Notary Rotary
New Computer
Notary Discussion History

New Computer
Go Back to February, 2009 Index

Posted by FeliseSoCal on 2/5/09 5:17pm
Msg #276684

New Computer

It's time. My HP pavillion desktop is 7 yrs old and takes forever to print. I'm trying to decide what the best investment would be for my NSA business. I am not set up for esignings but feel I should keep that in mind for future. I'm thinking these days a laptop is a must but would love any cost effective suggestions from savvy computer using NSA's regarding what works well or what to stay away from...I mostly need somethign fast at printing docs and general use.

HP/Dell/Mac??? XP/ Vista??? I hear Vista is a nightmare...any thoughts from those who've been using it? TIA

Reply by Patricia Manatt on 2/5/09 6:19pm
Msg #276688

I've been very fortunate with Vista on my Dell. Never had any problems with that program as others say they have or with my Dell. Dell came with Vista. Have it set up with networking on two Gateway laptops and a Brother 8860DN, Brother 5250DN and a Lexmark 5470 printer (s). The laptops both are still running XP.

Reply by Jessc098 on 2/5/09 6:53pm
Msg #276689

I was forced to get a new computer when my other one had a motherboard fail.

I have a PDA that also functions as a modem, so I have a laptop and I love the flexibility that it offers me. (in a pinch I can even plug in microSD into my PDA and run that chip to a Kinko's to print docs). I am running with Vista, and yes, it's a gigantic pain and takes some getting used to. My greatest problem is that I did not upgrade my Office to the latest version when I bought the new machine. I'm actually running Office 2002 Professional (Don't laugh please).

I've downloaded converters for the latest file exchanges and such (when available) but my Office (especially Outlook) is crashing a lot with Vista and Microsoft's solution is to upgrade my MS Office (I priced this today, and office XP professional was $500....be still my heart...)

Long story short, if you're upgrading computers, keep in mind your software needs too--your old stuff may not be compatible anymore with your new machine. I'm pushing through but without hope for resolution, so I'm budgeting for an upgrade in software in the VERY near future.

Jessica

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 2/5/09 7:07pm
Msg #276691

You didn't mention what processor you had. I was running a PII 266 mhz until recently without any printing problems. The key was I had lots and lots of memory. But the drives were wearing out, the power supply quit, so it was time.

Everyone has their favorite brand. Personally I have an ACER desktop and a Dell laptop. Most people I know seem to have either Dells or HPs and all seem happy with their choices.

I own a laptop and a desktop. I personally would never replace a desktop with a laptop with the applications I run at home because of the heat factor and multiple drives that won't fit in a laptop. Plus you can put a lot more memory in a desktop than most laptops unless you buy a high end desktop replacement laptop. But those are heavy.

99% of the issues with Vista were from people who bought a Vista upgrade to load on their older computer that wasn't enough computer to run the new OS. Or they were trying to get older programs to run on Vista. I have been running Vista on both computers for a while now without issue. My desktop came with XP and I upgraded to Vista only because I had people who were asking me about it and I wanted to play. But before I made the change, I made sure I had enough computer to run it. I also had a back up computer. Vista is a memory and processor hog, but you can turn off features you don't want or need and streamline it quite a bit.

I do own an old MAC, but the business apps I run are slanted to business, so I own PCs now. The new MACs have Intel processors in them now and you can run Windows, but MACs cost twice as much, so what's the point? I do run dual boot and play with Linux quite a bit, but that doesn't apply to your situation.

Go play with computers at a big computer store see what you like and buy it. There are also some deals on the Dell website. The Dell outlet store is where I bought my laptop last year. Some deals there, also. Get at least 2gigs of RAM. Don't worry about the operating system being Vista. If it came on the computer, it will run fine. Now, personally, if I was in your situation and I thought I could get a few more months out of my computer, I might be tempted to wait until Windows 7 came on new computers. But if my computer was really being a pain in the neck, I would just jump in and buy a new one.

Good Luck. ...

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 2/5/09 8:50pm
Msg #276702

As Usual, Glenn...

...great advice, especially regarding Vista OS which I've been using since it came out 2 years ago. Your admonition to have at least 2 Gig memory is right on as well. I'm currently running 4 Gig on a Falcon Northwest machine. I've had almost zero compatibility issues with Vista Ultimate.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 2/5/09 8:56pm
Msg #276704

As you know, I am a memory junkie

Since it is so cheap, I am running 8 gig in the desktop right now. That allows the entire program to run in the RAM and it will hardly ever use the virtual memory ....

Reply by Les_CO on 2/6/09 9:38am
Msg #276735

Re: As you know, I am a memory junkie

I thought that Vista could not utilize anything over 4 gig's of memory?

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 2/6/09 10:52am
Msg #276746

Never heard that one .....

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 2/6/09 11:23am
Msg #276751

All you have to do when you add more memory is go into Control panel then System and you will have your answer. It could be that the person that said that had BIOS on his computer that would not recognize more than 4 gb That is a different issue. That happens often on older computers and the BIOS need to be updated.

Of course, I don't take anyone's word for anything when they tell me "You can't do that!' I'll try it for myself.

Reply by Les_CO on 2/6/09 7:06pm
Msg #276797

I went to the Crucial web site…They say I’m maxed out on memory (RAM) on my computer (4 GB). If you are running Windows XP or Vista 32 bit…. 4 GB is the max, and maybe only 3.5 BG will be ‘seen’. Running XP or Vista in 64 bit (depending on which Vista Basic/Premium/Ultimate) you can go up to (maybe) 128 GB. This may all be BS….I have not a clue!

Reply by Les_CO on 2/6/09 7:06pm
Msg #276798

I went to the Crucial web site…They say I’m maxed out on memory (RAM) on my computer (4 GB). If you are running Windows XP or Vista 32 bit…. 4 GB is the max, and maybe only 3.5 BG will be ‘seen’. Running XP or Vista in 64 bit (depending on which Vista Basic/Premium/Ultimate) you can go up to (maybe) 128 GB. This may all be BS….I have not a clue!

Reply by Les_CO on 2/6/09 11:40am
Msg #276753

I have 2 HP desktops at the office, and 2 Dells at home..the HP's still are running XP..the newer Dells both Vista, and a HP laptop w/Vista. I had a very difficult time getting my HP 2015x (3 tray) printer to work on Vista. Called everyone (The sortware that came with the printer will not install with Vista.) Finally I just did the plug-n-play using Vista drivers and the printer now works, but without the HP toolbox, and other stuff. The Dell desktops came with 4 gigs of memory installed (Intel core 2 quad) When talking with someone at a computer/supply store about getting more memory. They said that with Vista you should have at least 3 gig's for it wo work properly, but Vista see/can't use more than 4 gig's. Talked me out of buying more memory? I have always believed that one could not have too much memory? I have a bunch of computers (including 2 old Dells and a Sony laptop) but I don't know anything about them.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 2/5/09 8:54pm
Msg #276703

I should have said

Most business apps are slanted to Windows ....

Also, for the most part regardless of computer brand, they use many of the same brand of drives, motherboards. Most parts are interchangeable between computers ... Just buy as much RAM as you can afford. Most slow running issues can be traced right back to memory or the settings on how the memory is used.

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 2/5/09 11:03pm
Msg #276715

Speaking of Vista there are 2 versions

We have several computers here, one running Vista (came with it about 18 mos ago) and I have had occassion to use it and had no issues whatsoever.
Vista (64 bit) built for newer faster computers, is a whole other thing! I bought a new laptop in Dec, with Vista, not realizing that it was a different version of Vista, being THE 64bit version. The 64 bit version will not work with e-fax, (unless I defaul to pdf) will not work with zipforms/winforms,(unable to email out of the software or into docu-sign) will not work with docusign... I am in the process of installing XP professional instead. I can't afford to wait for the drivers to "catch up", no telling when that will be, if ever? It makes me wonder if this will be a defunct OS, like so many of the others.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 2/6/09 2:45pm
Msg #276777

Be Careful, there is also a 64 bit version of XP

professional that won't work any better with the apps you mention than the 64 bit version of Vista. Neither one is backwards compatable with much of anything. I haven't played much with the 64 bit version, but I do believe there is a setting that you can change to get the 64 bit version run in 32 bit mode.

If you had installed the 32 bit version of Vista, chances are you would have no issues. Docusign works fine with Vista, provided your computer is up to running Vista.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/5/09 7:10pm
Msg #276692

You don't say what kind of printer you're using...that has a lot to do with print speed too...MHO

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/5/09 7:17pm
Msg #276693

Vista is just fine... and after using it for well over a year now, I can say that I actually far prefer it over XP. There are just a lot of little nuance features I use in Vista that I love and make things go faster. A lot of the "nightmare" situations were mass hysteria and people trying upgrading incompatible software. I've never had a problem. Although... yes, the incompatible software list was a bit of an annoyance at first, it has now mostly corrected itself.

I have a Compaq desktop on XP and a Toshiba laptop on Vista. I love my laptop and use it almost all the time because it is so convenient.... but it can't handle everything.. and I'm often running one job on one computer, and one on another - but my needs are not exclusive to mobile notary things. I also do a lot of graphics and publishing, document design, technical writing, etc. I do much of that on my desktop simply because it has better memory.

OFten the issues with slow printing aren't just your computer, but the printer too.

A laptop is great, and you can run them exclusively no problem these days.... but the true desktop replacement notebooks are much more expensive and have some weight to them. The cheap ones out there are not good enough.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 2/10/09 2:15am
Msg #276990

I also have a Toshiba with Vista pre-installed. Initially, I had some issues with my older HP printer (availability of drivers). They've since been updated. Now the worst thing that happens is that when I power up I get a window that says something like devce not found [I'm not sure because I now just automatically close it and move on.] It works just the same as it did with my old printer. And I agree that there are lots of features that are nice, once you get hang of it -- which was pretty simple. I think you're right on with the "mass hysteria" comment! BTW, I've never had any problems with the Toshiba, after at least a year and a half.

Reply by FeliseSoCal on 2/5/09 7:28pm
Msg #276694

Wow, thanks for all the helpful comments. You guys are awesome.
My tower HP is 7935 and the printer is Hp laserjet 1022 which has worked for years but is too slow printing, mainly because it taks forever for my PC to send the file. It sounds like most people have laptops and desktops. I can't really afford 2 new ones. Maybe I should start with a powerful desktop and get a laptop when I can afford it. Probably HP would be better since my printer is HP.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/5/09 7:31pm
Msg #276696

I have...

2 Dell desktops....one Dell laptop...one HP printer....one Brother printer/scanner/copier/fax .... all work very well together...

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 2/5/09 9:39pm
Msg #276713

Check these settings ....

Go into control panel, then printers. Right click on your printer, choose properties, click on the advanced tab. Make sure the boxs checked are: "Spool print documents so program finishes printing faster", and "Start printing immediately"

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 2/6/09 5:51am
Msg #276722

Glenn is very knowledgable, use his info. I just bought a Dell Inspiron with 2.1g and had Dell install Windows XP. I had bought the Dell XPS with Vista about 30 days ago and found it impossible to use so I sent it back. I'm not a computer wiz and spent too many hours on the phone with Dell, etc to get it up an running with my printer. Much to much trouble.

Reply by CF on 2/6/09 8:01am
Msg #276723

While on this topic

I have been considering getting a new laptop...I have a cheap Acre one that I have used for a few e-sigings; but am thinking about a Mac Book to use as my primary. I am concerned about printing with a USB and not a Parellel cord. How fast will does the USB work in comparision to the Parelle cord? Anyone with this information would be greatly appreciated.

I have an old Dell that has been upgraded several time and continues to crash and get virus' and has been reformatted 3 times in the past 4 mos....it is going down and fast.

Need to determine if I should get another desktop or the lap top that I want. Print speed will dictitate this purchase!!!

Reply by jojo_MN on 2/6/09 8:51am
Msg #276725

Re: While on this topic

I've only been using USB for the last six years. Just as fast as parrelle

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 2/6/09 11:02am
Msg #276748

Re: While on this topic

USB is just as fast if not faster .... So much goes into print speed. If you search the board, you can find a lot of posts on the subject. In my opinion, most issues are caused by the wrong settings or too little memory.

My first laptop I bougjht just 4 years ago, was a cheap ACER with a not-so-fast processor. I was still able to run two printers at a time at the full rated pppm of the printer with it through the USB ports. I made sure it had all the memory I could put in it. Unfortunately, it did not like riding cross country in a motorcycle saddlebag or being dropped. I am extremely happy with the Dell I bought last year. although it stays home with I take a motorcycle trip.

Reply by cntrlcalntry on 2/6/09 1:46pm
Msg #276765

Just bought an Acer ...

And I got what I paid for. I would not purchase another.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.