Notary Rotary
Closing in Attorney's office
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2009 Index

Posted by Pierces Notary Services on 12/22/09 9:44am
Msg #315375

I have a closing for a TC today that the borrower wants to be done in their attorney's office so he can review the loan docs. What do you do then, let the attorney go through the package with the borrower and I just notarize docs?

Reply by SShoreDude on 12/22/09 10:03am
Msg #315379

Yes, and you don't have to explain or discuss anything with borrower, besides the weather, let the attorney do all that.

Reply by SharonMN on 12/22/09 10:12am
Msg #315382

Set timing expectations - it sounds like this borrower might be well suited to receiving the docs ahead of time, reviewing with her attorney, and THEN meeting with you when ready to sign. If bwr and the attorney want to negotiate terms with the lender, you don't want to waste your time sitting there.

Reply by Lee/AR on 12/22/09 10:18am
Msg #315383

You're fine until the B wants to sign Andrew Arther Anderson with a big, bold "A"... and says that's his legal signature and the attorney backs him up and everybody refuses to talk to title, lender, lo. But, generally, it's an easy signing, just notarize.

Reply by Frances Kany on 12/22/09 11:47am
Msg #315407

I work a part time job in an attorney's office. In my experience they generally want to get it over with quickly and get on to something that makes them real money, in their opinion. I agree that sending over the docs early might help.

Reply by Kevin/Ct on 12/22/09 12:40pm
Msg #315417

Normally the attorney will request a copy of the doc package in advance in order to review its contents. You conduct the closing in the normal fashion, but before you have the borrower sign you show the document to the attorney so that he can confirm there have been no changes since the documents he previously received and reviewed.

If the attorney was not able to get an advance copy of the doc package...you are in for a long closing.

Reply by Todd/OH on 12/22/09 4:45pm
Msg #315443

I happen to agree with Frances. The attorney will assist his client but will otherwise have little patience for a "time waster". Appointments like this don't make them any $$.

Reply by Frank/NC on 12/22/09 5:40pm
Msg #315448

I find these generally easier to do with no time wasted. The client usually sits with the attorney for a few minutes and then signs docs without questions.

Reply by MonicaFL on 12/23/09 7:23am
Msg #315519

I'm surprised that the attorney doesn't have an employee who is a notary!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.