Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
We should all form a union for notaries.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by rolomia on 6/26/08 12:22am
Msg #252993

Imagine the benefits of belonging to a union just for notaries... If every notary joined our union, title/RE Co's. might show more respect to said notaries. I know that many of you own your own signing services, and don't want the notaries you contract with to belong to any unions, lest you end up paying more to hire a notary. At the very least, low-ball offers will be rejected by union members. If a notary wants to do a closing for a ridiculously-low fee, more power to them. Personally, I don't do any closings for less than $50 if it is a simple closing close to home (same city) with no fax-back or e-docs. One company actually threatened to blacklist me with other title co's. & SS if I didn't accept THEIR low-ball offer of $35 to do an edoc closing some 50 miles away (100 mile round-trip), wanted me to pay to ship the docs. back (said they would reimburse me), and wanted me to be there at noon. They called me at 8 AM (and, this assumes that I'd receive the edocs on time, which almost never happens).
So, I'm supposed to print out 100 pages for the borrower + 100 pages for the SS, spend $25 gas & $15 to overnight the package to them? I laughed at them & hung up the phone. They called me an hour later & offered me $40. I was tempted to tell them I would do it, just to get the name of the lender so I could laugh at them, too for being stupid enough to hire said signing service. It never ceases to amaze me just how stupid & ignorant some notaries are who accept these low-paying assignments. Like the rest of you, I'm glad when they do, though, because they usually quit the business very quickly when they realize they can't make any money. Some people just have to learn the hard way, I guess. Unfortunately, it does work against us, because when enough notaries work for meager pay, it motivates title co's. & SS to continue paying low rates to the rest of us. Rule #1 of our union should be: No stupid or ignorant notaries allowed (who should know better but don't). btw... we could even form our own federal credit union once 500 notaries agree to do so. Thanks! rolomia

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 6/26/08 1:32am
Msg #253001

A union will never happen. We are all independent business owners and intend to stay that way. Your best bet is to form a network in your area.
I am curious what type of "simple" closing are you referring to? You said: "Personally, I don't do any closings for less than $50 if it is a simple closing close to home (same city) with no fax-back or e-docs."
ANY TYPE of loan closing warrants more than $50 even if it is half a mile from home. IT IS A LOAN CLOSING.
How can you expect others to even consider your proposal when YOU are doing what your telling others not to do... Please explain, because that is how I read your post. You also state: " $15 to overnight the package to them?" I don't believe you are paying to ship packages, please tell me that you are just kidding, that this entire post is a joke, right?

Reply by PartikgirlNJ on 6/26/08 8:07am
Msg #253014

Sheila, I think maybe you misread ....she is not paying to ship back docs, that was just part "rant". I do agreee however, union.....not happening

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 6/26/08 8:19am
Msg #253020

Re: PartikgirlNJ - I read it the same way as Sheila

The original post read:

*So, I'm supposed to print out 100 pages for the borrower + 100 pages for the SS, spend $25 gas & $15 to overnight the package to them?*

It sure appears to me that this person is paying to ship the docs.

Reply by Dave_CA on 6/26/08 8:47am
Msg #253025

Re: PartikgirlNJ - I read it the same way as Sheila

What she said "wanted me to pay to ship the docs. back (said they would reimburse me),"
Still agree no need for a union IF people would price their work to allow themselves a profit.
I don't be;believe $50.00 will.
JMOO

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 6/26/08 9:20am
Msg #253027

Re:Each of us quoted statements from different parts of post n/m

Reply by MistarellaFL on 6/26/08 8:07am
Msg #253015

Form a State Network instead n/m

Reply by Negrete on 6/26/08 8:23am
Msg #253022

I am a SS so I will most likley get blasted for this, but here goes anyways.

Before I was a SS I was a truck driver for 29 yrs. I was also a UNION member for the last 17 of those years. I also ran for office in that great UNION. I saw what a UNION could and could NOT do for it's members.

1) They did protect thier members. ( The ones that did NOT want to work very hard that is )

2) They have a good ol'e boys mentality. ( If your part of the UNION click your a good ol'e boy )

3) They overpriced themselves in the long run. ( Count the members today versus what the number was even 10 years ago )

4) If a company does treat thier members fairly, there is NO NEED for a UNION whatsoever.
If you let a company treat you like crap then you quite that company and don't work for
that company anymore. ( You are your own boss in this business and you chose who you
work for of your own free will. )

I know that I will get comments from this post and I welcome tham with open arms.

Anthony J Negrete
Negrete's Notary Service Inc.

www.firstamericannotaryservice.com

Reply by hcampersFL on 6/26/08 9:28am
Msg #253028

Tony, I have a question for you....Why do you list all these

different web addresses at the bottom of each of your post? They seem to change all the time. Have you been buying web sites and re-directing them to your site? Would that explain the reason for posting different sites below your name on your post?

Just curious.

Reply by Les_CO on 6/26/08 9:49am
Msg #253032

Let’s face it, the Teamsters is one of the largest, most powerful unions left in the US. It is well known how they got that way. I just can’t see a bunch on lady notaries with clubs breaking the legs, or more appropriately the fingers, of the non-union ‘newbies’, or setting fire to the title companies that won’t work with them. I’d LOVE to, but I just don’t see it happening.

Reply by SharonMN on 6/26/08 10:01am
Msg #253034

The NNA is the closest thing to a notary "union"

...and look where that got us!

Reply by RonA/CA on 6/26/08 10:58am
Msg #253051

Unfortunately, a major obstacle for forming a labor union for notaries is the National Labor Relations Board. The NLRB excludes from its coverage independant contractors which NSA's are when they agree to do a signing.

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/26/08 1:08pm
Msg #253097

"Rule #1 of our union should be: No stupid or ignorant notaries allowed (who should know better but don't)"

Aw, guess that rules you out. Maybe when you learn that $50 is a low-ball offer, and learn how to write with paragraphs, we'll reconsider your membership.

Reply by rolomia on 6/26/08 2:43pm
Msg #253134

CaliNotary of CA.,

"Aw, guess that rules you out. Maybe when you learn that $50 is a low-ball offer, and learn how to write with paragraphs, we'll reconsider your membership."

Do you have so much free time on your hands that you have nothing better to do than to attack others for minor issues? Try living in Arkansas, and getting assignments that pay more than $50 on a regular basis. It just doesn't happen. I'm usually the first notary called by several companies when they need a reliable, dependable & hardworking notary in my area.

But, even the companies who use me on a regular basis aren't getting much more than the $50 they pay me. They want to stay busy, too. Thus, they accept low-ball offers from the lender. Everybody is getting low-balled in one way or another. Except, you..I'm sure. You probably don't do any closings for less than $100, right? And, you will probably tell us that you are so busy, you have to turn down work?! If true, I commend you.

But, again...I live in Arkansas. I travel the entire state. I guarantee my work. I'm reliable, dependable, honest, ethical, flexible and hard-working...qualities that title co's. & SS say they care about, but don't. In reality, they only care about suckers: notaries who will work for peanuts. That's at the root of the problem.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the title co's. & SS were engaged in price-fixing with each other. Though, they would never admit to such a thing. But, if they are doing this, we need to band together in a way that allows us to fight back. That is why I suggested a union.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/27/08 8:56am
Msg #253233

I wouldn't worry about the attack too much. There are some who love to point out typos, mispelled words, format. When calling someone ignorant or stupid, they might consider that rude & arrogant can be far worse than either of those two things. Most of us are in a hurry when we're posting, & mistakes are bound to happen. IMO we're all here to exchange ideas & learn more about the biz from others' perspective. When the "Union" needs an editor & proofreader we'll know who to call.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/26/08 2:19pm
Msg #253123

Sure--then they would find a way to outsource our jobs to India or China, like they did with the other former "union" jobs. I'm not anti-union. I lived in blue-collar PA and saw that the unions, once there to protect the workers, take a stand that forced companies out of business & jobs out of the country. It was very sad.

Reply by rolomia on 6/26/08 2:31pm
Msg #253129

MW/VA,

Notary jobs cannot be outsourced to another country. Notaries provide a service that has to be done on-site. It cannot be done over the phone, by camera, or virtual reality.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/26/08 5:57pm
Msg #253165

Of course I know that--I was being sarcastic.

Reply by rolomia on 6/26/08 2:26pm
Msg #253126

WOW! Awesome posts! Thanks for all the great feedback. Sorry I didn't format my original post into paragraph before submitting.

Whether a union or network, we need to form some type of governing body that protects it's members from price controls. Many of you stated that I was low-balling my offers for $50. That would be true if I were living anywhere but Arkansas. I used to average $75 to $125 per closing. I even did one closing for $260. But, those closings are rare.

If I turned down the $50 offers, I'd never stay busy. I try to negotiate the fee higher. But, unfortunately, there are too many notaries who are willing to work for $50 or even less. That is why I seldom get closings that pay more. And, the title co's. & SS love Arkansas for that reason. It's simple supply versus demand economics, folks!

Too may notaries, most of whom are willing to work for minimal pay...too few closings...
I used to believe that title co's. paid more than SS. But, the title co's. are even greedier than the SS, or so it seems. Thus, they low-ball their offers.

So...tell me...what am I to do? turn down the $50 closings and stay home, or wait for the higher-paying closings that are few & far between?! Many of you have helpful replies. Some of you seem determined to express nothing but useless sarcasm. This just proves my point; there are good & bad notaries. Unfortunately, the bad notaries seem to spend most of their free time attacking their better counterparts on this forum.

Maybe if you spent your free time marketing, like I do, you would be too busy to troll this board; and, instead, you'd be out there doing more closings. Most of my posts are made at night. My days are invested in marketing, advbertising, promotion & publicity.

I didn't know that the NLRB didn't allow independent contractors to form a union., I will look into either getting that changed. Or, find out what substitute protections exist for IC's. The NNA is a joke. Unfortunately, they seem to have become so massive & powerful, that they are now not much more than an overbearing weight on the backs of good, honest & hard-working notaries. A slow-moving beurocracy, at best. Oh, well. Until someone comes up with a better solution, I guess we will all just have to grin & bear it. Thanks! rolomia

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/26/08 6:14pm
Msg #253173

"So...tell me...what am I to do? turn down the $50 closings and stay home, or wait for the higher-paying closings that are few & far between?!"

You cannot possibly be making a profit doing $50 signings. If that's your only option then what you should be doing is finding a new line of work.

"Maybe if you spent your free time marketing, like I do, you would be too busy to troll this board; and, instead, you'd be out there doing more closings. Most of my posts are made at night. My days are invested in marketing, advbertising, promotion & publicity. "

Uh huh, the argument of those who have no real argument. If you've been doing this job for as long as you claim then why don't you understand that the nature of the job gives a lot of free time during the day?

And I guess most of us don't need to be out there all day doing closings like you since we're charging more than $50 for our services. I can do half as much work as you and still make the same money, and I'm in Los Angeles, where the signing agent field is even more saturated than Arkansas.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.