Notary Rotary
Ever had a request to proctor an exam?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2009 Index

Posted by Julie/MI on 12/30/09 1:43pm
Msg #316114

Person called today as they need to retake a portion of an exam to get certified in personal training and the company said if she doesn't want to drive to the exam location, they will send the exam and booklet to the notary and the exam takes about 2 hours.

I don't think I'm interested in a 2 hour job but I have never heard of this, have any of you?

Reply by Frances Kany on 12/30/09 3:00pm
Msg #316124

Not this scenario exactly but one of my friends does proctor exams for students for various exams. She enjoys it but I have never done it. She just charges by the hour but I have never asked her how much. Just figure up how much your time is worth and charge accordingly if you are interested. Another income stream it sounds like. I am always up for another income stream but I try to figure out my costs BEFORE entering into something.

Reply by oldhippie_IL on 12/30/09 3:01pm
Msg #316125

Yes, I did it once for a man that was taking a driver's license test for another state. It took about 20 minutes for him to do the test. Just sat there and did paperwork.

Reply by LKT/CA on 12/30/09 3:25pm
Msg #316129

Traffic school tests (in CA) have to be proctored by a Notary and the person's signature notarized. Since it only takes less than two minutes to take the test, I only charge for the notarization and travel. I definitely would proctor a test, charging by the hour, plus travel and the notarization.

Notaries are often hired for non-notary work because we are state appointed public officers that are disinterested third parties and our commission gives the inference of "integrity and honesty".

Reply by JanetK_CA on 12/31/09 2:37am
Msg #316197

The time it takes seems to depend on which traffic school they go to. I've gotten several of those recently since my county started doing the same thing. I charge them a very nominal additional fee to sit there while they take the test (and try to get their ID and complete my journal while that happens...) I quote each fee separately so there is no confusion as to how much I'm charging for the notarization part. No one has even hesitated so far.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 12/31/09 3:25am
Msg #316202

Same here... I've done quite a few Traffic School Exams. Mostly, I get a lot of them for people who got tickets in Kern County, which requires ID verification on exams. I live near the LA/Kern county border, and a lot of people get tickets on the roads out there.

I usually meet them at the library or McDonald's or something and treat it as normal notary work.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 12/30/09 3:30pm
Msg #316130

I've Done it Once...

...& would do it again depending on how much I'm able to charge. In fact now that I think about it the woman I proctored for the 1st time was taking an exam in personal training as well. It didn't take her but an hour to complete if I remember correctly.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.