Notary Rotary
Why it is so important to correct and initial certs
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Becca_FL on 6/16/08 10:14am
Msg #251479

I received a call today from a detective investigating a closing a I facilitated in late 2006. I remembered the deal immediately because there was an out of state spouse that the TC did not know about and I had to go back a second time with re-drawn docs. As it turns out, the out of state spouse does not exist and the borrower I met with was never married to her. When I notarized Mr. Brw's signature I corrected the certificate by crossing out Mrs. Non-Ob's name, initialed the correction and added ONLY after Mr. Brw's name.

According to public records, the property has been foreclosed and is apparently under investigation for mortgage fraud. I called the detective back once I had my journal and a copy of the recorded deed and mortgage. I explained to the detective that I corrected the certificate so it would be clear that I only notarized the signature of the borrower and not the non-ob. Handwritten beneath my certificate are the words "For Jane Doe's signature 11/16/06" and it is signed and stamped by a GA notary. Thank goodness, my butt is covered. Too bad for the GA notary that seems to have no problem breaking the law.

Reply by LindaD/NJ on 6/16/08 1:14pm
Msg #251498

I got one from a lender today, there fraud unit closing from

last year. Glad all my ducks are in a row too! But for the life of me I don't remember the closing! Although I have everything recorded. They sent a copy of the mortgage and my notorial. It all fits. Her signature is the same as in my journal. Whewww

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.