Notary Rotary
Tip's
Notary Discussion History

Tip's
Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Jack Tri on 6/26/08 11:48am
Msg #253074

Tip's

What would you do if the customer gave you a tip for your work?would you take it? i got a fourty dollar tip i took it...maybe he was thinking he paid me for job after i was thinking had 125 dollars charge on bill so i put the bill at 85.00...i have got 20.00 tips on a few jobs too i took.

Reply by Pete/MD on 6/26/08 12:03pm
Msg #253081

I've had dinner with a few but I have never taken $. I take that back. One day I drove out to the eastern shore and I forgot my wallet. I had no cash on me and I was low on gas. The borrower gave me $20 and said if I sent it back to him he would kick my ass.

Reply by davidK/CA on 6/26/08 12:22pm
Msg #253087

Jack, here's another tip for you.

Please review your postings for the proper use of language and punctuation. I appreciate your comments, and I respect your right to say what you please in accordance with NR's policy, but I personally find it so very hard to follow many of your postings because of the broken syntax. If English is not your first language that can explain a lot, as I have been told that English is one of the most complicated languages in the world and I give anyone credit who has had to struggle with the crazy things that English requires us to do to speak and write "correctly".

You obviously have something to say, and I'm sure that you want people to consider your views, so please make it easier for us to do so by spending a few seconds reviewing your post before you hit the POST button.

Right or wrong, how you speak is how people perceive you.

PS. I would have taken the money as well. I'm not in this business for fun. I'm in it for the money, made legally and professionally.

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/26/08 12:58pm
Msg #253094

Just because you reduced the bill to whoever hired you doesn't mean they reduced the charge to the borrower. So all you did was give the company an additional $40. Not too smart.

Reply by OR on 6/26/08 1:15pm
Msg #253098

I would have taken a tip also. A tip is added to what you already get because the borrower thinks you deserve it. I would never ever reduce what I bill for my service to title or ss if I was given a tip. A tip is between you and the borrower not between you and the title or ss.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/26/08 1:55pm
Msg #253115

I've never accepted a tip, but I know other notaries who have. I don't think there is anything wrong is someone wanting to give you something extra for excellent service.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 6/26/08 2:11pm
Msg #253120

I gave a borrower a tip ($20) one time

We were just finishing up a closing when Title called and told me that they needed a new HUD and TIL signed (the one I had wasn't right). It was EOM time and I had 2 booked after this one. I told the borrower that I needed to go back home (20 miles) and print these docs and asked him if he could meet me 1/2 way on my return so I wouldn't be so late with my other appts. He hesitated and said he couldn't because he didn't have any money for gas. I gave him 20 bucks to do it. One reason I did it was because the borrower made me cry when he asked me if I was related to a man. This man was my dear late father-in-law. Another reason I did it is because it was worth the 20 bucks to me time wise to get to my other appts.
I've never been offered a tip before. I dont' think I would take it unless of course they were really wealthy and could afford to do it. Most borrowers I meet aren't that well off. I would feel bad taking it. I would explain to them that they have already paid for me and that is not right to pay twice.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 6/26/08 3:18pm
Msg #253138

Never been tipped by a brw

and wouldn't accept one.
But weddings and general notarizations are different, they hire me directly, and am glad to accept a gratuity for a job well done, or a difficult job done right/right now.

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/26/08 4:05pm
Msg #253140

Re: Never been tipped by a brw

Well said, and I agree.

Reply by Tish/CA on 6/26/08 2:38pm
Msg #253132

I'm not a waitress....

I've never taken a tip from a BO. I've been offered coffees, dinners, breakfasts, wine, ice teas, even shots after the closing all of which I've politely declined. It just doesn't feel right to me. Now if I'm hired for general notary work and they offer to buy me a starbucks , I may take them up on it. It just seems BO's feel more compelled to offer something tangible since there's no immediate exchange of $$.

Reply by nolanotary on 6/26/08 2:51pm
Msg #253135

Never been offered actual money, but a few borrower's have asked me to stay for dinner & drinks. I usually politely decline the offers explaining that I had other appointments; however, I closed one yesterday and before I could finish packing up all the docs, the wife was putting a slice of strawberry cake in front of me. I felt obligated to stay for a few extra minutes to eat the cake and drink a cup of coffee. Kinda glad that I did because that cake was still warm (right out of the oven) and boy was it good. It always feel good when people express their appreciation for the services we provide...we all know most people take what we do for granted.

If I was ever actually offered money, I would probably decline and just ask them to remember me the next time they were in need of a notary.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/26/08 4:41pm
Msg #253144

I've been tipped a couple of times, mostly for general notary work, as far as I know. And both times, I didn't realize it until after the fact because they paid me in cash and I just shoved it into a pocket or my purse.

The first time was because I met family members in a sort of remote canyon on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of a horrendous rain storm. That was the only day all the signers could be together and they didn't want to wait to get it done. They handed me a wad of cash as I was giving them the receipt. I just asked if they needed any change and they said no. Found an extra twenty when I got home. I was very happy to take it and they were obviously grateful for the service.

The last time was a combination. I did some general notary work for a man and his elderly mother, then headed right to a signing of a seller's package. The wife was working that day at her job as a guard at a low security prison not too far away. We signed while she was on her lunch break, using the slatted wooden benches outside in front of the main entrance to the prison. They both paid cash and at the end of the day, I found myself with another extra twenty. I have no idea who that one came from, but sure didn't mind the extra $$!!

I should add, though, that if it was a loan signing where I was hired by a third party who was paying me, I probably wouldn't take it. I can imagine some situations where I might make an exception, but that would probably involve extreme extenuating circumstances and a fee that somehow ended up not being adequate to the situation. For example, I've had signings where I was asked to drive to another location so we could meet with one of the signers, or to find a credible witness, that ended up taking a good deal of extra time. I've never been offered a tip for those situations, but it would have to be something like that before I would consider it - and I might not accept it anyway. If it was a good client of mine, that would be a given!

Reply by lindetteh_PA on 6/26/08 4:59pm
Msg #253148

I've been offered tips several times mostly by older borrowers and I always say no I'm just doing my job a few times they insist and after a few minutes of going back and forth I'll except it. I leave my card for them to call me if they ever need a notary (I've gotten so much new business that way) One time an attorney gave me 100.00 for meeting him 2 hours after our scheduled time (10pm) 30min further away I gladly excepted that tip and he has called me to notarize things for several of his clients

Reply by hp/MD on 6/26/08 11:14pm
Msg #253221

I have accepted $20 from a BO 5 years ago. But, in many occasions while we were at table signing, I have notarized other documents for the BO. They have paid me $30-$60 for the these extra work!!!!!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/26/08 5:15pm
Msg #253156

I had a borrower send me home one time with about

3 pounds of homemade sausage....it sat in my freezer for a bit until I realized that I had no clue if this guy knew how to process it properly so I threw it out...

Reply by Sir_Lawrence on 6/26/08 8:08pm
Msg #253191

Re: I had a borrower send me home one time with about

OK, this is an interesting thread. I don't believe I would except a tip because of two reasons: I am performing a legal act and it just seems wrong to take "tip" money from the people I am notarizing documents for. It makes me feel like a did something I shouldn't have. The second reason is, and this is just me, but I don't think of notarizing as a sub-servant deed. Just thank me, shake my hand and say it was a pleasure meeting with me. It's probably just silly male pride.

Reply by ItsMe123 on 6/27/08 1:08pm
Msg #253327

I would be very careful with this
First -- A tip is cash outside of the closing not indicated on the settlement statement
It HAS to be disclosed.
Think about that, if it is undisclosed, it is a lending violation cut and dry.

Fast forward
A borrower gets in trouble on their loan. They state one of the signers was not the person who sign as indicated by the notary or whatever else. They say they gave the notary cash outside of closing.
The tip could very easily be spun to be a cash payment for something other than it was. After all, you did commit a federal lending violation, who knows really how far you will go?

Look at what is going on in the foreclosure world. Borrowers are bringing anything they can. The courts have seen so much fraud out of lenders that they are turning to side with the borrowers in most cases when there is an accusation out there.

Decide on your own level of risk. Is a small tip a decent risk premium for what is a cut and dry lending violation? $20 is not worth that IMHO.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 6/27/08 7:59pm
Msg #253426

"First -- A tip is cash outside of the closing not indicated on the settlement statement
It HAS to be disclosed.
Think about that, if it is undisclosed, it is a lending violation cut and dry."

Not really. In the NYC area, common practice at a purchase closing is for the buyer to tip the title closer ($100 or more). This is customary and voluntary, and doesn't appear on the HUD-1. The practice has been going on for decades, and as far as I know has never been questioned - it's just the way things are done here.

Reply by calipat on 6/27/08 1:57am
Msg #253226

During Christmas time a borrower gave me her Starbucks card. It was worth $25. She had received it at a party and did not like anything Starbucks had to offer. I said no at first but she insisted saying there was no one she would give it to. I took it and in turn sent her a Christmas card with a thank you.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/27/08 5:41am
Msg #253227

**I took it and in turn sent her a Christmas card with a thank you.**

You are a class act, calipat. I "try" to stay on top of thanks you notes but often miss the mark. Frown

Reply by SanDiegoCA on 7/3/08 2:13pm
Msg #254096

>i got a fourty dollar tip i took it

Proving in one sentence that you neither know how to spell OR have any ethics ......

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.