Notary Rotary
DNA test witness
Notary Discussion History

DNA test witness
Go Back to February, 2009 Index

Posted by Leon_CO on 2/17/09 8:39pm
Msg #277836

DNA test witness

I witnessed the DNA self-test today. When I got to the home, the man wasn't there. I thought of leaving, but I decided to sit in my car and wait. He showed up a few minutes later. He was stuck in traffic. I'm glad I didn't leave.

He was extremely eager to take the test. He was anxious to prove he wasn't the father. When I made the confirmation call, I told him that I'm a notary, and that I will be there simply as a witness and to collect the sample. As we were sitting at the table today he began telling me what happened. I started to remind him that I'm a notary, etc. But he was anxious to tell his story to anyone who would listen. So I listened. He said that the woman ruined his life. He lost his job, was evicted from his apartment, ... a lot of bad things happened to him. Right now he's basically homeless. The test was done at the home of an aquaintance.

I collected the samples and sealed the envelope. I assured him that I was going straight to FedEx Kinkos. I asked him if he wanted to write down the tracking number. He did.

When I made the confirmation call for the appointment, I wondered why he sounded so depressed over the phone. After meeting with him today and hearing his story, I could see why.

The test didn't take long, and the job itself wasn't difficult.

Reply by MichiganAl on 2/17/09 9:04pm
Msg #277843

Yipee! Thanks for the blog post. Can't wait for tomorrow's n/m

Reply by Ernest__CT on 2/17/09 9:16pm
Msg #277845

Thank you for having the compassion to listen! Whether or not the man is guilty, he needed you to listen. There are many times when a stranger is more willing to listen without judgement.

As Notaries Public we are privy to things we'd just as soon not know. I hope that you were part of someone getting his life back.

Reply by Becca_FL on 2/17/09 9:24pm
Msg #277850

Sorry, Ernest, wrong answer, but I am curious to know...

how was your wedding business this past week? I have been booked since last week and I have a REAL Bridezilla to deal with this Friday. I'm booking up like crazy this season and was just curious how you are doing. BTW, I've been watching the bride shows and have found out a bunch of info on the "binding" ceremony you posted about awhile back. Would love to talk and share experiences.

Reply by Becca_FL on 2/17/09 9:18pm
Msg #277846

Message Deleted

This message has been deleted by a forum moderator.

Reason: Abusive

Reply by Ernest__CT on 2/17/09 9:30pm
Msg #277852

(sigh) Leon, consider the source. Then ignore it. n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 2/17/09 9:46pm
Msg #277859

No,Leon, consider the source. Then heed it. n/m

Reply by Becca_FL on 2/17/09 10:44pm
Msg #277864

This from a self proclaimed wedding officiant?

That doesn't even know how to conduct a binding ceremony? Consider THAT source. I was JUST trying to help. I'll NOT do that again, you ungrateful bastid.

Up next from the NNA we need more money vault, certified notary wedding officiants. Just pay $149.95 and you too could cash in on this new notary cash flow!

So Sorry. The NNA SUCKS!

Reply by MistarellaFL on 2/18/09 7:29am
Msg #277875

Becca is spot on

Whether or not you "like" the message or the way it was delivered, Becca is spot on.
The truth of the matter is this: notaries are not the preferred choice for DNA collection.
The preferred choice is someone who has EXPERIENCE collecting biological samples.
The sad part is that if the XYZ company learns of this opportunity, you can bet that in
a year or less there will be classes they will require to be paid for and promises of $100K possible income. (And current fees will be reduced).
I see this opportunity as one for medical professionals, not notaries. How do I know?
I am a medical professional (nurse) and have offered this service for some time.
Fees are good, but experience is required. Guess what? If you don't properly collect the
sample(s), you don't get paid. And yes, there is more to it than meets the eye, no matter what someone says.
So don't expect that you will be getting multiple calls without the required experience.
They will call on a medical professional or experienced collector FIRST, and if that fails,
they might call on a notary.
Be prepared to stand up in court for testifying on your own dime, then be ridiculed by the defendant's attorney when they bring it to the court's attention that this is your first/second/third collection.
JMHO and experience.

Reply by BrendaTx on 2/18/09 8:13am
Msg #277886

I Ditto Misterella. n/m

Reply by John/CT on 2/17/09 9:33pm
Msg #277854

Re: DNA test witness -- a mystery to me ...

How does a notary public act as a witness and collect DNA samples, then be responsible for dropping them off at FDX? Never saw this in my job description. Maybe I'm just missing something here

Reply by Becca_FL on 2/17/09 10:30pm
Msg #277863

John, It has nothing to do with being a notary...

Check your state laws.

Reply by John/CT on 2/17/09 9:33pm
Msg #277855

Re: DNA test witness -- a mystery to me ...

How does a notary public act as a witness and collect DNA samples, then be responsible for dropping them off at FDX? Never saw this in my job description. Maybe I'm just missing something here

Reply by John/CT on 2/17/09 9:34pm
Msg #277856

Ooops ... sorry for the duplicate post n/m

Reply by Ernest__CT on 2/17/09 9:38pm
Msg #277857

Re: DNA test witness -- We're imparitial witnesses, ...

... with credentials and reputations for honesty? (OK, OK, stop laughing.)

Seriously, would you rather have the job done by the police (shiver) or a hospital (yeah. right.)? There was nothing mentioned about an affadavit, but there certainly could have been one. You know, like "I certify that the enclosed swab is mine....", with an oath given by the Notary.

Shhh! Don't tell the XYZ! They'll make courses and certifications....

Reply by MichiganAl on 2/18/09 12:14am
Msg #277865

Message Deleted

This message has been deleted by a forum moderator.

Reason: Abusive

Reply by Becca_FL on 2/18/09 9:47am
Msg #277898

Al, I love you! Will you marry me? n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 2/18/09 6:53am
Msg #277873

Re: DNA test witness - while I am a compassionate listener..

*So I listened. He said that the woman ruined his life. He lost his job, was evicted from his apartment, ... a lot of bad things happened to him. Right now he's basically homeless.*

I generally wonder how a person (your guy) stays around a crazy, dysfunctional person (the "awful" woman) without realizing the consequences. He got himself a big dose of her. Don't know his age but as some point (hopefully sooner than later) we MUST take responsibility for who we choose to become sex partners with. It takes two to tango.

I have a friend with three sons--ne'er do wells whose problems are always related to the "awful" woman, the check in the mail that got lost, the bad government collecting back child support and so forth. I'm not a man hater ...no, I love men and I have a son who is the sun of my life. However, I started letting him fall and skin his knee at a young age when he was growing up. If he finds himself at the end of a DNA swab and starts telling me a sob story I am going to remind him that he was apparently at the dance and doing the tango with mom without concern for birth control. Yes, MEN need to ignore what women tell them about birth control and take care of it themselves or consider it a crap shoot.

Poo on the whiner, Leon. Only a person without self-respect or with boundary issues wanting sympathy would dump on a field collector. You've been had by an emotional vampire.

Reply by jba/fl on 2/18/09 8:23am
Msg #277890

Brenda - she was picking on him, pure and simple. LOL n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 2/18/09 9:11am
Msg #277896

jba - I hear you. I'll probably revisit this thread

and opine further on Hard Luck Harvey but I have to earn a living right now. Wink

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.