Notary Rotary
Would you sign this?
Notary Discussion History

Would you sign this?
Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Dennis_IN on 6/3/08 9:59pm
Msg #249912

Would you sign this?

At the bottom of the Mortgage is an affirmation that I have been asked to sign by a SS (request from TC).

I affirm, under penalties of perjury. that I have taken reasonable care to redact each social security in this document, unless required by law.

Would or do you sign this?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/3/08 10:13pm
Msg #249913

I saw that once and didn't sign it

It's my belief that's up to the title company (or whoever is handling sending the mortgage for recording) to take care of that...

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/3/08 10:22pm
Msg #249914

Should add ..

or it's the responsibility of the document preparer...not me as a SA...I can't be expected to review the entire mortgage to be sure title has complied with this "redaction" statement...JMHO

Boy I wish my foresight was a good as my hindsight!!..I could make ONE post and be done!!..<G>

Reply by Susan Fischer on 6/3/08 10:50pm
Msg #249916

No.

"I affirm, under penalties of perjury. that I have taken reasonable care to redact each social security in this document, unless required by law."

It is incumbant upon the document preparer to comply with any law relating to the inclusion of social security numbers, not me.

I could not take this document to afford me the sudden "authorization" to change any other document in the stack. If I were, for instance, to "redact" the SSN from the 1003 with my trusty sharpie?

Nope, not me. I'd probably put a stickie on it saying something to that effect.

Reply by Dennis_IN on 6/3/08 11:06pm
Msg #249918

Re: No.

This is an Indiana Specific requirement that some lawmaker thought would protect the consumer from the threat of identity theft. Good idea, but totally unnecessary, have you ever seen the borrowers SS# in the body of a Mortgage? I haven't. The Lender is actually the one that needs to sigh the affirmation, but logistics put a burden on them to sign the original mtg. before recording (most provide a separate affirmation page) so the TC is responsible for getting the Aff. signed by the lender or they have to sign it. I agree, it is not a signing agent function to sign. I can't believe they are asking me to sign this.

Reply by PAW on 6/4/08 7:31am
Msg #249930

Re: No.

I agree Dennis, but Indiana isn't alone. Florida has many of the same rules. The Florida legislature has actually passed a law forbidding the inclusion of Social Security numbers in public records, such as mortgages.

Florida Statute 119.0721(5)(a) effective October 1, 2002, any person preparing or filing a document for recording in the official records shall not include a social security number, unless required by law.

Redaction of SSN's from documents is the responsibility of the author, document custodian or filer, according to our local recording clerk. IMO, certainly not the responsibility of a signing agent.

Reply by sue_pa on 6/4/08 7:11am
Msg #249928

NEVER. Why can't the title company sign it when they get it back for recording?

Reply by desktopfull on 6/4/08 7:36am
Msg #249931

Never. n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 6/4/08 7:37am
Msg #249932

No, absolutely not. That is for the prepare of the docs. I was also asked one time to sign on the HUD where the statement is, "I certify that the HUD I have prepared is true & correct".
I wouldn't sign--that is the tc's responsibility. We have specific responsibilities as a Notary and need to stick to the letter of the law on them.

Reply by OR on 6/4/08 12:18pm
Msg #249974

Re: Would you sign this? It depends if I

put the SSN on that doc or not. If I did yes. If I didn't then no

Reply by Dennis_IN on 6/4/08 12:22pm
Msg #249976

Thanks for reaffirming my thoughts

on this. Paw, I think the IN & FL statutes are very similar.
Realtors want the HUD signed all the time. Sorry, that is a TC function.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 6/4/08 6:24pm
Msg #250012

It's a "used to be law"

When I moved 2 yrs ago I found my first mortgage from 1972. My SS# was at the bottom of every page of all the document's, including the mortgage! At the same time, my grades on tests in college were posted by SS# as well. Never gave ID theft a thought!
Think of it, back then someone had to type it (with a typewriter) on every page!

Reply by Pat/IL on 6/4/08 8:23pm
Msg #250032

Re: What's a typewriter? n/m

Reply by sue_pa on 6/5/08 7:52am
Msg #250075

Re: What's a typewriter?

One of the credit union loans I do has a document with carbon paper. My daughter asked me what it was.

"Back in the day" there never was see attached Schedule A on a Mortgage or Deed. We typed in the description onto the document and then someone else would read it back to us. When we got the IBM Selectrics w/correction tape we thought we were in hog heaven. Along came the IBM Mag card and what rapture - we only had to type that crappin' 250 acre farm description one time !!!

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/5/08 10:15am
Msg #250098

Re: What's a typewriter?

I typed up the equivalents to 1003s and mortgage processed with a Selectric. It was heavenly not to have to use an eraser.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.