Notary Rotary
VA Notary Law Changes 7/1/08
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Bryce Hall CRESPA on 6/24/08 7:00pm
Msg #252804

Please visit http://www.soc.state.va.us/OfficialDocuments/Notary/2008ChangesVANotaryLaw.pdf
to view VA Notary Law changes which go into effect 07/01/08.

Reply by Sandra Clark on 6/24/08 8:31pm
Msg #252814

Poor NNA, all the money they spent with their big time lobbiest got'em no where fast. Pushing the E-N etc. what a waste of member's money!

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 6/25/08 6:28am
Msg #252849

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people n/m

Reply by NMS/FL on 6/25/08 8:24am
Msg #252855

"...implement these laws without any technological standards or requirements..." I'm not surprised there were fraud concerns...no standards or requirements. I hope they didn't spend much on that study!

Reply by Vince/KS on 6/25/08 9:42am
Msg #252863

The last section that says: "Any person who knowingly and willfully misrepresents on an application for commission as a notary that they have not been convicted of any felony under the laws of this Commonwealth, of any other state, or of the United State shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor."

This may illustrate why a background check of the notary is important.

Reply by John_NorCal on 6/25/08 12:46pm
Msg #252901

**This may illustrate why a background check of the notary is important.**

Amen to that. I can't understand why any state would not have a back ground check in place when awarding commissions. I'm sure, at least I hope, California is not in minority in requiring a full BGC via live scan for every notary application. Without a system in place it just gives opportunity to outfits like the NNA to offer their product at a inflated price and with little substance to boot.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 6/25/08 5:18pm
Msg #252947

I totally agree. When I moved to Virginia 8 years ago, after living in CA my entire life, I felt like I had gone back in time 10-20 years.

In Virginia, virtually anyone can become a notary as long as they have a pulse and pony up the $$. And oh yeah, they must also swear that they are not a criminal.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.