Notary Rotary
new at signing agent & inspection :)
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by Beverly Walsh on 6/24/08 10:50am
Msg #252711

I'm a relatively new notary that is trying to get into being a viable signing agent and inspector (maybe even an abstractor too) located in Missouri. Instead of paying over $100 for a book, is there any info online for free or at a nominal cost? Not trying to be cheap, but realistic in today's instable financial world Smile Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, wondering if the $84 to become a premier member of notary rotary is really worth the price.

Reply by Carole Breckbill on 6/24/08 10:54am
Msg #252712

Thank you for the opportunity to tell you what I think of Notary Rotary. I signed up as a member some 18 months ago at no charge. A few weeks ago I signed up as a Premier member - not because of all the referrals (although there were some) - but because I found that NotRot is THE PREMIER source for all information that is valuable in this industry. Try it and make up your own mind. I, for one, am grateful for NotRot.

Reply by notaryinmo on 6/24/08 2:56pm
Msg #252733

Thanks for replying to my post earlier - i've been busy reading threads all day, learning how other people have done Smile

Thanks for trying to assist a "newbie"!

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/24/08 11:03am
Msg #252714

First, read message # 33325. 2nd, realize that this business is in a bad slump right now. 3rd, scroll down the page or go to previous page & find a message dealing with a terrific list of inspection co's for a very reasonable $9.95. 4th, the scrolling/reading & ORANGE search button are your best friend.

Reply by notaryinmo on 6/24/08 2:53pm
Msg #252731

wow!!! A HUGE thank you for alerting me to that thread! I've been reading since way before lunch and still am not finished yet.

It's a relief to find a group of people who don't have a problem teaching one to swim, but still there in the event they are needed again!

Reply by Tony_FL on 6/24/08 11:05am
Msg #252715

Both of these were just covered ...

in the past few days. Take the time to read the threads over the past week or so and you will find a lot of good, valuable information there. There are MANY knowledgeable people here on this site. Take advantage of their wisdom (and some of the sarcasm too) because THEY have been through the UPs and DOWNS already. The majority of them speak from experience, as well as from the heart.

Reply by notaryinmo on 6/24/08 2:51pm
Msg #252729

Re: Both of these were just covered ...

I wanted to give you a HUGE thank you for alerting me to that thread! I've been reading since way before lunch, and with all the interruptions for my "day job", have only been about 1/2 way through them.

It is just a relief to find a group of people who have no problem helping people learn to fish and being available to assist in the event it's needed!

Reply by Charles_Ca on 6/24/08 3:09pm
Msg #252734

Day job??? The part-timers taking lowball assignments

have destroyed this busines for many professional notary's. Please make sure that you charge a fair price for your services. A price that reflects the real costs of this business and not pricing based on using someone elses equipment and supplies. For only if evryone charges a realistic price for your services will everyone do well.

Reply by notaryinmo on 6/24/08 3:22pm
Msg #252736

Re: Day job??? The part-timers taking lowball assignments

too funny! my "day job" consists of having my OWN business that I take very seriously. Even though marketing efforts on a daily basis have resulted in a very low return rate thus far, my efforts at making an honest living (without price gouging) to provide services to those less fortunate than I, make my final reward more than mere money Smile

By the way, since I've joined NotRot, i've already had two signings and have charged no less than $125.00 on each (in the event it's really any of your business)

thanks for your warm/welcoming post!

Please take this post in the intent it was deemed necessary Smile

Reply by Charles_Ca on 6/24/08 3:28pm
Msg #252739

Deemed necessary??? Just what do you mean by that? n/m

Reply by hcampersFL on 6/24/08 3:49pm
Msg #252742

Deemed necessary??? Just what do you mean by that?...HUH??

I just don't get it. People are giving great info, not slamed in anyway and still TRY ( I use the word loosely) to be a smart ass! Why am I not suprised??????

Reply by hcampersFL on 6/24/08 3:50pm
Msg #252743

Re: Deemed necessary??? Just what do you mean by that?...HUH??

giving = given

Reply by notaryinmo on 6/24/08 4:58pm
Msg #252768

Re: Deemed necessary??? Just what do you mean by that?...HUH??

If you considered that a remark is given without respect knowing the full circumstances, I'd think you would also take umbarrage to someone seemingly to be disprepecting what you're trying to accomplish.

If you took offense, please accept my apoligies. Once again, I do thank any and all helpful information that I've received to the original post Smile

Reply by notaryinmo on 6/24/08 4:54pm
Msg #252765

Re: Deemed necessary??? Just what do you mean by that?

Charles: I understand you may have been trying to help, but I took your comments as somewhat rude and unnecessary about my "day job".

I'm just trying to learn as much as I can and do the best notary assignments I'm presented with that does justice to the entire notary world.

If anyone reads the other posts I've replied to, please keep in mind that my thanks to them were written in the sincerest form of gratitude for the information I've been given - I once again thank them!

Reply by Charles_Ca on 6/24/08 5:36pm
Msg #252784

Your smarmyness is crap, as is your veneer of niceness! n/m

Reply by sue_pa on 6/24/08 7:41pm
Msg #252808

.... Even though marketing efforts on a daily basis have resulted in a very low return rate thus far, my efforts at making an honest living (without price gouging) to provide services to those less fortunate than I, make my final reward more than mere money ...

I dont understand what you are saying. Are you talking about something other than closings here? If not, you truly need enlightened because this business is about making money (look at a TIL and the broker's fees) - there are none less fortunate than us in the chain (except perhaps the abstractors) - we are at the bottom of the pay scale with more and more services being requested for no additional compensation. If you are talking about closings, please find another job because the majority of us do this for a reward (very poor choice of a word because we EARN our money - it's not a reward) of money - there is nothing altruistic in this business, especially at our level.

Again, perhaps I misunderstood.

Reply by notaryinmo on 6/24/08 10:09pm
Msg #252827

I'm not talking about closings making money - i've no intention of getting rich in performing notarial services. I was referring the the "day job" i had mentioned in an earlier post.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/24/08 8:38pm
Msg #252815

I think you may have taken Charles' comments a little too personally (or did they just hit too close to home??) Up to this point, I was thinking that maybe we finally had another newbie who gets it and is at the very least making the effort to read before spouting off. Kudos to you for that much! I think, however, that Charles' comments make a lot of sense in the context of what has been posted in this board in the past, and the way many new-to-the-business people operate.

For many on this board, this has been a full-time occupation and primary means of support - sometimes for families, too. It does hurt everyone, in more ways than one, when someone new comes along just to make some extra pin money and prices themselves at an unrealistic level. That may not apply to you at all (I hope not), but it is valid advice, in my opinion, nonetheless....

Reply by notaryinmo on 6/24/08 10:23pm
Msg #252829

thank you for understanding what i was honestly referring to. Charles' comments didn't "hit home" with how I've priced notarial assignments (I've no intention of working for free or for low scaleand have already turned down a few jobs because IMHO, they just weren't worth an hour long drive one way for $75.)

However, due to him (and possibly others) who have decided that I am working at this part time instead of incorporating it into my core business, it was taken as an insult as he assumed I was low-balling the fees.

I have spent countless hours researching Missouri Notary Law, have placed many calls to the SOS office to clarify something I didn't understand and thought that the best place other than that to get real life advice was NotRot.

I placed a simple statement, asking for advice on a few subjects - and with one poster who didn't know (or need to know) my situation, I've been faced with a few unneeded remarks about me low-balling fees. There are however, countless others, who have given me the best advice they could give me and for that, I am truly grateful for their assistance.

I have been receiving calls for signing assignments and inspections...I just want to make sure that I do the best job I can so I can get more assignments and to make sure I do justice to Notaries all across the nation.

Thank you again for being understanding in my true quest Smile

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/24/08 10:35pm
Msg #252833

"I placed a simple statement, asking for advice on a few subjects - and with one poster who didn't know (or need to know) my situation, I've been faced with a few unneeded remarks about me low-balling fees."

Except that's not what Charles said at all. He didn't say you WERE lowballing your fees, he was giving you the advice not to lowball your fees so you would actually have a shot at success. But, just as so many newbies before you have done, you decided to take it as a rude comment and get offended instead of seeing it as the simple and good advice it is.

But on a personal level, and feel free to take offense at this, enough with the freaking smiley faces already. It's really not necessary to include them in most of your posts, it makes you look like a 14 year old girl who dots all her I's with hearts.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 6/24/08 10:44pm
Msg #252836

Thanks Janet but Beverly Walsh's, notary nimno's comments

are based on her cupidity. I get really incensed at the newbies, no not all newbies but the really entitlement minded idiots who come on here and believe that just because they managed to pass the notary test (does Missouri even have one) that they are equal to all the others on here like yourself, and sue/pa, and the others who have been working at this business and working it successfully for years who now are assaulted by someone who just wants all that hard earned information handed to them on a sliver platter and when someone has the temerity to say something that in their special little lexicon is not what they wanted to hear they are all self-righteous and outraged. Well notary nimno has no idea that there are people here who have responded to her comments who are signing services, loan originators, notary network members and others who could be valuable allies that notary nimno has just alienated to the point where if there was no other notary available I personally would pay to have an attorney close the deal just so as to avoid having to use notary nimno and her ilk! And lest anyone think that I am mistaking her alias, Nimno was a term coined by Robin Williams on the show Mork and Mindy (for those old enough to remember)that describes Beverly Walsh to a "T."

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/24/08 4:03pm
Msg #252747

Thank you, Charles. Spot on. n/m

Reply by notaryinmo on 6/24/08 5:01pm
Msg #252771

Re: Thank you, Charles. Spot on.

Please read all posts before responding.

I'm sure that this was posted before I had a chance to reply Smile

Reply by Jimmy_FL on 6/24/08 2:53pm
Msg #252730

The best thing is the orange search button. This is the best site in my opinion by far and there are alot of very knowledeable people on this board that I have learned a great deal from. Good luck to you.

Reply by notaryinmo on 6/24/08 2:54pm
Msg #252732

thanks! I've been reading and reading...lol (and learning too!)

Reply by notaryinmo on 6/24/08 3:24pm
Msg #252737

thank you Jimmy. I've been reading all day and have learned a lot (although not as much as needed yet...lol)

Reply by MikeC/NY on 6/24/08 5:48pm
Msg #252786

As far as signing agent is concerned, others have already made the best suggestion - start with Message #33325, and go from there. Read as much as you can, and realize that this is a declining business in a declining market.

For inspections, check out http://SOFI.macwebsitebuilder.com for starters. There are a number of Google groups dedicated to field inspections (Brenda, help me out here - I forgot the web address for your group), and you can get an inexpensive list of companies who hire field inspectors at http://floridasnotary.com/fieldinspectorlist.aspx

Abstracting - forget it, unless you're willing to devote years to learning how to do it properly. It's not something you can learn online or from a book.

Finally - yes, it's worth it to become a premier member. A lot of people (myself included) saw the investment paid back within weeks, if not sooner. It may take longer in this market, but I think it's still worth it.

Good luck - you're getting into this business at the worst time, but that can often be the best time to learn how to do it right...

Reply by Loretta on 6/24/08 6:39pm
Msg #252801

Hey Harry....

Could you make us a button for newbies.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 6/24/08 8:02pm
Msg #252810

Loretta, how about a design-a-newbie button contest???

Do you ahve any ideas for the button?

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/24/08 10:37pm
Msg #252834

Here's my entry

http://wiw.org/~jess/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/cletus.gif

Reply by notaryinmo on 6/24/08 10:39pm
Msg #252835

Re: Loretta, how about a design-a-newbie button contest???

Charles: Perhaps had you not responded as you did, none of the bickering back and forth would have taken place.

I felt you insulted what I'm trying to do - be a successful Notary Public, make money and help people with their needs (services)

In my office, we've taken the needs of the clients first...it was they who asked if we had a notary on staff....that was 4 months ago and now, they are asking for additional services. When clients began asking for a mobile notary, we knew it was time to take being a Notary a little further. After much research - reading every thing we could find (including at the library) and calling MO SOS, we learned what was needed to be a successful signing agent and inspector. After the first two signings and a few inspections, even though things seemed to go well, we wanted to make perfectly sure that we had everything right - that's when I posted to the board.

The prices we've posted are not low-ball prices. They are actually somewhat higher in that I live in a rural area and have to travel more than 30 miles in a lot of instances. It's only fair that I ask for additional mileage because the TC's want me to travel all over.

I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know that if you were offended by my remarks, I'm sorry - although I was offended by your remarks as well.

As for any other posts you've posted since the inception of your first comment to me, I do hope that this post will alleviate any hard feelings you have of me.

Yes, I can be considered a newbie - although you were new at one time, as every person here was. I really don't find your comments humourous, although if you do - please laugh yourself silly. As far as my remarks being swarmy, well - let's just say that one sows what one reaps Smile As far as my niceness is swarmy as well - i can honestly say that i'm nice when i'm not being insulted.

As thumpers mom said - If you can't say anything nice about someone, don't say anything at all.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 6/24/08 10:50pm
Msg #252837

Msg 252836 says it, so now you can really be offended! n/m

Reply by notaryinmo on 9/4/08 4:15pm
Msg #263207

Re: Msg 252836 says it, so now you can really be offended!

Because the forum is only lightly moderated, we ask that all users govern themselves in accordance with common standards of decency and professionalism. We are not responsible for the opinions of others nor do we condone or support unfounded accusations, personal attacks or other generally bad behavior.

Reply by notaryinmo on 6/24/08 10:05pm
Msg #252824

thank you Mike!! I'm glad that there are still a lot of people willing to help teach a newbie the ropes.

It's people like you who make it worthwhile to stay reading the boards in the hopes of finding good, solid info

My heartfelt thanks again for your suggestions Smile

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/25/08 5:57am
Msg #252846

**(Brenda, help me out here - I forgot the web address for your group), **

The group link is in my profile.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.