Notary Rotary
MS Vista Operating System
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2009 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 2/16/09 4:09pm
Msg #277687

Now that Vista has been out for a couple of years, how many of you are using it for signing applications, ie. downloading loan packages from lenders websites or via PDF files.

Any issues?

Reply by C. Wayne Moore on 2/16/09 4:28pm
Msg #277688

I have been using it for almost a year and no problems here.

CW

Reply by Dawn/PA on 2/16/09 4:30pm
Msg #277689

I have had Vista for two years and no problems with the Vista, now the HP laptop is a whole another story Wink.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 2/16/09 5:50pm
Msg #277700

Running Vista on both my computers without issue. All the outcry was from people who were trying to upgrade a computer to Vista that did not have enough resources, or from older programs not working with Vista.

In my opinion, there is no need to upgrade until it is new computer time or there is a feature that you want that you can't get in XP. If you want to upgrade, Microsoft has a tool on their site to scan your computer to see if you can run Vista.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/16/09 4:48pm
Msg #277691

Not one problem here and I've been using it on a laptop for two years now, and a desktop for a year.

A lot of the hatred toward Vista is, quite honestly, mass hysteria. At first...yes, it was annoying that some software wasn't compatible, but that has now essentially resolved itself with time. I far prefer some elements of Vista over XP, too.

But, if you're looking to upgrade... I'd wait until Windows 7 comes out if you can, since that's is active beta right now. If you can't wait... go with Vista, you'll be fine.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 2/16/09 5:44pm
Msg #277698

There's the "Possibility" MS is Going to Allow...

...a free upgrade to Windows 7 for certain versions of Vista.

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=609&pgno=0

Reply by LynnNC on 2/16/09 5:27pm
Msg #277694

My daughter has Vista on her laptop and when I send her a Word attachment to an email she can't open it. I have to copy the document to the email itself, and the she copies it to Word.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/16/09 5:38pm
Msg #277695

Lynn, that isn't an issue with Vista... but with Word. Are you using Word 2007 and your daughter an earlier version? That's usually the cause, and it has a couple of easy fixes.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 2/16/09 5:46pm
Msg #277699

Lynn,

You and your daughter need a file format converter. You are probably using an older version of Office or Word than your daughter and in 2007, for some reason, Microsoft changed the file format for the latest version of Office or Word. You can get it off the Microsoft website, or if you want, drop me a note and I will send it to you and you can share it with your daughter or you can send the attachment in the new format .

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/16/09 6:01pm
Msg #277702

Re: Lynn,

You don't even have to do that...

If you have 2007, all you have to do is change the default format for saving...

See:

http://www.ejabs.com/blog/2007/03/change-word-2007-default-saving-format-to-compatibility-mode/

Reply by JanetK_CA on 2/16/09 6:28pm
Msg #277706

I had another experience recently that I think helps support Marian's theory that the bad press about Vista was part "mass hysteria" and lack of information.

I was visiting with my cousin and he was running a defrag on his sister's pc (running on XP). He commented that one of the things he hated about Vista was that you could no longer watch the screen with bars turning colors while the defrag program ran. I realized that I couldn't recall ever running a defrag on my nearly 2-yo laptop with Vista. When I got home, I checked and found out that the last time it had been done was three days before. The default setting runs it weekly!

Changing computers to one with Vista pre-installed was pretty much a non-event for me, except for updating printer drivers. (And I'm not a techie, although I can handle the basics well enough.) I don't ever recall running into a situation where my printer didn't work at all, though, and I've never had any problems with any print utilities. As someone said, I'd be very surprised if, by now, they haven't all have been updated to work with Vista.

Reply by Gary_CA on 2/16/09 10:56pm
Msg #277723

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE Vista

and if I could right now, I'd wait till 7 comes out, falls on it's face and gets fixed.

I've had compatibility issues with software, general usability pains and my Dell nice new standard computer will not take Vista's SP1 update even with the efforts of a professional tech and MS tech support.

I hate it.

Having said that, none of the problems keep me from taking care of business. (Though I do still use my XP machine for some things.)

Reply by JanetK_CA on 2/17/09 1:39am
Msg #277725

Re: I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE Vista

I just recently finally updated with SP1 (I like to be very far from the first... Wink). Didn't have any problems, except my computer seemed a touch slower for a day or so. Could it be your laptop? (I have a Toshiba.) Do you have lots of memory? (Vista IS a real memory hog...)

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 2/17/09 5:16am
Msg #277728

Vista's Been Berry, Berry Good to Me.

Speaking of vistas, Gary...when are those Codgers (it's getting close to the start of the season so I'll start calling them by my pet name again) going to finally settle Manny down in LA again? $25 mil (for ONE season) apparently isn't going to cut it.

Reply by Sir_Lawrence on 2/17/09 3:54pm
Msg #277793

Re: Vista's Been Berry, Berry Good to Me.

IMO Windows Vista is pure junk! Try networking with it. I have a complete home network, drive, printers, etc. It stops and asks for a password that doesn't exist, and the support "fixes" are a joke. Vista is a complete failure. Even simple things don't work right. No error, no message, just doesn't work. Try customizing a folder, it will not work. I could write a book. I recently downloaded all the drivers for my laptop, for XP, and I will buy a SP3 ver of XP and wipe this crap off my laptop. BTW: If any of you have bought a new mini like I did for the kitchen countertop, guess what? It comes with XP what a wonderful surprise.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 2/17/09 6:37pm
Msg #277810

The Burning Question...

...is whether you're a Reds or Indians fan! BTW, I also have two other computers networked with my primary Vista desktop. No problemos!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.