Notary Rotary
2 closings -- same time
Notary Discussion History

2 closings -- same time
Go Back to February, 2009 Index

Posted by Leon_CO on 2/4/09 12:13pm
Msg #276512

2 closings -- same time

I got a call yesterday from a company I've never worked with to do a closing for this evening. As usual, I immediately called the borrower. He immediately told me that he never said he was going to sign anything. (visions of little red flags going up in my head)

I called the signing service and told them what he said. They said they would contact the title company and give me an answer. It's the next day. Still no response.

This morning I got a call from an old client who has given me a lot of business. They want me to do a closing this evening. It's scheduled for around the same time as the 'up in the air' closing.

There are 2 companies that want you to do a closing for around the same time.

How do you handle it? Do you continue to wait for a response from the first company to see if they got the matter resolved? Or do you accept the assignment from the second caller?

P.S. I've already made a decision that I feel comfortable with. Just want to see how others would handle it.

Reply by Julie/IL on 2/4/09 12:23pm
Msg #276513

Personally, I would take the one from your regular customer. This new company has already shown bad signs by not communicating with you and obviously there is a communication problem with the TC to BWR and to the signing company. Not a good start in my opinion. If/when this Signing company calls you back, I would advise them that this is not the way you run your business and cannot turn down calls from your regulars by waiting for them to get their act together. (Obviously the bwr already planned on not signing) If/When thet get their act together you can decide to give them another chance at a later date. My own opinion of course.

Reply by SharonMN on 2/4/09 12:24pm
Msg #276514

If the borrower tells me they aren't signing, as far as I'm concerned, it's over. I inform the hiring party and let them I'm assuming the signing is cancelled but will be happy to help once it's all straightened out. AND I make sure the borrower tells me it's all straightened out. I've been burned by a SS that called me back the next day and assured me the borrower had talked to the LO, then the borrower called me as I was walking out the door telling me he hadn't been able to reach the LO at all so it was still cancelled.

Reply by jba/fl on 2/4/09 12:32pm
Msg #276515

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.... n/m

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 2/4/09 12:37pm
Msg #276516

Re: A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush....

You have a regular client that has offered you a confirmed signing..A new company that may have something for you?? I hope you chose to take the sure thing instead of waiting on a maybe?

Reply by Tess on 2/4/09 12:39pm
Msg #276517

Take the one from your older client, and call the service back and let them know that due to the signing possible not happening, you went ahead and filled that time slot, and if that one turns out to be a signing for today, you would be happy to schedule it for a later time.

Reply by Leon_CO on 2/4/09 12:46pm
Msg #276518

But a promise is a promise ...

And I'm always looking to add new clients. Smile
------------------------------------

Seriously, it was a no-brainer from the start. The clues that I gave were an indication of which closing I would take.

For one thing, I did the RESPA signing for the borrower. So I've already met him.

It gets better.

The 'up in the air' closing was 12 miles away. This second closing is literally within walking distance.

Also, the second closing is paying more than the first. (And you can't make a living on trip fees.)

Like I said, I feel comfortable with the decision I made. Thanks for your responses.

Reply by Prosperity on 2/4/09 1:01pm
Msg #276522

If it aint broken...don't fix it..

The "up in the air" guy is "out of the door". I've gotten calls like this & was very suspicious b/c it seems like the companies are blocking my time "just in case". I always take the confirmed appointment.

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/4/09 6:06pm
Msg #276549

No way, Jose

"and call the service back and let them know that due to the signing possible not happening, you went ahead and filled that time slot"

Why create a problem that might not even exist? Even though it's completely reasonable to take another signing, there's no reason to call the first company and say anything about it. Just wait until you hear back from them, and tell them at that time IF NECESSARY.

Reply by CF on 2/4/09 6:31pm
Msg #276551

Agree with CaliNotary....

in this business it is on a need to know basis!!!!

Reply by Leon_CO on 2/4/09 6:57pm
Msg #276552

Re: Agree with CaliNotary....

I thought it would be a cold day in h#ll if it ever happened, but I also agree.

I simply called and asked what the status was. I had a feeling it was cancelled, and they said it was. They'll let me know if it is ever rescheduled.

I never mentioned the other closing.

Reply by Tess on 2/4/09 9:13pm
Msg #276562

Re: Agree with CaliNotary....

I agree, find out what the status is first, but what if they still said they did not know? How you handle it from there is up to you!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.