>> Technician (could also be Telus) who was conducting
>>
>> a test on the telephone lines. He stated that to
>>
>> complete the test I should touch nine(9), zero(0), the
>>
>> pound sign (#), and then hang up.
>>
>> Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.
>>
>>
>>
>> Upon contacting the telephone company, I was
>>
>> informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting
>>
>> individual full access to your telephone line, which
>>
>> enables them to place long distance calls billed to
>>
>> your home phone number.
>>
>>
>>
>> I was further informed that this scam has been
>>
>> originating from many local jails/prisons
>>
>>
>>
>> DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE.
>>

Checked this one out on snopes.com. If any one calls and asks you to press 90# on your phone for any reason, DON'T DO IT! Read message from snopes.com below, attached link also.

. snopes.com: #-9-0 Phone Scam •••
Can pressing #-9-0 allow scammers to make long-distance phone calls on your phone bill?
...Home --> Fraud Squad --> Telephone Scams --> #-9-0 Phone Scam #-9-0 Phone Scam Claim: Pressing #-9-0 on your telephone will allow scammers to make...
...contacting the telephone company we were informed that by using 90# you end up giving the individual that called you access to your telephone line and...
...Miller, [a spokesman for Bell Atlantic] said the technicians asking for dialing assistance should be a signal to customers that something is amiss....
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:13:55 GMT http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/jailcall.asp

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 6/11/08 12:17pm
Msg #250789

Re: If you read snopes

you will see that it only affects businesses, hospitals, governmental agencies, etc. that must press "9" to get an outside line. It doesn't affect residential services or cell phones.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/11/08 2:15pm
Msg #250814

It always puzzles me that people are not on the "Do Not Call" list & still get this kind of thing.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.