Notary Rotary
overnight package to borrower
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2008 Index

Posted by MSFlorida on 6/30/08 4:19pm
Msg #253681

Just received a call today from Title Co. that overnights docs to borrower stating that there was a document that was not signed in package when they received back. However not saying that I am perfect but I have completed over 705 closings for this particular Title with no mistakes. I kind of feel like the document was never in package to begin with. All my packages are tripled checked before dropping. How would you handle this I did tell them to go ahead and send to me and I would take care of it. But how do I know if this doc was really in the overnight package to borrower?

Reply by PA_NOTARY on 6/30/08 4:36pm
Msg #253687

few questions, how much work do you do for these guys and didn't the borrower get a copy?
if you still do allot of work for them and it's not real far, maybe it's worth the drive. Does it have to be notarized, if not can't the borrower just sign it and mail it back.....

Reply by MikeC/NY on 6/30/08 7:14pm
Msg #253703

Everybody makes mistakes; if, as you say, you've completed 700+ closings for this company and they've never questioned your work before, it's still possible that you missed a document this time.

I would check with the BO - if it wasn't in their packet, chances are it was never sent. Assuming the BO doesn't have a copy of the allegedly unsigned document, you have a choice - suck it up and "fix" the problem, or insist on being paid for a second trip. You need to weigh the 700+ successful closings plus possible additional business against the inconvenience of fixing their foul-up, and then decide what works best in your interest.

OTOH, if the borrower DOES have a copy of the document, I think your only choice is to admit to a missed signature and just go out and fix it.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 6/30/08 9:05pm
Msg #253714

If I did 700 closings for one particular company

I'd do it just as a courtesy to a good client, even if they botched it and it wasn't even a notarized doc. I wouldn't dream of asking for a trip fee on a one time deal like this, with such a productive client.
JMHO

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/30/08 10:17pm
Msg #253717

Amen to that

The bigger picture is much more important than one individual signing. If they gave you 700 signings they have earned the benefit of the doubt.

Reply by Ernest__CT on 7/1/08 12:49am
Msg #253725

Agree. Get it done and move on. n/m

Reply by DebbieT on 7/1/08 6:55am
Msg #253737

Re: Docs sent directly to borrower. Hmmmm

Dont think that the borrowers wont secretly take one out of the packet either. Just another scenerio to think about.

Reply by MSFlorida on 7/1/08 7:25am
Msg #253741

I appreciate all the replies. Sorry didn't respond earlier left right after posting for a closing
that took a very long time. Yes I sucked it up. Then I received the docs that needed to be signed no notary needed for docs. Notice I said docs not just one. Apparently this borrower
was going to cancel due to escrows be taken out. He wanted to pay his own. So we are resigning the acknowledgment concerning your loan , HUD, Escrow Waiver and First payment letter. Title Co. did call back and apologized for the mix up and they are paying me to go back out again. So all is well. But my main focus was how do you keep track of the docs that were overnighted to borrower so you can CYA? Do you write down the pages that were in the package?

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/1/08 8:47am
Msg #253747

Writing down each page is not worth the effort. The only thing I do is make a note as to whether or not the "original" package was sealed or open when I got there. If open, I politely ask if 'everything is intact, because if things got mixed up and you accidently removed one while comparing this to that, your loan won't fund'.... Infrequently, I'll get a sheepish grin and a missing doc appears. I also tell TC whether or not package was open upon my arrival. If sealed, TC knows that it's their fault a doc is missing. None of these methods are fail-safe.

Reply by Sharon Taylor on 7/1/08 8:59am
Msg #253748

Great advice, Lee - I'm going to start doing that

Generally borrowers are good about leaving the packages unopened, but now and then I get borrowers who have opened both their package and the one labelled "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL NOTARY ARRIVES".

Reply by MSFlorida on 7/1/08 9:10am
Msg #253751

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll start implementing this from now on. When I call to confirm appt. I usually let them know that they may look at the package marked borrower's copies and call LO if they have questions prior to me coming out. But please leave the notary package alone.

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/1/08 10:11am
Msg #253760

Experience counts! Started doing this after the lady who, I swear, shuffled both packages together & split mess in half. I got them all pretty & in a folder. About 5 pages into 'sign here', I'm totally confused as to why there are duplicates of 'this' and I can't find a HUD or other standard docs anywhere. I say 'this package appears to be missing a lot of documents and I'm going to have to call the TC so we all don't waste a lot of time'. Husband glares at wife; wife blushes & disappears. Returns with 'the rest of the papers' and I sat there forever trying to reassemble the mess. Thank heaven, it was a small package!

Reply by CF on 7/1/08 11:30am
Msg #253769

That is so crazy that someone would do that? I am glad to have never had that happen!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.