Notary Rotary
Mortgage
Notary Discussion History

Mortgage
Go Back to December, 2009 Index

Posted by ko/FL on 12/2/09 5:54am
Msg #312711

Mortgage

Is is mandatory that the mtg be initial? I was under the assumption that only if the hiring party requesting it otherwise not.

Thanks for your input.

Reply by GA/Atty on 12/2/09 5:56am
Msg #312712

You are correct! n/m

Reply by CopperheadVA on 12/2/09 6:27am
Msg #312714

I only have the Mortgage/DOT initialed if there are initial lines at the bottom of the pages or if I have specific instructions to have it initialed. Otherwise, no initials.

Reply by ko/FL on 12/2/09 6:33am
Msg #312715

There were no lines, I got a deduction in pay.

Reply by PAW on 12/2/09 6:37am
Msg #312717

Question ...

You got a deduction for having the pages initialed when there were no "lines" there?

Reply by MW/VA on 12/2/09 7:30am
Msg #312718

To initial or not to initial--I think it's a tc decision. To make a deduction from your fee is lousy.

Reply by PAW on 12/2/09 6:36am
Msg #312716

As a 10/3 (notary/signing agent years), you should know this. It has been discussed ad infinitum here and on other forums and boards.

Many signing agents get all pages initialed regardless of instructions or whether or not initial "lines" are present. Others don't get each page initialed unless specific, written instructions say to get them initialed or there are initial "lines" on each page. I am of the latter persuasion. My philosophy is if I'm not directed to do something, then I don't do it.

Reply by ko/FL on 12/2/09 11:58am
Msg #312800

No, there were no instructions to do so and no lines otherwise I would have complied.

I am not going to fight for $25.

Reply by PAW on 12/2/09 12:23pm
Msg #312808

I would fight for it. Even if it were $10, I'd fight. In this business you have more time than money, so use the time to send emails, call on the phone, etc. You just might recover your lost earnings. (Unless there was a specific reason that they haven't told you about.)

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/2/09 12:29pm
Msg #312811

Re: Mortgage...okay..now *I'M* confused

There were no instructions and no lines - but you had it initialed? Or you didn't have it initialed..I went back and re-read this thread and can't figure out which scenario is the correct one.

If you didn't have them initialed, IMO you were correct and you should be paid. However, if you took it upon yourself to have the pages initialed without instructions to do so or absent lines for initials, then the company may be justified in docking your pay - it's up to them to justify it to you though.

As to your initial question "is it mandatory?" - only from a lender perspective - that's a lender-specific requirement.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 12/2/09 12:35pm
Msg #312814

The way I'm reading it is:

She did not have mortgage initialed on each page
There were no initial lines on mortgage pages
There were no instructions to have the pages of the mortgage initialed
SS deducted $25 from her pay because she did not have the mortgage initialed

I'm with PAW, I would fight for it, too - it's the principal of the thing.

Reply by ko/FL on 12/2/09 1:01pm
Msg #312818

Copperhead summed it up. You are all correct. I should fight for the amount due.

Thanks again,

Reply by ko/FL on 12/2/09 1:01pm
Msg #312819

Copperhead summed it up. You are all correct. I should fight for the amount due.

Thanks again,

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/2/09 1:04pm
Msg #312821

Okay..thank you...now I get it...

and I agree - you should be paid.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.