Notary Rotary
NSC and Fed Ex Kinkos
Notary Discussion History

NSC and Fed Ex Kinkos
Go Back to February, 2009 Index

Posted by LynnNC on 2/2/09 8:43am
Msg #276187

NSC and Fed Ex Kinkos

I have an NSC closing today that was going to be with edocs. I just got a call from them and apparantly they have a new system where they send the documents directly to Kinkos to be printed at their cost, and the loan closer picks them up. They are doing this when a Kinkos is within 10 miles of the closing location, but the person calling from NSC said that most of them are within 2.5 miles.

This will save the closer the time of printing the documents, but, I don't think that the signing fee should be the same as an overnight fee as it might take an extra 15 minutes to pick up the docs. They are going to give me $5 for a "first-time Kinkos user fee". I think a $10 fee would be more in order, and not on just the first closing, but, all of them done this way.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 2/2/09 8:45am
Msg #276188

Yes, I've heard of this and it's absolutely wacky.

Reply by Cam/CA on 2/2/09 8:50am
Msg #276189

Re: I sure wouldn't want my personal loan docs sent to

Kinkos for printing.

Reply by janCA on 2/2/09 8:55am
Msg #276192

I wonder if the clients (borrowers) realize their docs are being viewed by Fed Ex Staff? I have a Kinkos only 10 mins. away. It would be an inconvenience for me and just silly since I'm set up to print docs. I wonder what their logic is with this.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 2/2/09 9:22am
Msg #276194

What I've heard is that NSC has negotiated a deal with Kinkos where they receive a deep discount on the printing. And NSC assumes that the notary will be perfectly fine with going out of their way to pick up the docs at Kinkos. It's all about saving a few bucks for NSC.

I rarely work for NSC as they consider my fees high, but if they or Settlement Corp call me, I will quote my edocs signing fee and leave it at that. (Settlement Corp frequently sets the appointment up as o/n docs, and then when it turns into edocs they will add only a $12.50 printing fee.)

Reply by LynnNC on 2/2/09 9:24am
Msg #276196

A Kinkos' 10 minutes away is close if you need to print docs when your printer is down, but, driving there to pick up docs would add at least 25 minutes to the closing, so, an overnight fee is not enough. IMO, there should be at least a $10 travel fee.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 2/2/09 7:06pm
Msg #276322

Has anyone who has picked up their documents in this manner

had a problem with missing documents?

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 2/2/09 8:50am
Msg #276190

Just Curious...

...are they requiring background checks for every FedEx Kinko's employee across the nation?

Reply by Calnotary on 2/2/09 9:16am
Msg #276193

Re: Just Curious...

I wonder who makes these stupid decisions on their end?

Reply by MistarellaFL on 2/2/09 9:50am
Msg #276198

So, since NSC is a signing agency

They are likely charging the TC the same ole print fee, and using Kinkos/FE as a low cost printing alternative, and using the remote closer's time and fuel for pickup and delivery?
Something is not right with this picture.

Reply by LadyGill/PA on 2/2/09 9:58am
Msg #276199

Re: So, since NSC is a signing agency

Personally, I would not have agreed to the signing because it isn't saving time for the SA. The time it takes to print in the convenience of your own homeoffice or wherever your established is more likely to work.

Why go out of your way even further and use gas, then find parking if Kinko's isn't in a shopping area with a parking lot. First of all and most importantly is that total strangers who are not trustworthy will be printing very sensitive doc's and that is what I will tell the SS if I'm asked to do a signing under those conditions.

I will personally inform them that there is a liability I believe in allowing someone else other than those who were trained, bonded, and screened to print and view those doc's. It's a risk and I'm not going to accommodate that nonsense at all.

Reply by SharonMN on 2/2/09 11:48am
Msg #276212

I'm sure they have Kinko's sign a confidentiality agreement

Many companies, large and small, use Kinko's and other outside copy vendors to copy and print sensitive documents. Law firms, for example, do this ALL the time. Usually they would enter into a contract with the outside copy vendor that would include confidentiality provisions. In many cases, there is no such agreement with a notary signing agent. So I would argue that the Kinko's arrangement may be more secure than using a signing agent plucked at random off the web.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/2/09 2:14pm
Msg #276262

Re: I'm sure they have Kinko's sign a confidentiality agreement

That may be true... but on an individual level, I wouldn't trust it. As I mentioned below, I've been inside these places and an open notary journal with seal have been sitting on the counter, within my reach, totally unattended. And this is in CA which REQUIRES those things to be kept locked up. I have mentioned to them, too, and I get blank stares or, "Well, I'm not the notary so it doesn't matter."

I know that there are honorable, hard-working people working at Kinkos, but there are also a bunch of complete idiots, too. And sadly, some of them are also notaries.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 2/2/09 7:07pm
Msg #276324

Charge them a travel fee to pick up the docs ....

say about $15.00

Reply by Alice/MD on 2/2/09 10:09am
Msg #276201

Re: Just Curious...

I wonder what the employees at FedEx Kinko's.... without background checks ....will do with an extra copy of the 1003 to take home. The door is wide open.!!!

Reply by lindetteh_PA on 2/2/09 9:58am
Msg #276200

I had a signing a few weeks ago and I called the title company to see when I was going to get docs.They informed me about this new policy. I then informed them that 10 mile miles to a Kinkos was out of my way and I had other appointments scheduled and the time it will take me to go to kinkos would throw my day off. They said no problem and sent the docs directly to me. Why do ss and TC think that we are just sitting home waiting to get their docs. The person at the TC told me that there were alot of notaries complaining about this new policy. I think we all have to remember. We Work For Ourselves! and If a company asks us to do something that makes no sense we don't have to do it. How can the SS think there is no expense for picking up docs and who is responsible for making sure all the docs are there. It seems to me they are opening themselves up for alot of finger pointing. I think anyone willing to pick up docs needs to make it clear that they will not be held responsible for missing docs and they will need to get paid for any return trips to the borrower.

Reply by jojo_MN on 2/2/09 10:19am
Msg #276202

Not to mention, the last time that happened to me, I had quoted them (I think it was NSC) a fee of XXX. Half an our before the closing, they called me and told that they had to send it to Kinkos it was within 10 miles of the borrowers so they had to send it there and reduce my fee by $25. When I got there, I had to wait almost half an hour because there was a line in front of me. When I finally got there, it was just lying on a shelf under the counter, not in an envelope or anything.

If they would have sent itto me, it would have taken a whole 10 minutes to print both doc packages and wouldn't have taken an additional 45 minutes out of my time (including driving time and gas).

I wonder what XYZ would think of this practice?!

Reply by MistarellaFL on 2/2/09 10:37am
Msg #276203

The bottom line

Is that what I am hearing is that the agency doesn't seem to realize, that either way with their e-docs, the NSA is footing the bill for their profit margin.
So, while they are making out on the e-doc fee, the low men (or women) on the totem pole is not making a dime on e-docs, but are out the time and fuel needed to pick up docs.
What's supposed to be "plus" for the NSA?

Reply by LynnNC on 2/2/09 10:54am
Msg #276205

The bottom line also is...

...that they need to have an overnight fee, an edoc fee, and a travel fee to pick up docs at Kinkos. They cannot expect us to travel to Kinkos for an overnight doc fee.

When I print docs, while the 2nd set is printing, I put the 1st set in order for the borrowers with the key documents on top. I always show the borrowers the key documents before they begin signing and let them look at them while I write their DL information in my journal. Putting the docs in order while at Kinko's will be a pain and will take extra time.

The more that I think about this, I think they should pay $15 for Kinkos pickup.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/2/09 10:57am
Msg #276206

Re: The bottom line also is...

Have you looked closely at one of their confirmations? - where a no-sign fee is $20? Tiny letters near the end...

Reply by LynnNC on 2/2/09 11:21am
Msg #276209

I didn't work for NSC for nearly a year because of their low fees, but, with business slowing .I started handling to again and am getting a lot of business. I will have to see how it goes.

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/2/09 1:07pm
Msg #276241

"The more that I think about this, I think they should pay $15 for Kinkos pickup."

So quote them a fee that includes $15 for Kinkos pickup. Problem solved.

I've never had to pick up at Kinkos, but I've picked up from local Title companies before. I just charge the same as if it were edocs.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/2/09 10:52am
Msg #276204

Here's a thought....

Have the borrowers go pick up their OWN documents at Kinkos...then NSA isn't out any extra gas or time at all - just meet them at their house at said time just as in an O/N docs to borrower scenario....

Wonder how the company would feel about that arrangement..

Further, as to this - " who is responsible for making sure all the docs are there. It seems to me they are opening themselves up for alot of finger pointing. I think anyone willing to pick up docs needs to make it clear that they will not be held responsible for missing docs"

I posted elsewhere that I won't provide free quality control - I won't accept responsibility for any errors in printing or missing docs in packages picked up at Kinkos..or any other printing facility for that matter. MHO and personal business decision.

Reply by cdoty_IL on 2/2/09 11:50am
Msg #276213

Re: Here's a thought....

In regards to this arrangement, I would charge the same fee for pick up as I would edoc printing as someone said above. Also, Most (if not all) SAs have invested in paper, toner and printers for edoc capability. I really hope this trend does not catch on or those investments will be wasted.

I also see an issue with docs missing ect. if a Kinkos or other printing store does this. And I know that someone mentioned above about their "disclaimer" of not holding the SA responsible for print errors ect .... but we all know that in the end the person that cuts the check will send their "trip fee" for that closing even if Kinkos is at fault.

Reply by jojo_MN on 2/2/09 12:13pm
Msg #276219

Re: Here's a thought....

Also, the one I mentioned earlier, the docs were all printed wrong (legal docs with the bottom cut off from every page), so I was an hour late for the closing because Kinkos had to REPRINT them all with me standing there. (I may have already posted this a couple months ago when it happened. Venting at that time.)

We all have a very good reason to be unhappy with that arrangement.

Reply by NC_Notary on 2/2/09 1:35pm
Msg #276253

Borrowers probably have no idea their paperwork is being

printed at a FedEx Kinkos and would probably be furious if they found out. I guess they figure if the borrowers see a notary/representative hand delivers, the borrowers will just assume their personal information has been secure at all times.

NSC has offered me $30 to do this but again, it is too far out of the way to bother.

Reply by LynnNC on 2/2/09 1:43pm
Msg #276257

Re: Borrowers probably have no idea their paperwork is being

They paid you $30 to pick up the documents at Kinkos...more than their $25 edoc fee?

Reply by lindetteh_PA on 2/2/09 2:24pm
Msg #276265

Re: Question for the notaries that pick docs up

I would like to know if any of you guys have told them no about picking docs and if so what was their response. When I told them I could not go anywhere to get docs they just said OK and sent them to me. And I still get calls from them regularly. Like the old saying goes people will only do to you what you let them do. Notaries need to stop being so scared that the phone won't ring that they compromise their buisness and themselves remember this is a service business and we should not be asked to complete services for free also think about what would happen if every TC or SS implemented this method of document pick up.

Reply by NC_Notary on 2/2/09 2:52pm
Msg #276269

I did not do it for them because it was too far n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/2/09 2:05pm
Msg #276261

10 miles? Around here, that's ridiculous. It could take be upwards of an hour to get 10 miles in certain parts of LA.

Plus, as a borrower... I'd be seriously ticked off to know my loan docs were sitting around at a Kinkos somewhere. I've been inside too many of those stores and seen notary journals and seals open and within my reach on the counter and nobody attending them. I would never trust them with loan docs.

Reply by Leslie_Mo on 2/2/09 3:04pm
Msg #276274

I've had 2 edocs with NSC that were changed to "pick up at Kinko's" on the day of the appointment. Both times, the Kinko's was out of my way and both times, I had to wait to get the docs. The first time they couldnt find them and the next time they found them but couldn't figure out how to bill NSC even when I handed them the email from NSC with all the billing information. In both cases, I waited more than 30 minutes and was late for the appointment. The last time I also had to go through major rush hour traffic to get to the Kinko's. It really is kind of a pain and of course the $25 print fee is no longer paid. Kinko's told me the charge for them printing at this reduced rate is around $9.99. NSC just reduced their cost by $15 and the notary gets the expense of gas to pickup and also most likely added time.

Reply by Doris_CO on 2/2/09 5:39pm
Msg #276306

If you're acting as a delivery service then charge accordingly. Why not check with some delivery services in your area and find out what they charge to pick up and deliver documents. I'm sure it well above $15.00.

Reply by LKT/CA on 2/2/09 5:46pm
Msg #276307

<<<If you're acting as a delivery service then charge accordingly. Why not check with some delivery services in your area and find out what they charge to pick up and deliver documents. I'm sure it well above $15.00. >>>

I agree. Replace the $25 print fee with a $25 courier fee. It's extra gasoline and time spent standing in line.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 2/3/09 2:51pm
Msg #276419

Local Courier Fees

In this area, the fees are $1.50 per mile, from pick up to destination address and a $10-$25 pick up fee, depending on any wait times at the pickup location.
Smile

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 2/2/09 7:05pm
Msg #276320

Has anyone who has picked up their documents in this n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 2/3/09 6:26pm
Msg #276452

I can't believe this. It's wild....NSC's new deal, I mean.

Some may be able to make it work, but for me, Fedex Kinko's would be the last place I'd want to go to pick up docs. It's in the middle of the university hubbub and clamor. You have to pay to park. What a lark that would be for me.

It's a crazy chaotic place to go...the worst place for traffic in this town! Then...paying for parking. Nope. I'd have to charge more than I would for edocs.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.