Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
When a closing is postponed, do you call borrowers?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by JanetLA on 6/29/08 10:12am
Msg #253602

I usually do but did not do it in this case and the lender blamed me for not letting the borrower know. I have never felt as though it was my responsibility, but I usually do it as a courtesy. Most of the time, the borrowers already know. I apologized to this borrower for not calling, but did not really think the blame was mine. Just wondering how you all handle it. Thanks

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/29/08 10:16am
Msg #253604

I ask the SS, TC or Lender if they want me to contact the borrower or if they want to handle it...if it's left to me I contact the borrower and let them know of the postponement - when they ask why I refer them to their loan officer...

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/29/08 10:21am
Msg #253606

How else are you going to know who plays fair and who just found a cheaper notary?

Reply by Teresa/FL on 6/29/08 10:28am
Msg #253608

Exactly why I call the borrowers

A few times the borrowers have told me that another notary had called them to confirm the appt. Even when I am told that the borrowers have already been notified, I call them as a courtesy. Most of the time they already know, but occasionally they have not. I refer any questions regarding rescheduling to their LO or the TC.

Reply by PSULION/PA on 6/29/08 10:25am
Msg #253607

I usually ask if the borrower has been contacted when they call me to postpone...... if they tell me "yes"...... then I don't worry about it.
I agree with you....... it's not my responsibility but in another sense....... we're selling a service........ and giving exceptional customer service and taking responsibility for things that aren't or should be my responsibility helps set me apart from the rest..... so when in doubt I error on the side of caution...... it has won me points with the brokers (not the title co) and sometimes leads to brokers asking specifically for me...... in this market you need every edge you can get!

Reply by Cheryl Anderson on 6/29/08 12:16pm
Msg #253624

I love PSULION/PA's answer to this post. I, too, agree that I am "selling a service" and taking that extra step that doesn't cost me a thing, put me out, or in anyway creates a problem for anyone involved, then by all means, I would definitely find out if borrower knows or not. And yes, that extra edge DOES SET YOU A PART, because I have been complimented on by lenders, directly. To me, being called back for more and more work is a HUGE compliment in itself.

Reply by Les_CO on 6/29/08 10:28am
Msg #253609

If I have spoken with the borrower to confirm, and it cancels, or is postoned, I always call, and explain. It's a big world, but one never knows if you will meet these people again in some context. I'm a professional, and don't rely on others to conduct part of what I consider to be my business.

Reply by desktopfull on 6/29/08 10:45am
Msg #253613

If I've called and confirmed the appointment and it's cancelled, I always called them back to let them know it's been cancelled because I made an appointment with them. You would be amazed at how often the TC or Lender doesn't call and cancel or explain why the closing has been postponed or cancelled. Then the borrower's are left sitting around waiting for a no show without any explaination.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 6/29/08 10:53am
Msg #253617

Yes, for the same reasons Teresa & desktopfull mentioned n/m

Reply by Nomad/OR on 6/29/08 10:30pm
Msg #253651

That happened to me on Friday.

The SS that hired me was extremely diligent in trying to contact me about the cancellation. I was out of contact for a bit and they left a message on my cell AND my home phone and called my cell again and we talked. I was very impressed that they went to all this effort instead of just blowing me off.

I called the Borrower and informed her and she had no idea of the cancellation. The last she heard was that it got bumped back four hours. She was pretty upset about the Title Co not calling and telling her.

I don't think it was a fee issue as they only had to come up $25 to meet mine.

Reply by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 6/29/08 4:21pm
Msg #253637

I always, always call, even if I have been told that the borrowers have already been called or will be called. Over the years, I've learned that a TC or SS promising to call falls thorugh about half the time. And, as another poster noted, it's one way to ascertain if a cheaper notary has been given the closing. Most of all, though, it's just a professional courtesy, whether someone else has called or not. There is always the possibility that if the closing is rescheduled, the borrowers may insist on using you.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/29/08 4:27pm
Msg #253638

Agree with Hugh. All of his points. n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/29/08 6:09pm
Msg #253644

Me, too...

Also, even if they say they are going to call and don't, it's real easy for this to be another example of "blame the notary". I would include the LO in this scenario, even though it's their client. If I've already spoken with them, a courtesy call is in order. However, I wouldn't let myself get drawn into any discussion about why it is being rescheduled. I've run into situations where additional stipulations came up, or something changed in underwriting and they no longer were considered to be qualified. There are a gazillion possibilities - none of which I want to be in the middle of...

I also learned this the hard way. (Not being blamed, but being told that it was cancelled and not to call, to let the LO do it... then having the borrowers call me at the appointed time wondering where I was. I didn't like being put in that position!) And, yes, it's a small world. You never know who they know.

Reply by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 6/29/08 7:38pm
Msg #253645

Re: Me, too...

I don't know what I would do if I was told not to call the borrowers about the cancelled appointment. To my recollection, that's never happened. I suspect I probably would find some excuse to call right about the time of the originally scheduled appointment -- "Oh, I'm sorry, I must have misdialed," or something like that -- that would lead naturally into the fact that I wouldn't be by as planned. At least that way they would be aware. But I really don't know what I'd do. I do know I would be pretty damned suspicious if I was given directions not to call.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/29/08 8:15pm
Msg #253647

Re: Me, too...

If I were ever put in that position again, I think I might 'accidentally" call the borrowers, too! I think most people appreciate the courtesy, even if it's redundant.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/29/08 9:21pm
Msg #253649

Hugh..I read this after I posted below

I *HAVE* been told not to contact the clients to cancel or postpone - very recently as a matter of fact...I was never comfortable with it, but title told me not to call them - so I basically did what I was told...like I said I wasn't comfortable with it but I did it - and it did work out - I got the rescheduled signing and the borrower told me they'd called her.....but I do agree with everyone...

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/29/08 5:33pm
Msg #253639

Hmmm...Good points....everyone....gonna have to

re-think this...Smile

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/29/08 6:04pm
Msg #253643

Re: Hmmm...Good points....everyone...Linda...

The borrowers are who I feel sorry for...when they think I am coming and I don't. They are "my" neighbors out here in small town Texas...I don't want them thinking I am part of the shabby treatment they often run across in the mortgage process.

Reply by PAW on 6/29/08 8:12pm
Msg #253646

>>> out here in small town Texas <<<

I wouldn't necessarily consider College Station (pop. 70,000) a "small town". Now, Alvin (pop. 20,000), that's a small Texas town, about 1/3 the size of College Station. Now, I live in a much smaller town, Inverness, FL (pop. 7,000), 1/10 the size of College Station,
Smile

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/29/08 9:17pm
Msg #253648

LOL...got ya beat...my town...500!!!

And I agree - not to mention a better way to conduct my own business....

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/30/08 6:07am
Msg #253655

College Station is a smaller place than you'd think for Pop. 70,000 from a signing agent's view. Lots to do here, good employment, however, you've got a whole bunch of that 70,000 living in 12 x 12 rooms on or near the university campus.

Those pesky students don't try to get many mortgages.

Now...Alvin, Texas? I know a little bit about Alvin. I have family there...about a tenth of Alvin is probably related to me. Only not Nolan Ryan. He's unfortunately not part of my family tree.

Reply by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 6/30/08 10:00am
Msg #253660

Population-wise, you can't really refer to College Station without including Bryan, the older city that shares a northern boundary with College Station. That pushes the population toward 150,000.

Then you have to factor in 40,000 Aggies -- or not. There is substantial sentiment in other quarters of the state that Aggies be regarded as a subspecies, and treated for purposes of the census much as one would treat sheep. That's not a sentiment I share. I think they are two-legged creatures like us, only more like turkeys.

Hook 'em, Horns!

Reply by PAW on 6/30/08 1:43pm
Msg #253670

>>> Now...Alvin, Texas? I know a little bit about Alvin. I have family there...about a tenth of Alvin is probably related to me. Only not Nolan Ryan. He's unfortunately not part of my family tree. <<<

Nor mine! Wink

Reply by Louisiana33 on 6/30/08 4:53pm
Msg #253689

I always thought it was the lender's responsibility or the scheduling department's responsibility. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that the lender,ss,tc try to put as many clerical type duties on the notary, but don't want to pay the $$. For instance, why don't the lenders tell the borrowers that they will need two witnesses over the age of 18 to be present at the signing or that the ex-spouse needs to be present to sign a deed?

In the future, maybe you could ask the lender if the BO has been contacted about the postponement. In my experience the BO always knows.

Reply by Ernest__CT on 7/1/08 12:55am
Msg #253726

No question: Make the call. Period. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.