Notary Rotary
minor traveling
Notary Discussion History

minor traveling
Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Jose Venegas on 6/14/08 9:22am
Msg #251292

minor traveling

If a child is being sent to mexico with no parents and will be picked up by a relative in mexico what wording should the document containg granting approval for this child to travel by the parents . Child is traveling alone 11 years old.

Reply by DebMsocal on 6/14/08 9:35am
Msg #251293

Google is your friend, try googling "Consent to Travel" you will find the wording.

Reply by Sharon Taylor on 6/14/08 9:39am
Msg #251295

Consult the Mexican and U.S. Consulates, maybe?

There are a few attorneys on this forum, and perhaps one might know the answer and be able to assist you in his/her legal capacity, but most of the notaries on this forum are not attorneys and cannot therefore perform "unlicensed practice of law", which is an illegal act for a notary.
Since it is a very important document, may I suggest you contact the nearest branch of the Mexican Consulate, the U.S. Consulate, or the travel advisory section of the State Department, an attorney who can speak Mexican as well as English. In many larger areas, there is a social organization for Mexican-Americans or Spanish-Americans, and you may be able to locate one of those. If you attend a Catholic Church in your area, the priest might know someone who could help.
It would be good if you could find a responsible adult that you trust to travel with the child, maybe one who is going that way anyway and would agree to look after the child during the journey.

Reply by Gerry_VT on 6/14/08 9:42am
Msg #251296

When you say "sent" it sounds like a plane or bus. If so, check with the airline or bus line. They might tell you they won't allow a child that young to travel unaccompanied, and you will have to change your plans.

Reply by davidK/CA on 6/14/08 10:03am
Msg #251301

If you are going to notarize the signatures on the travel document (as a California notary Public) you cannot prepare the document, or even just print out the form. That activity is considered UPL, and you could lose your commission for doing so, or worse.

If you were not going to notarize the signature(s) on the document then you could research the proper wording and give the form to the parents. They could then have someone else do the required notarizations. Be careful here as well, as notarys are not allowed to prepare US immigration documents unless they are also attorneys.

The rules for travel to and from Mexico and the USA are constantly evolving since the geniuses at Homeland Security can't seem to stick to the program of controlling the border that the vast majority of US Citizens want them to do. At one time a simple letter was sufficient, but it may not be today or next week. It may be easier to get into Mexico than it is to get back into the USA so you need to be sure that both transits are covered correctly.

Reply by Becca_FL on 6/14/08 10:25am
Msg #251304

I have one on my website. n/m

Reply by Becca_FL on 6/14/08 10:26am
Msg #251305

Here is the link:

http://floridasnotary.com/Documents/Minor%20Travel%20Consent%20Form.pdf

or http://floridasnotary.com/resources.aspx click on Minor Consent to Travel.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/14/08 10:32am
Msg #251307

The airlines have their own rules as well, and since they vary from one to another, you need to check with the one you plan to use as well.

They also have people to accompany child to be sure child is not lost and/or handed to correct person on other end.

Reply by Tish/CA on 6/14/08 1:07pm
Msg #251327

"They also have people to accompany child to be sure child is not lost and/or handed to correct person on other end. "

...nice in theory but didn't we just hear about a 14 yr old boy walking aimlessly around one of our own airports dismayed and confused. I have an 11 yr old, 13 yr old and a 16 yr old and i would never send either younger child off on their own counting on some airport personnel to look after their well being and navigate them from gate to gate. I know people do it, I just wouldn't. Now my 16 yr old, well that's another story...sorry, off topic but jeeps!!

Reply by jba/fl on 6/14/08 1:30pm
Msg #251331

The service of which I spoke requires payment. I don't know a thing of the 'confused 14 yr old', perhaps his parents gave him more credit to navigate the terminals than he had ability. Perhaps he is a 'true male' who never asks for directions, that is not the issue here.

Each airline has something in place for guiding children, there is a charge. 1 child is X$, 2nd at same price, 3rd changes the amt. (this is one airline I checked and I did not check them all.) The only reason I even know is that we have 2 children coming down from up north later this summer. We will be looking for a non-changing planes flight. Parents (again, advance preparation) may accompany child to the boarding gate, and pu at gate at destination.

This service is available, not FREE, must plan ahead. Since I just about had my car rammed yesterday at a convenience store for 'timing' a man who left his child in the car w/the motor running while he shopped and I brought to his attention that it is against the law to do so and that he left his child in a precarious situation w/the motor running and he didn't like my speech, he was about to ram my car when 3 more pulled into the store and I guess he thought he had better change tactics. My point: children require planning, and many don't bother. "This won't happen to my child " is a wastful phrase and indicates to me that as a parent you don't give a s**t about your child, that that child is an inconvenience to you. (Please, not any of you individually, you, the great massive plural)

thanks for the vent.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/14/08 1:54pm
Msg #251334

Back story to my vent:
Tues. evening, 26 yr. old woman went running in the park. She parked a few houses down from mine in the park. That is the last time anyone saw her alive. She was murdered about a mile down the trail, the talking heads have no clue how, the sheriff's office is remaining mum until after the autopsy as to how, and since I know autopsy must have been done already, I am assuming that they are being prudent in their lack of information.

Knowing that murder in the neighborhood has taken place, knowing that people steal cars w/infants and toddlers inside, knowing that children die in cars (had one recently in Orlando) while alone, why would one subject their most precious beings thusly? I just don't get it and these are the parents who cry the most bitterly, and my sympathy is not there for them at all, but for the victim.

This murder has shaken me gravely...Such sick people in this world, and now in my backyard. UGH

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/16/08 1:35am
Msg #251463

Just a caution about "direct" flights, or "non changing planes flights". A few years ago, I made travel arrangements for my elderly mother to visit here. She doesn't get around too well on her own and needs help getting on and off the plane, so I intentionally booked flights where she wouldn't have to change planes. There was one stop, but the plane was supposed to continue on to her city. Unfortunately, there weren't enough people on that flight, so they combined it with another one and she had to change planes anyway. I was NOT a happy camper! If you can find non-stop flights vs. direct flights, you will be much less likely to have problems. Unfortunately - especially these days - that's not always an option.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.