Notary Rotary
paper size
Notary Discussion History

paper size
Go Back to December, 2009 Index

Posted by Terrie Sliger on 12/13/09 9:53pm
Msg #314215

paper size

Hi what size paper does everyone use for their closings? I was just wondering when it doesn't state what size paper to use. I just assume use legal. I have two or three cases of 8/12 x 11 that i havent even used. I was just wondering what everyone uses.

Reply by SReis on 12/13/09 10:05pm
Msg #314217

I have a dual tray printer so it prints on whatever size paper it is scanned in as. As a general rule of thumb legal is usually ok, however, make sure you check the directions because some req ALL letter or particular docs printed on letter (like the mortg).

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 12/13/09 10:08pm
Msg #314218

If you can, get a second tray for your printer. It really makes a difference in keeping your expenses down.

Reply by Jack/AL on 12/13/09 10:09pm
Msg #314219

When size is not specified, some companies may accept all legal, but it is best to ask before printing. You don't want to find out after sending the docs. The safest method is printing each page as it was formatted. A daul-tray printer can easily print on letter and legal size, as appropriate for each sheet, and in the proper sequence. If you have a single-tray printer, the process will take longer, and involve more effort on your part, but you'll still end up printing on the appropriate size paper (printing all of one size first, and then all of the other size). If you don't know how to do that, send me a private message with your phone number, or call mine during the day, and I'll 'splain it. My name is in blue letters, so that means it is linked to my info. Just click on it and see some personal details, such as contact info.

Reply by Frank/NC on 12/14/09 7:48am
Msg #314230

There are some companies that specify "all letter" or, "all legal". Dual tray printers will work best and in the end will save money on paper.

Reply by Gary Boehm on 12/14/09 10:15am
Msg #314239

For over a year now I have always printed the "borrower's copies" on letter size (8 1/2 x 11) except for the HUD. I print a couple of legal size copies of the HUD, have them initial/sign them all, then hand one to them and say "This is your copy of the HUD, which you have executed".

In fact, I hand them their copies as soon as I sit down and say "This is your copy of everything you are going to sign this evening. We are going to go over each of them here (point to the Title set in front of me) as you sign them". This avoids them stopping half a dozen times during the signing and asking "Do I get a copy of this?", Do I get a copy of this?". I give them their copy FIRST thing.

I have never had a borrower complain that their set wasn't the same size as the Title set. In those few cases where the signing doesn't complete, I have also never had a problem with asking for "their" set back when I leave (after calling Title to say what went wrong/borrower disagreed with).

As an aside, the one time I didn't do this at a signing at a real estate office, with all the agents present, one of the agents practically SCREAMED out "They don't get a copy of anything!?!" and tried to get the buyers upset (or so it seemed). I simply said, I have it right here. And THAT is why I always add $50 to my fee any time I find out there are going to be real estate agents present. And I have no hesitation telling the SS or Title that is why I am adding it - laughing of course because they usually know what I mean.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 12/14/09 10:30am
Msg #314240

Agree Gary but for one thing. I do not give copies to

borrowers until we are finished. Too many times I've had them, especially the NBS who only signs a few things, sit there and want to go page by page with me. This slows the process down too much. I do tell them that I have a complete copy pkg for them at the beginning so they do know that. The only time I pull out the copies ahead of time is if we need to switch a copy out of their pkg. Doesn't happen often, but does from time to time.

Reply by Gary Boehm on 12/14/09 11:55am
Msg #314256

Agree Gary but for one thing. I do not give copies to

Yes it can be time consuming if one of the signers does that. I set out to keep control of the situation by I letting them know at the outset that we are going to go over ALL of them as we go though the documents (the ones in front of me). I play with my wording a little, whatever is effective. For example I might say "Those are not necessarily in the same order as what I have here". (which they usually aren't because I have pulled the HUD, Note, etc. up to the top). That usually stops them because now that have to pay attention to the one we are signing. I have no problem with them leafing through them while we are signing as long as they stop and sign the ones when I need them to. But they usually stop and follow along.

Before giving theirs first it was a little aggravating to all of us to have them keep asking if they get a copy of this or that, even after I told them I have it right here for them after everything is signed. But hey, what ever works for each of us, right?

Reply by JanetK_CA on 12/15/09 4:59pm
Msg #314499

Re: Agree Gary but for one thing. I do not give copies to

I find it works just as well to tell them I have a copy for them vs. giving them the copy. I have it set on the table next to me, opposite from where they are sitting, so that I'm the only one who can reach it. Part of my schpiel at the beginning is to let them know they will get a copy of everything we go through. It's never a problem, except with those for whom it doesn't matter what I tell them. And imo, those are the people I LEAST want to have a copy during the signing... Wink

Reply by MW/VA on 12/14/09 2:14pm
Msg #314289

I'm curious. If you're printed the BO's copies on letter-size, what do you do if you have to pull from the copy package if a mistake is made??

Reply by Cristal Southerland on 12/14/09 12:37pm
Msg #314269

Hi
I don't have a dual tray printer, so I print ALL on legal. In order for it to be recorded, it must be on legal, so rather then guess, I use legal.
Have a great Christmas!
Cheers!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 12/14/09 12:44pm
Msg #314270

"In order for it to be recorded, it must be on legal"

Not necessarily true - that's more than likely a state-specific and/or county/city specific requirements. In the venues whre I've had experience, legal-size docs cost more to record as opposed to letter-size docs, so letter-size is, more often than not, the preferred format - it's easier to print all on legal from the get-go as you can print on legal then cut it down to letter but you can't print on letter then expand to legal.

Also may be lender specific - e.g., Provident funding REQUIRES all docs on letter-size.

Reply by Southwest Notary Service - Cody Ryan on 12/14/09 12:45pm
Msg #314271

Seems like if you are serious about this business then you should spend the extra dollars to get a printer fully capable of doing the job.

Reply by DSIKORA on 12/14/09 7:59pm
Msg #314336

I use Legal sized paper for all docs ..

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.