Notary Rotary
Spelling errors on docs-MAKES ME NUTS!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2009 Index

Posted by MasterCloser on 2/17/09 11:41am
Msg #277757

Why can't people pay attention to what they are doing? Why create more work for the Notary?
Example: NAME AND ADDRESS spelled incorrectly on every single doc!
If only people paid attention.......

Reply by Lee/AR on 2/17/09 12:02pm
Msg #277759

Let's add "Spelling errors on docs-$20" to 277566 n/m

Reply by PAW on 2/17/09 12:18pm
Msg #277761

Because the 'clerk' enters the wrong information in the computer once and it is proliferated throughout all the documents with great accuracy and speed.

When there's a mistake like that, I just attach a Discrepancy Alert Memo and Notice (DAMN for short) alerting the title company to the fact that there is a typographical error. The compliance agreement/LPOA then can be invoked to correct the error.

The only time I have the borrower's make corrections on the doc's for consistent typos is when the name is misspelled beneath the signature line.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 2/17/09 12:24pm
Msg #277762

A DAMN notice....I like that Paul n/m

Reply by thnotary_NY on 2/17/09 12:34pm
Msg #277763

Re: A DAMN notice....I like that Paul

Reminds me of that story of those DAMN beavers.

Reply by Lee/AR on 2/17/09 12:41pm
Msg #277764

"The only time I have the borrower's make corrections on the doc's for consistent typos is when the name is misspelled beneath the signature line." That's usually where the error happens. $20 still applies. As long as we're dreaming...they ought to give the B's $20 each, too.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 2/17/09 7:39pm
Msg #277817

Great idea!

In my experience, the name misspellings most often happen with an elderly person with arthritis - or someone who is just moving very slowly...

Reply by Ernest__CT on 2/17/09 9:46pm
Msg #277858

Hmmm. Does the DAMN really work?

Every time I've verbally or emailly (yup, "emailly" is a new word) informed somebody that there was a spelling problem the answer "Have the borrower correct it and initial." has come back toot sweet. And any time I missed a typo, I was told that I should have spotted it and fixed it in the usual manner.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 2/18/09 6:15am
Msg #277872

Re: Hmmm. Does the DAMN really work?

Lol Yes I've been finding a lot of typo's. The wrong state and county, name under sig/line I just have the BWR correct, int and date it. I think when these companies get jobs they just take as many as they can and crank them out as fast as they can. It's been a longgg hard year for everyone. End result errors Smile

Reply by PAW on 2/18/09 7:55am
Msg #277883

Re: Hmmm. Does the DAMN really work? YES

When I call, I am told the same thing. There are times you just can't call or you don't get any answer. I always include a memo at the top of the stack of documents being returned, itemizing any discrepancy or anomaly in the documents. At the top of body of the memo, in big bold letters, it states:

ATTN: CLOSING or SETTLEMENT AGENT

***** PLEASE READ BEFORE PROCESSING *****

Seems to work for me!

Reply by jojo_MN on 2/18/09 8:35am
Msg #277892

In the past, I've had title companies tell me that everywhere the borrowers name appears on EACH page had to be crossed out (with one line), corrected and initialled by both borrowers (if two). Of course, it always happens on the largest packages, never the small ones!

If I can't get hold of any contacts at the TC or lender, I tell the borrowers that I'm not attorney, etc. I then tell them that we are going to procede with what others have told me to do and they need to be aware that there is a chance that it won't be accepted and they might have to re-sign the entire doc package, but at least we can try to have it completed before their rate-locks expire by using this method. They are usually happy with this (although miffed about the error).

This has happened at least 20 times to me over the years. Only once did the lender want the docs re-drawn. I got the re-sign also, with full pay from the first.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.