Reply by Cari on 12/10/09 12:23pm
Msg #313854

hey newbie use the orange Search button for Newbies... n/m

Reply by Yoli/CA on 12/10/09 12:25pm
Msg #313855

Contact info's in SC. n/m

Reply by Todd/OH on 12/10/09 1:00pm
Msg #313865

Use this site as a research reference. You don't use this site to sign up with signing services. That's not the purpose. Notaries use this site to compare notes.

Like the rest of us, do your research.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/10/09 1:04pm
Msg #313866

Tab up top "Signing Central"....

then top right icon for list of signing companies - brings up alphabetical list of companies to contact...

Reply by lowerAL on 12/10/09 4:25pm
Msg #313894

Re: Tab up top "Signing Central"....

did you not know that it is a bad time to sign up?

Reply by MW/VA on 12/11/09 10:40am
Msg #313987

Re: Tab up top "Signing Central"....

Your profile is in all caps. Did you know that's considered shouting?

Reply by taxpro on 12/10/09 6:37pm
Msg #313908

Joan,
You don't actually sign up with them through this site, but you can find a list of title companies and signing services in Signing Central. Check them out before you sign up, and read the other members' comments. Take advantage of the fact that you can benefit from others' experiences and avoid making the same mistakes. Also, do a search using the orange button and read all you can, especially Msg 33325. And don't undervalue your services.
Finally, ignore the guard dogs here who want to scare off all competition and resent anyone who dares ask a question. Good luck!

Reply by Hart - Marilyn on 12/10/09 7:11pm
Msg #313914

Great Response!!!! LOL

Reply by jba/fl on 12/10/09 7:56pm
Msg #313918

"Finally, ignore the guard dogs here who want to scare off all competition and resent anyone who dares ask a question."

Taxpor, that was not exactly a true statement. I don't believe for a minute that folks here are afraid of competition, and I know that questions asked are not resented for the most part. The whole thing is attitude: when one is doing their due diligence researching a field prior to plopping down their money and taking a course, online or not, when one looks for the information prior to asking the question, then one gains and is elevated to a different status than one who just pops in stating "I got my notary - where's the business? what do you charge? can I ride along with someone? etc."

Reply by John_NorCal on 12/10/09 8:44pm
Msg #313925

Well stated Julie n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 12/11/09 1:06am
Msg #313954

Not only that...

Some of us have been around long enough to have met many a person who "used to be a notary", got sucked into this by some ad somewhere that promised they could make tons of easy money. They spent lots on getting their commission (at least in my state), getting trained, buying equipment and supplies, but were never able to make a go of it.

I get no satisfaction from hearing that they wasted their time and money. It's sad to hear those stories. What's equally sad is to hear from some borrower about the terrible experience they had with some unprofessional, inexperienced person who got a notary commission and passed themselves off as a signing agent (or whatever term you want to use). And these experiences reflect against us all.

Julie's right, it's not about the competition. The fact is, most of us oldtimers have no interest in working for the companies that would be willing to hire someone new these days. What it's really about is not wanting to see people on both sides of the fence be hurt and taken advantage of. You might notice, as I have, that virtually all of the people who crow about the so-called negative comments from the "guard dogs" are posters we've never (or very rarely) seen before. They're either newbies or people who have never made any positive contribution to this board.

Many of us have been through the school of hard knocks in this business and we know how difficult it will be to try to get started in this market. These days, few people have money or time to lose and when someone recommends you know what you are getting into before you jump in, they're giving wise advice that you ignore at your own peril. If you've done your homework, have a business plan, are properly financed, and know what it's going to take - and how long it's going to take - then you might be one of the very few who will make it anyway.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.