Notary Rotary
CT Notaries - Heads up. Legislature wants your $$$
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2009 Index

Posted by BobbiCT on 2/10/09 11:50am
Msg #277054

If you haven't been paying attention to our Legislature, the below introduced bills may be of interest to you. If you are for/against, I suggest you contact your elected Representative & Senator.

HB 6251 - makes it a felony for a notary charged with "unauthorized practice of law." Why just notaries? "UPL" can be done by any person not admitted as an attorney in CT.

SB 837 - DOUBLES the notary application/renewal fee from $60 to $120. Also INCREASES the "change of address notification" fee from $5 to $15 ... IF you decide to notify the Secy. of State that you've changed your address. There is NO FEE OR PENALTY if you don't notify the SOTS that you've moved and just call when you don't get your commission renewal notice expires.

HB 6139 - INCREASES the "per notarization" fee from $5 to $10 and mileage will now float with the IRS business reimbursement rate. OLD issue: What's "a notarization"? The Secy. of State's office has never officially (in state law) defined it. Is it per signature being notarized or, as some ARGUE and define it, husband & wife at the same time in one notarization block is a "notarization" at $5, not two individual notarizations at $10.

Reply by MsM/CT on 2/10/09 12:04pm
Msg #277055

Thanks for that Bobbi. I knew that the per notarization fee was up for discussion but had no idea about the others. They are sneaky ones!

Reply by MelissaCT on 2/11/09 5:00pm
Msg #277205

I was reading the paper about the increased "fees" proposed by Gov. Rell, including increased vehicle registration, drivers' license, fishing/hunting license, etc & was wondering if Notary fees were on that list (not just the fees we can charge, but renewal fees, etc.). According to an email I recently received a notarization is the witnessing of a signature along with a recording of the oath or affirmation that went along with the witnessing. Therefore, the aregument is, whether a single certificate is produced or individual certificates, a notarization is per signature witnesses, no matter how it is recorded. I like that explanation, but I'm not so sure how accurate it is.
If I complete 1 certificate for multiple signers, the signers will think it's 1 notarization, which could be argued. But, the single certificate is reflective of multiple signatures which were witnessed, i.e. multiple notarizations.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.