Notary Rotary
Wisconsin question
Notary Discussion History

Wisconsin question
Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Ali/IL on 6/22/08 8:23pm
Msg #252539

Wisconsin question

A lender required borrower to sign in blue. I was told that Wisconsin doesn't allow blue colored signatures on mortgage doc. I am aware that my venue has to be in black ink.

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/22/08 8:28pm
Msg #252540

Re: Wisconsin question--old WI notary answer

It may have changed, but I doubt it. WI accepts both blue & black. Hopefully, a current WI notary will answer this. However, the blue/black business is most likely a Lender or TC requirement.

Reply by jojo_MN on 6/22/08 9:29pm
Msg #252544

I believe depends on the county. For example, in La Crosse County, if you submit a mortgage signed in blue ink, it will be returned. They only accept black ink. If a lender requires blue ink, I usually have the mortgage and any riders signed in black first, then put away the black ink pens and sign the rest in blue.

Reply by dickb/wi on 6/23/08 12:43pm
Msg #252598

i have yet to use blue ink since the change was made......

wi register of deeds asscn made the rule.......supposedly your signature can be in blue but nothing else....if you sign a doc in blue and then date it in blue it will be returned and not recorded......i refuse to buy blue pens and explain to the cos that want blue that i will be signing in black ink and none have had a problem with that...dane county where i am does not want blue and the want at least 10 font size.....we are considered a black only state...

Reply by Ali/IL on 6/23/08 3:20pm
Msg #252622

Re: i have yet to use blue ink since the change was made......

I am referring to the borrowers signing docs in blue and of course my certificate would be black.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 6/23/08 4:03pm
Msg #252637

Re: i have yet to use blue ink since the change was made......

No Everything on the mortgage doc would be in Black. Also any deeds, anything that gets recorded.

Reply by LisaWI on 6/23/08 5:17pm
Msg #252649

Re: Heres the thing........

some comps dont understand that this is a call for the recording office. They seem to think the lender makes the call on this issue and they are the almighty force.

I try to explain to them, Wisconsin is a Black Ink State when it comes to the recordables. They say "but the lender wants it that way". Well ok, I tried to warn you and Im just trying to make sure everything goes smoothly for you.

My notarial blocks are done in black. If they insist the sigs be in blue, they get sigs in blue. If it doesnt record............its in their lap.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 6/23/08 5:53pm
Msg #252657

Re: Heres the thing........

In my service area. we have one county that prefers black ink, and one that requires it. I've had signings in the latter where the company insisted on blue ink; I just told them "it ain't gonna record", referred them to the county clerk's web site, and let them make the decision. The compromise is to sign the recordables in black and everything else in blue.

I think sometimes they simply don't believe you if you tell them something; you've got to be able to show them that you're right.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.