Notary Rotary
Question about changing dates
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2009 Index

Posted by Raynon Taylor on 2/19/09 3:34pm
Msg #278109

Would you have a borrower sign the Note & Deed of Trust if they had incorrect dates without changing the dates? I have never heard of that before, is it something commonly done?

Reply by jba/fl on 2/19/09 4:47pm
Msg #278115

yes

As long as the date that they sign is correct, meaning that the date they write is the date they are signing. And you know that the date you fill in on your certificates is to be done the date that you are doing the work. Some docs are not date sensitive. If unsure, you can point out to the hiring entity for your won peace of mind.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 2/19/09 5:47pm
Msg #278122

The majority of the packages I see have a different document date from the actual signing date. Depends on the lender. Even the signing date (if it's pre-filled) isn't of concern to me, unless I'm notarizing that document. In that case, my main concern is to make sure that the date on my certificate is correct. In CA, at least, the date the borrower signs an acknowledgement doesn't have to be the same as the date it gets notarized. (Not true for a jurat.)

Reply by JanetK_CA on 2/19/09 5:50pm
Msg #278123

LA is different...

Just noticed where you're from. Louisiana laws tend to be much different from the rest of the country, so I suggest you check your own state's laws to make sure there isn't a different requirement there. Or see if one of the knowledgeable folks from LA have a comment on that.

Reply by JanetLA on 2/19/09 8:03pm
Msg #278136

LA is very different

but you can call or email me and I will discuss it with you. If I post the things we are responsible for here, it would be a waste of time for anyone but us lone little notaries in Louisiana. Best of months to you all. (and Happy Mardi Gras)

Reply by MikeC/NY on 2/19/09 7:44pm
Msg #278134

Depends on the lender or TC. Some insist that the date on the document must match the signing date, others give you some leeway. In most jurisdictions it doesn't really matter, so it depends on the policy of whoever hired you. I've done acknowledgments on mortgage documents a year after the date on the mortgage (original mortgage was never recorded and presumed lost, so it had to be signed again).

I personally would never change the date on the documents unless instructed to do so by whoever hired me. Obviously, they don't get to make that call when it comes to the notarization date...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.