Notary Rotary
I don't like it when....
Notary Discussion History

I don't like it when....
Go Back to February, 2009 Index

Posted by DD/OR on 2/14/09 4:19pm
Msg #277566

I don't like it when....

1. the SS deducts $25.00 for different things.
2. the SS says they will deduct $25.00 from your fee for EACH mistake that they find in the loan docs (whatever that means).
3. the SS says they will deduct $25.00 if you don't call the LO right after the signing.
4. the SS doesn't tell you any of this upfront. You find out when you receive the loan docs.
5. You have to accept the SS word on any discrepancy.

I recently accepted an assignment like this. Never again. I can see the writing on the wall. I'm going to have trouble collecting from this company. They will go on my NO-NO list. From now on, I will turn down any company like this, even if they send me the docs first.

Reply by MichiganAl on 2/14/09 4:29pm
Msg #277568

The longer the list of dos and don'ts, instructions, directions, etc., the more I know I'm dealing with a SS that doesn't know how to just get out of the way and let me do my job properly.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 2/16/09 1:34pm
Msg #277669

A lot of companies have "quite" the list of instructions. The only thing that really bothers me is an LO or SS that require constant "handholding." Agree with Al 100%

Reply by aanotary on 2/14/09 4:48pm
Msg #277569

I would like to make this my set of rules-

$10.00 if I have to call you or email and ask for my check after 30 days. $10.00 for every additional call and email. $20.00 added if it goes more than 60 days- etc. etc- ya think they would go for that?????

Reply by TRG_wy on 2/14/09 4:57pm
Msg #277572

I would like to make this my set of rules- I like it! n/m

Reply by DD/OR on 2/14/09 5:51pm
Msg #277579

Re: I would like to make this my set of rules-

You got that right, CA notary.

Reply by Todd/OH on 2/15/09 5:06pm
Msg #277608

Re: I would like to make this my set of rules-

It's not like you can enforce your set of rules.

Reply by TRG_wy on 2/14/09 5:02pm
Msg #277573

I don't put up with nor do I accept this BS.

I am contracted to do a specific job for a specified fee. If I error I correct it. If they want to hold my hand throughout the process they can call the inexperienced and do it to them.

They know the assignment is completed when I immediately send my invoice with all details. They (the SS) can contact the LO or whomever and let them know the status; they need to earn their pay too.

Reply by sn/oh on 2/14/09 5:39pm
Msg #277577

they ask for my driver license. There is nothing on my license they need.

Reply by John/CT on 2/14/09 6:32pm
Msg #277582

Re: Copy of my Driver's License

OK with me, after I block out all but the last four digits of the number, and my birth date. Details nobody needs to know about me. I also have an EIN, which I provide instead of my SSN.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 2/14/09 5:49pm
Msg #277578

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've not yet dealt with anyone who threatened to make deductions for anything. I can't imagine accepting an assignment like that, and I can't understand why anyone would. Why would you put yourself in a position where they can simply say that you screwed up and reduce your fee, and you have no recourse??

If you don't find out about it until after you receive the docs, the response is simple - I don't accept your revised terms, so you'll have to find another notary. I wouldn't care if they told me about it 5 minutes before I was supposed to be at the signing; those terms are unacceptable, so we either do it as we originally agreed or they find someone else to do it.

Coming here after the fact to complain about it doesn't make much sense (especially since you haven't identified the SS). Why would you let yourself get into that situation in the first place? You do realize that you're allowed to say "No, I won't to do that" if they change the terms after the initial offer is accepted, right?

Reply by DD/OR on 2/14/09 6:01pm
Msg #277580

Mike, you don't seem to understand. This board is for notaries to discuss anything pertinent to our field, whether its complaining, asking questions or whatever.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 2/15/09 3:03pm
Msg #277601

I know what this board is for.

My point remains the same. If you don't like that they threaten to deduct from what they pay you, don't take the job. If you don't like that they're able to take deductions for any reason, don't take the job. If you don't like that they spring this on you after you accept the job and receive the docs, hand the job back to them.

Just say "No, that's unacceptable", and move on.

Reply by Les_CO on 2/17/09 4:42pm
Msg #277796

EXACTLY!

Reply by TRG_wy on 2/14/09 6:05pm
Msg #277581

She just brought to light a trend by an increasing number of SS. She didn't compalin about the impact on her.

If you haven't seen this yet you are indeed lucky. I noticed this a few times at least over five years ago and have put my disclaimer of this practice in my auto-responder email for all confirmations I get.

Reply by John/CT on 2/14/09 6:43pm
Msg #277583

Re: SS Conditions

When you receive the confirmation, you can always decline the assignment ... which I've done on a number of occasions. Interestingly, the SS then tells me they're taking me off their call list. So what ... am I supposed to be broken-hearted, or what?!?! The one other condition I will not accept is if the loan doesn't fund, I don't get paid or will receive a print/trip fee. Surprisingly enough, I've had them backtrack on this condition. At the end of the day, it pays to fight back!

Reply by MW/VA on 2/15/09 7:35am
Msg #277591

It is too bad that the companies have to build in penalties for those who do careless work.
I hate the babysitting, too. I'm not on the other side of the issue, and have to deal with notaries who don't do a good job. I've dropped a # of companies who want to pay a low fee, but seem to be able to employ a lot of "babysitters" who interfere by calling me before the transaction, after the transaction, asking if I provided a copy of the docs, etc. It is very irritating. I have never had a company reduce my fee for errors, however.

Reply by Leon_CO on 2/15/09 8:23am
Msg #277593

If it's within the control of the signing agent ...

If it's something that is within the control of the signing agent, then I don't have a problem with it. For example, there is one company that wants you to call them after the closing. If you don't they say they will deduct $25 from your fee. Solution: call them. No penalty.

On the other hand, there are penalties for things that are beyond the signing agent's control.

For example, 'include a clean, clear, legible copy of the borrower's ID, or you will not get paid.' That's pretty severe, considering the signing agent has absolutely no control over what kind of copier the borrower is using, or if the borrower is even going to provide a copy of their ID. I always bring my digital camera, just in case.

Reply by Les_CO on 2/15/09 1:19pm
Msg #277599

I simply ignore all that crap. I take the job; I do the job as I always do the job. I send an invoice. I have never been ‘shorted’. I have been totally stiffed, by Joey Le, Archer Land Title, and BMP Signings. If I don’t get paid I try and collect, and let everyone know. In this chancy business some jerk of a thief will not pay you if they get a chance. If they get too prissy, I tell them bye. Life’s too short to deal with fools.

Reply by linda/ca on 2/16/09 12:50am
Msg #277625

Hear! Hear! You and I think alike, Les.

Reply by Todd/OH on 2/15/09 5:07pm
Msg #277609

I've had several that threaten to make deductions. Only one actually did without any threats. I put all of them on my "Warning List".

Reply by SueW/Tn on 2/16/09 6:11am
Msg #277627

I'll answer DD the way I always do, what about your keen idea in message 163621? You bounce in here every 3 or 4 months with some sort of sob story relating to being paid, obviously your plan didn't work eh?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.