Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Equity Title .. soliciting $ from me for their Xmas Party!!!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2009 Index

Posted by mwm143 on 12/8/09 1:25pm
Msg #313499

This has GOT to be a first!!! Below is an excerpt from their holiday email received today.
I'll say this much...they certainly have some BIG Christmas Bals!!

"This year, we are asking our Partners in lieu of sending in baskets, chocolates, and other fine gifts to consider sending in a holiday contribution. This will help us extend your appreciation throughout Equity National. We will use the contributions received to plan a holiday event for your family here at Equity National. We will extend our gratitude to you by announcing our holiday party sponsors at our gathering."

Reply by Teresa/FL on 12/8/09 1:27pm
Msg #313500

I got it too. Why do they think we would want to fund their holiday party? I seriously doubt they will get many takers on this suggestion!

Reply by PAW on 12/8/09 1:40pm
Msg #313501

You've got to remember we're not the only group getting this email. Their other 'partners,' brokers and associates may want to contribute to the party for the notoriety.

Reply by MW/VA on 12/8/09 8:10pm
Msg #313565

I interpreted it the same way, Paul. I think it was their way of saying they don't want gifts sent. Many companies discourage that. I would never think they were looking for me to contribute to their Christmas party fund.

Reply by John/CT on 12/8/09 1:54pm
Msg #313504

Re: Equity Title Xmas Party!!!

Hmmm ... I wonder if there is also a not too subtle message: No contribution = No calls. Frown

Reply by PAW on 12/8/09 1:57pm
Msg #313505

Re: Equity Title Xmas Party!!!

I really don't think so, John. They do live up to their end of the agreement, so I don't think there is an ulterior motive on their part. (Of course, I may be wrong. I have been at least once in the past. Smile)

Reply by Charles_Ca on 12/8/09 1:59pm
Msg #313507

Re: Equity Title Xmas Party!!! A better question might be

how does this fly with RESPA?

Reply by mwm143 on 12/8/09 2:13pm
Msg #313510

Incredible bad taste in this economy. Give to charity NOT

to corporations so they can have their holiday party at Mortons instead of Outback.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 12/8/09 2:20pm
Msg #313515

Funny I got the email asking for donation told my husband that was a first. I've never had any buz from them but I should dish out hard earned cash.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 12/8/09 2:27pm
Msg #313519

Yeah, me too. I've never been called by them for a job so

I'm certainly not going to be sending them money for their Christmas party! Really dumb move on their part, for a variety of reasons.

Reply by PAW on 12/8/09 2:40pm
Msg #313521

Re: Yeah, me too. I've never been called by them for a job so

I've done a lot for Equity National over the years, but not enough to consider being a sponsor!

Reply by MichiganAl on 12/8/09 4:02pm
Msg #313533

Taaaaaaaaaaaacky. n/m

Reply by Jess/CT on 12/8/09 4:21pm
Msg #313538

They even say a party for "your family", yeah right! n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 12/8/09 7:29pm
Msg #313559

Re: They even say a party for "your family", yeah right!

As though it were an alumni association...ugh!

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/8/09 5:52pm
Msg #313551

ROFLMAO...Have I got a deal for you!

Please, any of you who send THEM a contribution, please let me also help you. I'll be contributing to The Human Fund on behalf of all Notrotters. Just send your cash gifts to me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strike_%28Seinfeld%29

"...George... makes up his own charity called the "The Human Fund."...George's boss, Mr. Kruger, gives George a check for $20,000 to "The Human Fund" but later the accounting department informs him the charity doesn't exist. Gwen learns from Kramer that Jerry is seeing another woman; Kramer saw her on the street and she looked so different that Kramer thought she was someone else. Gwen thinks Jerry is two-timing her with an ugly woman. George tries to convince Kruger that he passed out the fake gift cards because he didn't want to be ridiculed for the holiday his family traditionally celebrates, Festivus. To prove it, George brings Kruger to his father's Festivus dinner, where everyone comes together, including Gwen and the two guys at the off-track betting parlor...."

Ah, Seinfeld holiday memories... Smile

Reply by Pat/IL on 12/8/09 5:56pm
Msg #313552

Festivus! The holiday for the rest of us! n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/8/09 6:17pm
Msg #313553

Yes, those were the REAL days...bring Seinfeld BACK! n/m

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 12/8/09 7:43pm
Msg #313562

Re: My holiday party

I have a great idea! Business has been slow around here lately so..You could all help MY family celebrate Christmas in Hawaii by sending me your contributions we would all appreciate it!! Thank You ..Happy Holidays!

Just kidding!

Reply by Ali/IL on 12/8/09 9:18pm
Msg #313578

Re: My holiday party

You people are too funny!

Reply by Maureen_nh on 12/8/09 9:43pm
Msg #313581

My first thought was, is this a joke?
Lots of agents do , as a marketing tool, of send gifts to various schedualers or other contacts at title cos. Many find that is an effective business tool for them.
I neither want or need high volume at this stage of my life and am pretty careful where I allocate my funds. (translation --I am penurious-translation--cheap) So I don't contribute to the expansion of their waistlines ( I hope you all appreciate this--PARTNERS Smile)
So anyway , instead of boxes of homemade cookies or coupns for overpriced coffee, they want to make whoopie "Their Way"
Save your baking and shipping charges and just send them the moola OR make a nice donation in their name to a charity of your choice.

Reply by Jocelyn/NJ on 12/9/09 3:50pm
Msg #313711

We have been partners with Equity National for many years. They are an absolute gem of a company to work for and with. Quite honestly I wish we had more title companies like Equity. A process that is second to none in this industry. Paper work that is in-order all the time, appointments that very rarely cancel, mortgage companies that confirm paper work with the borrowers. There are no surprises with Equity closings.

I felt no pressure to contribute to their holiday party and they are not the type of people to not send you orders if you don't contribute. They are more likely not to send you orders if your work is sub-standard.

In the many years my husband and I have worked with Equity we have never had to call them once for a missing payment, late payment, late documents, or cancelled closings. I am truly honored to have them as a part of my business.

Let's remember what is truly important in being successful in the notary signing business and trash the companies that truly need to be trashed. You know the ones. Paper work that is a mess, closings that never complete, loan officers that lie to thier clients, late paper work etc....

Reply by mwm143 on 12/10/09 7:28am
Msg #313818

Clearly then an organized company can still be tacky.

I don't care if they pay $200 per closing (upfront) with 50 page packages that are overnighted to you 3 days in advance. For a company to request money from anyone they do business with to fund their holiday party is beyond cheap and tasteless.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 12/10/09 9:28am
Msg #313823

Maybe a good intention gone wild ...

It's quite possible the intention was there, and it may have been meant more 'friend to friend' than is really reasonable in a business-to-business relationship? Something that grew out of a back-room conversation about "....all those boxes of candy ...." and considered "...well, what IF ...." and it morphed into the e-mail 'suggestion'.

I find it hard to believe it got past all the legal-eyes, because it really does cause one's 'RESPA' eyebrow to raise in a somewhat quizzical expression.

Not to mention that it's just tacky.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 12/10/09 8:34pm
Msg #313922

Re: Maybe a good intention gone wild ...

I don't believe they were truly soliciting money from their "Vendor Partners," but the wording of this email was not ideal. I too would prefer to receive cash instead of fattening chocolates or candy, but I'm not about to send out an email to everyone I know stating this preference.

I am grateful for whatever "gifts" may come my way, especially the gift of more work!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.