11am
Msg #252572

Re: I prefer the other type of forum where replies bring the

Well, if horse forums can do it, I'm sure Harry is up to the challenge. Right, Harry?

I'm not familiar with that type of posting, but it sounds better than losing good replies to good threads when they fall off the front page.

Notice I said, "Good replies."

Reply by LynnNC on 6/22/08 9:39am
Msg #252467

I agree with changing the design

I think a lot of interesting threads quit having posts because people don't go back far enough to read them. Also, we wouldn't have to back so far linearly to see if any additional posts have been made to threads that we are interested in...we could just go back as far as the last post we read the previous time we visited the forum.

Reply by John_NorCal on 6/22/08 12:09pm
Msg #252481

The problem I see with that is.......

most times the issue becomes resolved/talked about ad nauseum, then it becomes as if you're beating a dead horse (sorry Lisa!) and you want to scream enough already.

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/22/08 12:51pm
Msg #252487

Agree.This can pull up totally antique, beat-to-death stuff

And, sorry, newbs, but that's mostly who I see doing it in other places. I think this could hurt NR more than it helps anyone.

Reply by LynnNC on 6/22/08 3:12pm
Msg #252499

Re: The problem I see with that is.......

I only go to the forum a couple of times a week, and it is difficult to go back to read new posts since I was last on. If a thread has post "beating a dead horse", just skip it.

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/23/08 11:24am
Msg #252593

"it is difficult to go back to read new posts since I was last on. "

No it's not. Just switch from threaded view to linear view and you can accomplish exactly what you're looking for.

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 6/23/08 9:13am
Msg #252573

That happens anyway, except the topic is introduced as new.

At least by bringing up the old topic, everything is kept together more.

Reply by MichiganAl on 6/22/08 12:16pm
Msg #252482

No thanks

If there's a thread I'm interested in, I'll go back to it. If not, I don't want to see it continuously popping up to the top, especially since the longest threads are sometimes the silliest. I much prefer knowing where a thread is than having it shuffled around like a deck of cards.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.