Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Who/What is your least favorite occupation of the borrower?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Linda Juenger on 6/12/08 11:53pm
Msg #251134

I have a closing Friday with a teacher from a certain school district in my area. I have done 3 or 4 of them already and its not fun at all. I don't know what it is about them. They are snotty and down right rude. Of course we have no idea what occupation or where the borrowers work until we get the 1003. When I saw this when I got docs tonight, I said to myself its going to be a long signing. Its an FHA 150pg so its going to take time anyway, but a teacher is always a reader. I would go for a drink afterwards, but it will be noon. Too early to start (for me anyway). lol I'd be singing good night Irene at 2 in the afternoon.

Reply by SReis on 6/13/08 12:28am
Msg #251136

I never look, can't really be bothered but I have found....

When I close w/a borrower that is an atty it is either great or awful, NO in between. They either know most of the docs are "junk" & are willing to sign quickly OR they want to read every minute detail to make sure there are no issues (ie: I had 17 yrs of schooling not 15).

Reply by Jack Tri on 6/13/08 12:44am
Msg #251137

lawyers,Doctors,Accountants, are bad

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/13/08 1:21am
Msg #251138

I know it's kinda fun to think along these lines, but I think it would be awfully nice to try to get away from stereotyping people under any all-encompassing, catch-all category. I don't know what your experience was like, but I had teachers in my life who represented a wide variety of personalities. As for signings, I've also had teachers who were very nice, others not so much, some who were outgoing, some quiet, some who were readers, some who weren't, etc. You get the idea. Same with attorneys, or any other profession.

Why set yourself up for expecting a negative experience? You're already needlessly agonizing over something that isn't even going to happen until tomorrow. If you go with a positive attitude, you are more likely to end up with a positive experience. Your subconscious can send cues to others that they might pick up on without either of you realizing it. You have a choice about how you react to whatever the circumstances end up being. [BTW, I almost never look at the 1003 before the appointment, unless I need to find a phone number.]

Have a great signing! Maybe this one will be very different from the others...

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/13/08 7:01am
Msg #251151

Re: Who/What is your least favorite occupation of the borrow

A challenging way to think about this topic would be to think how you can best relieve the fears of those people-types.

The more uptight they are, the more I try to take a posture of totally relaxed and unassuming...while being sure of what I say I let them believe they know more (and they might!) and let them understand they can read all they would like to as long as I am out of there for my next appointment an hour later...reminding them gently about their right to rescind (assuming there is one).

I generally say things like "*As I'm sure you know*...this is the standard note, here's the rate...here are the terms..."

Since I live in an area with many professors and teachers taking the position of being less informed than they are works best for them.

I know experienced signers already know this type of posturing works...but for the inexperienced these are my comments.

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/13/08 1:35am
Msg #251139

Teachers...read every word & seem to be very sure there's a trick in here somewhere. Truckers--they just seem to go off on some innocuous disclosure or another---don't know why. Accountants--fuss over every penny on 1003 list of liabilities. Lawyers & doctors--pretty quick & easy. Yes, stereotyping is--because most of 'em are that way?? Not all, to be sure, but there is a pattern, which is probably how & why they chose their careers.

Reply by christiSocal on 6/13/08 4:49am
Msg #251145

Dentist, at the office with the drilling noise in the backgr

Really nice guy, signed fast, thank goodness. I've had to have way too much work done, so NOT my favorite place...

Reply by NC_Notary on 6/13/08 6:46am
Msg #251149

Engineers are the worst......

Not only are they paranoid and are very sceptable about the whole procedure, they analyze every document. Every closing I have done for an engineer has been this way.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/13/08 7:04am
Msg #251152

These occupations don't just put notaries in the barrel...

it's not personal...they are "equal-opportunity offenders" when things of great importance affect their lives.

I've learned over the years that people who push my buttons in one way or another aren't just doing it to me...it's just the way they are made...they do it everywhere....makes me wonder what buttons *I* push on people! Moi? I'm perfect, right? Smile

Reply by jba/fl on 6/13/08 7:15am
Msg #251154

Of course you're perfect - you just keep believing that...

I try not to prejudge by occupation as all the ones listed have been some of my easiest and quickest. But, there are those who know less, but will pick up the paper (doesn't matter which), scrutinize, peer over the top exclaiming something to the effect that they really understand, blah, blah, looking for blah, blah, and their question reflects their total ignorance. They will obsess over the broker docs and virtually ignore the note. These give me great personal joy - not! LOL, no really LOL!

Reply by jba/fl on 6/13/08 9:29am
Msg #251169

Folks: my subject line is in jest n/m

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 6/13/08 7:20am
Msg #251155

AMEN AND AMEN

I have yet to meet one that is not completely a fine tooth person. And believe me in the Detroit Area we have a lot! Especially in Oakland County where I'm at. And the worst of the worst is Software Engineers. It's best to just sit back and let them read to their hearts content. I start with the settlement sheet and then the note and let them read and digest it as much as they want. Then the RTC and mortgage. Then I tell them that those are the most important docs in the package for them and then SOMETIMES they will only skim the remaining docs.

Reply by Maureen_nh on 6/13/08 8:40am
Msg #251164

I agree

Anytime I see engineer on the ap I prepare for a long session. A couple of times I didn't look but I guessed right away.
That's OK my life is in their hands every day in many areas. Let them pick away.

Reply by DogmongerCA on 6/13/08 8:57am
Msg #251166

Re: Engineers are the worst...... BINGO

They all think they should reinvent the wheel every waking moment. I'd rather do a whole gaggle of personal injury attornies:-)

Reply by MichiganAl on 6/13/08 9:19am
Msg #251168

Without a doubt, engineers are the most challenging n/m

Reply by LynnNC on 6/13/08 5:03pm
Msg #251228

I agree engineers are the worst! n/m

Reply by NWIA Searches - Karen on 6/13/08 7:35am
Msg #251156

I had a MN female bus driver who started the closing by saying "you are going to hate me, cause I like to read each page before I sign it". Threw me for a split second... but I quickly came back with "No I won't need to hate you, because I will go over the high points, like loan amount, interest rate, monthlypayment & closing costs & then you will have 3 days to read every page, AFTER I leave". Luckily, it worked.

Otherwise, here in Iowa/MN in my area..... I have had no one else try to read each page. They just sign as quickly as they can, regardless of their occupations.

Reply by Sharon Taylor on 6/13/08 7:52am
Msg #251157

Alpha Male/Alpha Female personalities

I can't say any one profession stands out, but the personalities sure do. Every now and then you run into an Alpha Male or Alpha Female who makes sure you know from the moment you walk in the door that he or she is dominant and in charge. Of course, as soon as you signal that you recognize and act like you are deferring to his/her Alpha Male/Alpha Female position, then he or she is as sweet as can be and becomes easy to work with. LOL

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/13/08 9:08am
Msg #251167

Re: Alpha Male/Alpha Female personalities

**as you signal that you recognize and act like you are deferring to his/her Alpha Male/Alpha Female position, then he or she is as sweet as can be and becomes easy to work with. LOL**

Exactly!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/14/08 2:20am
Msg #251275

Re: Alpha Male/Alpha Female personalities

Couldn't agree more. I love to study personalities and temperaments and it really helps a lot with putting people at ease. And being a little bit deferential never hurts!

Reply by Charles_Ca on 6/13/08 8:33am
Msg #251162

Mine is not occupation based but level of acceptance...

The signings I hate worst are the ones where the borrower knows that they are being screwed, I know that they are being screwed, the originator knows that they are getting screwed and yet it is the only game in town becasue they have been less than careful with their credit. The thing I try and do is to leave them with as much of their self respect intact as I possibly can. I truly feel sorry for these people and they are among the most uptight, angry individuals going into the signing one can come across. They are lashing out at the circumstances and not at me, still it's an unpleasant signing.

I had one recently that was "I can do better than that, the LO is screwing me, get the LO on the phone, I'm going to cancel this, this is against the law, and verything preceded with a F this and F that and his sweet cowed little wife sitting next to him just dying at his rudeness. I finally asked him to check his language since there was a lady in the room: didn't do any good. I feel sorry for his wife the guy was a real boor and treated her like chattel! They signed and it stuck, they had no other alternatives. I hate to see people put themselves into that sort of a predicament.

Reply by 101livescan on 6/13/08 9:32am
Msg #251170

Engineers and ATTORNEYS, by far the worse in my experience...

Reply by SPEEDY NOTARY AND DOC SIGNING - DORIT MORADZADEH on 6/13/08 12:47pm
Msg #251188

Thanks to allthe notaries that will not judge any one... I use to work as a teacher in LAUSD, please do not judge by color or label... you can never say who is good , and who is not. Over years I have signed for so many people that at this point I really do not care, what they do, as long as the Loan closes. Once I even did a signing for one of the judges in court, each time he would call me his phone was 000-000-0000 to keep him private so ....

Reply by Linda Juenger on 6/13/08 1:52pm
Msg #251193

Signing with the teacher went wonderful today

I was a little uptight about it last night because I have had some not so good experiences with teachers in this particular school district. This lady today was a blessing and a bright spot in our world and for mankind. Absolutley a wonderful person and we could have sat and chatted all day. She is why I love my job. I am a people person and really love the borrowers and have become friends with many and I really don't consider myself judgemental at all. I get along well with all walks of life. I have been where a lot of the borrowers are and know their pain sometimes.
Yes, I have had accountants get their calcualtors out and compute and engineers who analyze the entire pkg also.
It was interesting to read everyones views and know that we all get a little uptight about certain professions at times and that's ok. We're just human. We get in there and get those loans closed for them and give ourselves a pat on the back that we got through it.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/14/08 2:18am
Msg #251274

There ya go!!!

Thanks for posting and letting us know. See? If we overthink, we can find ourselves worrying about things needlessly. I'm glad you had a positive experience.

Reply by Brenda/CA on 6/13/08 3:18pm
Msg #251208

A notary that is not a singing agent, and asks 101 questions about each and everything you do at the signing. And wants to know how to get started!

Reply by WDMD on 6/14/08 6:43am
Msg #251282

"A notary that is not a singing agent, and asks 101 questions about each and everything you do at the signing. And wants to know how to get started!"

I hear that. I've signed a couple of notaries who claim they "used to" do closings before Maryland changed the law requiring title producers. They couldn't even read a settlement statement.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.