Notary Rotary
Backdating
Notary Discussion History

Backdating
Go Back to February, 2009 Index

Posted by Alice/MD on 2/27/09 9:21am
Msg #278894

Backdating

What happen when a Title Company calls and say they made a goof up and didn't get the docs out on time and ask you to back date for them? When you tell them that it is not legal... and they should reschedule with correct date, they hang up. Do they keep calling until they find someone who will backdate? They must be finding someone who will.

Reply by Yowheelz on 2/27/09 9:29am
Msg #278897

Yikes, I'm MD also, hope they don't call me n/m

Reply by JAM/CA on 2/27/09 12:53pm
Msg #278937

Simply tell them to write you an email with what they need done. Then turn it over to the proper authorities.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 2/27/09 1:10pm
Msg #278942

There are not too many people who would put such a request in writing. They know it is illegal to backdate, but in this case it looks like they are trying to cover for an error on their part and save themselves a redraw fee or maybe avoid the loss of a rate lock for the borrower.

If all states took the same stance as CA and made it illegal to even request backdating, maybe these requests would not be as common. Even with laws against it, there are always people who will make these illegal requests and notaries who will accomodate such requests.

Reply by rengel/CA on 2/27/09 1:19pm
Msg #278943

Unfortunately Teresa, you are all too correct!

They will always ask, and the will almost always find someone to accomodate them.

Such are the ways of the world.
My .02

Reply by Shelly_FL on 2/27/09 10:26pm
Msg #279012

Re: Unfortunately Teresa, you are all too correct!

I have never been asked out right to back date docs, until just tonight. Some SS "trying to help out a
Title Co in a jam". I said if I was her, I wouldn't want to be put in the middle of a situation such as this. Shame on her for asking!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.