Notary Rotary
Tip
Notary Discussion History

Tip
Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 6/6/08 11:14am
Msg #250234

Tip

As I noted in an earlier posting, I do little general notary work. I do advertise service 24/7, but that's mostly so I can attract weekend and late-night closings.

Last night, though, I got a call at 2:20 a.m. I had to take. It was from the Texas coordinator for the Obama campaign; his rental car had been towed, he needed it out by 7 a.m., and he needed an affidavit notarized to get it out. As an avid Obama supporter, I wasn't about to leave him in the lurch. While notarizing, the towing company staffer asked for card, explaining that towing victims sometimes need to get notary service in the wee hours.

Soooo...it occurs to me, if you are willing to go out late night/early morning and lose some sleep (presumably for a reasonable fee), it might be a good maneuver to drop off business cards at all the towing companies in your area, and let them know you're available.

Please, though, if you get a call from an Obama staffer, cut him a deal, will you? Posterity will thank you.

Reply by WDMD on 6/6/08 11:23am
Msg #250235

"Soooo...it occurs to me, if you are willing to go out late night/early morning and lose some sleep (presumably for a reasonable fee), it might be a good maneuver to drop off business cards at all the towing companies in your area, and let them know you're available."

So whats a reasonable fee in TX for that? Here in Maryland we can only charge $2 per notarization, .35/mile, and a $5 travel fee. Not worth to me to get out of bed at 2 AM for $10.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 6/6/08 11:27am
Msg #250236

I would have laughed, let him sit and gone back to sleep JMO n/m

Reply by Vince/KS on 6/6/08 11:36am
Msg #250240

I'll help you out!

If I get a similar call from an Obama staffer in the middle of the night, I'll give him/her your number!

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/6/08 11:41am
Msg #250241

Great tip. n/m

Reply by sue_pa on 6/6/08 11:57am
Msg #250244

Just curious - what did you notarize? My son had a car impounded quite a few years ago and I went and got it out for him because he was working out of state. Although I'm not positive, nothing was notarized - they just wanted CASH.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 6/6/08 12:22pm
Msg #250255

When the only tool you have is a hammer...

everything begins to look like a nail and so some can't post anything without politicizing it. I too would have passed on it!

Reply by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 6/6/08 2:16pm
Msg #250277

Re: When the only tool you have is a hammer...

And when all you have is bile, Charles, everything looks like a spittoon.

The view must be really crappy from where you're sitting.

Reply by PAW on 6/6/08 12:38pm
Msg #250261

I would have had him call Hillary. She knows what to do when the phone rings at 3 AM. <According to her!>

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/6/08 12:39pm
Msg #250262

Good one PAW:) n/m

Reply by WDMD on 6/6/08 12:41pm
Msg #250263

LMAO PAW....... n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/6/08 12:48pm
Msg #250265

That was very funny. n/m

Reply by lindetteh_PA on 6/6/08 1:21pm
Msg #250270

Re: PAW what a great response n/m

Reply by OR on 6/6/08 2:40pm
Msg #250283

Re: PAW ROFLOL n/m

Reply by aatatusko on 6/6/08 3:32pm
Msg #250287

Paw, too funny! n/m

Reply by Ti/Ga on 6/7/08 4:33pm
Msg #250395

Re: Tip--too funny! I like that one n/m

Reply by Susan Fischer on 6/6/08 2:39pm
Msg #250282

Ah, there's that "compassionate conservatism." Gotta

love it.

There are those of us who, if called in the wee hours by a McCain/any Republican volunteer in need of a notary's services, would drag our sleepy selves out of bed to provide that public service to another citizen in need - *especially* in the dead of night.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 6/6/08 3:02pm
Msg #250284

Susan the difference is that

most people don't identify themselves by their political affiliation. I can't think of the last time someone called me and stated their sexual, political or religious beliefs, before asking about having a notarization done. It does seem though that in the world of the original poster everyone he deals with wears some sort of sticker/button stating their beliefs. Must be an Austin thing.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/6/08 3:07pm
Msg #250285

Re: Susan the difference is that

Nah - I think Hugh asks them for their political persuasion so he can decide if he wants to notarize for them or not.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 6/6/08 3:40pm
Msg #250289

Gee, do ya think? Obviously. Point being, that one can

understand an explanation from a caller at such hours as to the urgency - rattling off a few details of the situation - to insure it's not a crank call.

I got the humor.

What I, and, no doubt other readers garnered from the several posters' responses, was a glimpse into their character.

Reply by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 6/6/08 3:12pm
Msg #250286

Or I could have had him call John McCain. He and I are the same age, 71, and my guess is there's a good likelihood he'd have been up just like I was, with the normal middle of the night visit to take care of aging kidneys.

This was not intended as a political post; any political reference was made to explain why I would go out, and to add a bit of tongue in cheek humor. If anybody else is disposed to pursue the politics of it, I'd suggest we move the discusson to the Just Politics forum.

(Incidentally, note that on that forum I NEVER say John McCain is too old to be president.)

Reply by Philip Johnson on 6/6/08 5:08pm
Msg #250309

Careful Hugh TI/GA may put you on an iceberg:) n/m

Reply by Ti/Ga on 6/7/08 4:29pm
Msg #250394

Re: Careful Hugh TI/GA may put you on an iceberg:)

Trite but expected of you Philip.
Hugh, unlike George W Mccain makes plenty of unbiased sense everytime he posts.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/7/08 4:58pm
Msg #250398

I had no idea you were a comedian Ti/GA

"Hugh, unlike George W Mccain makes plenty of unbiased sense everytime he posts."

ROFL!

Reply by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 6/7/08 6:30pm
Msg #250400

Re: I had no idea you were a comedian Ti/GA

***"Hugh, unlike George W Mccain makes plenty of unbiased sense everytime he posts."

ROFL!***

On the other hand, there is at least one member of the forum who makes lots of biased nonsense everytime she posts.

As noted, this discussion should be adjourned to the Just Politics forum, and I'll be darned sure that in the future, even in jest, I don't mention political figures.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/7/08 7:12pm
Msg #250401

Re: I had no idea you were a comedian Ti/GA

More empty promises - re: mea culpa

Reply by Jack Tri on 6/7/08 12:55am
Msg #250340

Re: Tip Obama Sucks

http://www.macsmind.com/wordpress/2008/02/27/obama-plans-to-disarm-america

Reply by jba/fl on 6/7/08 10:10am
Msg #250369

I'm laughing at the ignorance Obama displays citing further agreements w/Russia in removing nukes from the arsenal...they are NOT our enemy and if O doesn't know this, he is far out of the loop, too far to make a difference.

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/8/08 7:57pm
Msg #250469

testing 1 2 3 4

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.