Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
UGH... how do these people manage to get commissioned?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2009 Index

Posted by Marian_in_CA on 2/17/09 4:23pm
Msg #277794

I just got off the phone with a lady in another county... her town is just over the county line and she's having trouble finding a notary. There are no mailbox or pack and ship stores in her town.

I'm not able to help her until Saturday... but she said she'd called some names she found online and they all told her they weren't certified to help her because she's in another county. Even she knew that was bogus.

I gave her a few names and numbers of local notaries who know better so I'm sure she'll get help.... but dang. What kind of (to borrow from Becca) MoMos are these people and how did they manage to pass the notary exam?

I used to think that CA's notary exam needed to be 85% to pass rather than 70%.... but now I'm thinking it should be 90%. Force these people to actually know the rules before they can pick up a seal.

Reply by MW/VA on 2/17/09 4:34pm
Msg #277795

Here is Virginia there isn't even a course or exam required. Many become notaries for their employment, obviously. For all the criticism of the NNA, it least it was some education those of us who were getting into this profession benefited by. To add to that, the public really has no clue what a "Notary Republic", as we are commonly referred to, does.

Reply by John/CT on 2/17/09 4:48pm
Msg #277797

Re: UGH...

Maybe these people simply didn't want to travel for the single notary fee and mileage allowed by the State? Much easier, I suppose, to just brush off the request with the excuse given.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/17/09 5:20pm
Msg #277803

Re: UGH...

Easy...perhaps.

But as a public official to lie to the public?

Reply by Lee/AR on 2/17/09 5:01pm
Msg #277798

Re: UGH... I'd bet that John is right....

many people get really bent...and angry if you mention 'travel fee'. Just a way of trying to get out of a situation gracefully. Just a thought...why couldn't she just go to her local bank? I always suggest that first.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/17/09 5:15pm
Msg #277800

Most banks in CA won't do it unless it's for documents drawn up at that branch.

I just have a problem with them lying to people like that. Telling them they're not certified to do work in another county just to not take a job? That's not very ethical.

I know they get upset when the travel fee is mentioned... but that's why I always keep a list of "fixed" notaries for them, like UPS stores, etc. Of course, I always tell them they can call me back for other names or if they'd rather have me come instead.

In some cases, I'd just offer to meet them somewhere and reduce or eliminate the travel fee. I'm always willing to do that because those people are often the source of referrals later on.

Reply by Lee/AR on 2/17/09 5:21pm
Msg #277804

Who said they were loan docs?

Are you telling me that a CA bank won't notarize...whatever? Your kid's permission slip to go on a field trip? Or something equally common, 1 or 2 signatures? Really?

Reply by davidK/CA on 2/17/09 5:32pm
Msg #277806

Re: Who said they were loan docs?

Lee/AR:

It would be highly unusual for a bank in CA to allow their employees to notarize any document not generated by that particular bank. The "powers that be" simply don't want the potential liability from "off the street" notarization requests (probably because the employee-Notary has very limited knowledge of "what to do"Wink. In most cases they won't even admit that one of their employees is a Notary Public.

It may be different elsewhere in the country but as a general rule in CA banks only notarize their own documents, if at all. The local banks in my area almost always refer such requests to unaffiliated Notaries Public such as myself or send them to the postal stores.

Yes, CA is different from the rest of the world.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/17/09 5:57pm
Msg #277808

Re: Who said they were loan docs?

David's correct. Banks in CA rarely notarize documents unless it's for documents they generated.

They won't even notarize an out-of-bank document for some of their private (AKA high depositor) clients... or at least, Bank of America won't. An elderly friend of mine was actually one of the reasons I became a notary. Many years ago, she had a single form she needed notarizing, and she has a private banker through BofA. They refused to do it because it wasn't a document drawn up at the bank itself. She had tons of money deposited with them and they refused one simple notarization.

Sadly enough... it's very common practice. While notaries, as a general rule, are required to provide services... there is a bit in CA code that turns into a gigantic, frustrating loophole:

"§ 8202.8. Private employers; limitation on provision of notarial services

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a private employer of a notary public who has
entered into an agreement with his or her employee pursuant to Section 8202.7 may limit,
during the employee’s ordinary course of employment, the providing of notarial services
by the employee solely to transactions directly associated with the business purposes of the
employer."

Banks, most especially, refuse notarial service to the general public under this provision.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 2/17/09 7:25pm
Msg #277815

Bank notaries

Interestingly, I just heard a bank commercial on the radio this afternoon that mentioned that a client's "personal banker" was a notary, using that to tout their great service. Still doesn't address the non-clients, though. Last week, I heard another company advertising free notary service, but can't remember who it was. (I'll pay better attention next time.) If that means notaries are becoming less available, I won't be complaining!

I often do the same thing as you, Marian. If it looks like they will be balking at a travel fee, I offer to meet them at my "remote office" (a little coffee place around the corner) for just the signature fees. (That's my pin money...)

BTW, in reference to some previous comments above, I'm not aware of any restrictions on travel fees under CA law. I don't believe it's addressed at all. I consider travel completely separate from the notarial act.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/17/09 7:52pm
Msg #277821

Re: Bank notaries

Yeah, and those "personal bankers" aren't really available to every customer, either. They're usually reserved for customers who have more than $250,000 in deposits.

There are no travel fee restrictions in CA.

And yeah... I've found it really helps to offer to meet them "halfway" or at a fixed location. People seem to like that a lot... and I kind of prefer it anyway for general notary work.

Those car magnets sure help, too. I've had several calls while in the car on the way back from an appointment and the conversation goes, "Hi, I just saw you drive by... can you come back and notarize something for me?"

Reply by sue_pa on 2/18/09 12:03pm
Msg #277929

Re: Bank notaries

...Those car magnets sure help, too. I've had several calls while in the car on the way back from an appointment and the conversation goes, "Hi, I just saw you drive by... can you come back and notarize something for me?" ...

Marian, I am not doubting you but I find it hard to believe someone could read your sign, have the ability to write the number down while they're driving , call and actually have documents in their car to be notarized. How often could these situations occur?

Reply by PAW on 2/18/09 12:24pm
Msg #277936

You would be surprised!

I have had that exact scenario happen a while back. The "signer" was leaving their bank after the teller/notary had refused to notarize her POA. She had her daughter call me on her cell phone. We set up the appointment for later that evening, but could have done it right there, on the spot, if I had time to stop.

Most often the signers won't have the documents with them, but having your number on the back and sides of the car has resulted in calls that has more than paid for the 'advertising'.

Reply by Mamie on 2/18/09 3:18pm
Msg #277996

Re: You would be surprised!

I have signs on the doors of my car, plus on the back window is lettering and phone numbers and have had people behind and next me, call while waiting for a light. Also while I''m in a store they see my car outside and call and can do the notarization on the spot.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/17/09 8:22pm
Msg #277825

My bank won't allow their notary to do it either

unless it's something generated by the bank....

Which is why I make sure all the branches around town have a supply of my business cards on hand...Smile

Reply by PAW on 2/17/09 8:34pm
Msg #277833

Depends on the bank

BofA and Wachovia have restrictions on what their notaries can do. SunTrust's restrictions are more lax, but not all their tellers or managers are notaries so there are times when the branch may not have a notary available.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/17/09 9:22pm
Msg #277849

That's why I said "my bank"....I wasn't making a

blanket statement of all Florida banks.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 2/18/09 10:19am
Msg #277901

Re: My bank won't allow their notary to do it either

Seems local banks here won't allow their notaries to notarize for customers either. I have no problem with that, as they usually end up coming to meSmile

Reply by MikeC/NY on 2/18/09 4:08pm
Msg #278004

In my experience, most people balk at the travel fee, so I always tell them to check with the local FedEx or Kinko's or their local bank if it's general notary work. Sometimes they call back anyway.

If it's loan documents, I give them the same option but tell them that those notaries may or may not be familiar with loan documents. Technically, in this state an employer cannot mandate what type of documents an employee notary can notarize, but I'm sure banks do it on a regular basis. I know that some of them used to refuse to notarize for anyone other than customers, which is totally illegal.

Reply by rengel/CA on 2/17/09 6:30pm
Msg #277809

Many CA banks don't have Notaries anymore n/m

Reply by Lee/AR on 2/17/09 6:54pm
Msg #277812

OK, I have been enlightened. And surprised.

Here in AR, banks pride themselves on "all our employees are notaries". Different States/Different Strokes.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/17/09 7:42pm
Msg #277818

I beleive that...

The cost of becoming a notary in CA is getting way too high for some employers to foot the bill. That's one of the reasons that the legislature was considering raising the maximum fees last year. That didn't go through, but I'm sure they'll consider it again soon enough.

All the better for us... but, the general public isn't going to like it.

Reply by Les_CO on 2/17/09 5:09pm
Msg #277799

If you a fellow Notary, and a ’Signing Agent,’ one of our peers, thinks so little of many of our counterparts….. just think what Title, or a SS, that has to deal with our vast diversity/disparaty thinks? It almost...ALMOST..justifies some of the "hand-holding?"

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/17/09 5:18pm
Msg #277801

Well... I only think that way of the ones who clearly don't know what they're doing. I happily give out names/numbers of competent notaries... of which there are many.

Reply by Les_CO on 2/18/09 10:19am
Msg #277900

I too know many very knowledgeable and highly skilled 'Notary Signing Agents.' I believe most that read/post here are in that category. But there are some out there that really should NOT even try to be in this business. I bet Sylvia, Tony, or some others could tell us some real horror stories?

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 2/17/09 6:52pm
Msg #277811

why do all the little squares/boxes appear in your post? n/m

Reply by John/CT on 2/17/09 9:18pm
Msg #277847

Re: The little squares/boxes ...

I believe they designate Premier Members of NR

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 2/18/09 12:46am
Msg #277866

not the little orange squares. The squares that often appear in Leon's (and others..) post. sort of like a space, but it s a box?

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 2/18/09 12:47am
Msg #277867

I mean Les's post above...not Leon

Reply by PAW on 2/18/09 7:48am
Msg #277882

Check which character set your browser is using

Sometimes, the quote characters (single quote ' and double quote "Wink don't translate correctly with the ASCII code the post is written in. There are other special characters that may do this as well:

' apostrophe (same as single quote)
< less than
> greater than
{ left brace
} right brace
¢ cent sign
£ sterling Pound sign
¥ Yen
etc. etc. etc.

In IE, you can see what character set is being used by clicking on the "View" menu option, then select the "Encoding" item. If "Central European (ISO)" is selected, for example, then little square boxes will appear. Check "Auto Select" and everything should be okay.

Reply by BrendaTx on 2/18/09 8:15am
Msg #277887

Sheila when I use FireFox I see them. When I use IE

I don't. I just ignore it.

Reply by PAW on 2/18/09 8:49am
Msg #277893

Re: Sheila when I use FireFox I see them. When I use IE

I use Firefox and IE and don't see them. You may want to check and see what encoding character set you are using in Firefox (Tools -> Options -> Content -> Languages) as well as the setting for IE.

Reply by Ernest__CT on 2/17/09 9:29pm
Msg #277851

In CT we're allowed to charge $5 per notarization plus $0.35 per mile for travel. Antiquated?r You bet! Apt to change soon?r Don't count on it.

CT Notaries Public are not supposed to refuse any notarial act as long as the signer provides proper ID and the statutory fee.

Town Hall Notaries Public have all been told by their town attorneys NOT to notarize wills, living wills, etc. Banks's Notaries Public frequently are reported to have refused to notarize signatures on not-created-here documents.

I'd love to see the CT Secretary of State start revoking commissions. It wouldn't take many.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.