New to being a signing agent
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2009 Index

Posted by Denise Wallace-Adkins on 2/17/09 8:33am
Msg #277738

Hi,
I am considering becoming a signing agent and need some pointers. I have been a notary for my business for 6 years. I live in NC and have no idea what the process is to get my name out there to companies. I don't know what the standard fees are etc. If anyone would be so kind as to give me some info I would be greatly appreciated. I honestly don't know if this is something I would be interested in persueing. Thank you for you time!!

Reply by GA/Atty on 2/17/09 9:02am
Msg #277740

You can use the company listings in Signing Central

to contact them to get into their databases so they might call you when they have a job in your area.

Standard fee is $100 - $125.

Reply by Lee/AR on 2/17/09 9:08am
Msg #277741

Use the orange search button and type in message 33325--which is as comprehensive as you're likely to see anywhere on this planet. It's long, read it all.

Reply by John/CT on 2/17/09 9:53am
Msg #277747

In the meantime ...

don't even think of quitting your day job. It's tough enough as it is to survive out there in Signing Agent land.

Reply by MW/VA on 2/17/09 1:45pm
Msg #277775

I hope you have carefully researched the "demand" aspect of this business vs. the supply.
This has never been an easy business, but it is really tough now with the meltdown of the mortgage industry. If you have done your homework & are truly prepared, I wish you the best of luck.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 2/17/09 7:51pm
Msg #277820

You mentioned that you've been a notary, but you didn't say if you have any knowledge about loan documents. Knowing how to notarize isn't enough. If you do decide to pursue this, and I heartily agree with the others about not giving up your other business, I can't recommend strongly enough that you learn everything you can about the loan business and loan documents. Notarizing is a pre-requisite, but a small part of what we do. The borrowers are counting on you knowing what you're doing - and there are lots of potential consequences / liabilities from mistakes.

Once you learn the business and really know your stuff, getting your name out there could be another full time job. People are dropping out of this field right and left, as there is no longer enough work to keep everyone as busy as they would like to be. Good luck!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/17/09 8:28pm
Msg #277831

My .02 FWIW

In addition to the other comments, click on the "Find a Notary" tab above, insert your zip code and you'll get a list of notaries within 20-30-50 miles of your zip code - your competition...and those are only the notaries listed here on NotRot...it will give you an idea of the "supply v demand" ratios...Smile

Good Luck..

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.