Notary Rotary
magicjack.com
Notary Discussion History

magicjack.com
Go Back to February, 2009 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 2/16/09 10:18am
Msg #277645

magicjack.com

Has any one on this board made the connection and had good experience with magicjack.com. I'm hearing everyone talking about it, before I leap, would like to know if any other NR members have used and what the pros/cons are. Trying to cut expenses, seems like $19.95 would be a good investment!

Reply by CharlotteTX on 2/16/09 10:30am
Msg #277647

I bought one for my son,( who was deployed in Jan. to Iraq) he has called me several times on it. Works very good. No lag in talking. Best feature we don't have to pay for calling charges. Just the price of what we bought it for, good for 1 year. Hopefully he'll be home before it runs out. Although we will probably renew.

Reply by Calnotary on 2/16/09 10:56am
Msg #277650

Mine is about to expire the first year and I m not renewing. It worked pretty good the first weeks. I was able to fax more than 50 pages but it gives all types of error in my other PCs and somebody told me that this software installs lots of spywear. one of my PCs quit working when using the magic jack, I have no idea if was related to magic jack.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 2/16/09 12:08pm
Msg #277660

I don't know anything about the Magicjack other than what I have seen advertised, but here is my thought.

It is another drive you put on your computer with programming on it, right? So you should be able to scan that drive with your anti-virus program or something like spybot to see just what is on it. So if there is spyware on it, you should be able to block it or remove it. It would be an interesting challenge.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 2/16/09 12:12pm
Msg #277661

Had it a few months now, no problems :) n/m

Reply by Erwin Nudel on 2/16/09 9:00pm
Msg #277717

I have a MagicJack and use it as an extra phone line for making outgoing calls. The only person I have given the number to is my wife who sometimes calls me when I am sitting at the computer and she is somewhere else in the house. Works well for outgoing calls, and calls anywhere in the US and Canada are free. I tried using it for faxes and found that there was always a "communication problem" that ended the fax in the middle and I was never able to figure out which documents had and had not been sent, so had to resend the whole package. I stopped using it for faxes. (They tell you it might not work for faxes with some fax machines.) The biggest problem I have had with it is there are no numbers or e mail addresses you can call or send to for help. There is absolutely no customer service if you have a problem. I tried to extend it for five additional years for $60.00, and paid, but have been unable to extend my subscription per their instructions. Also, I have no brick and morter address for them so can't send a regular letter.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 2/16/09 10:47am
Msg #277648

16 months and doing fine. n/m

Reply by TRG_wy on 2/16/09 5:39pm
Msg #277696

Re: magicjack.com - How are faxs?

Been thinking about this for a long time and glad you brought it up.

I only have a land line to handle fax backs. If I can use it to handle these then I would be very happy. Our phone lines here are expensive; $35/month for a single line and I hate it.

So, if anyone has a positive experience using it with their fax machine then I would really like to know. - Thx

Reply by Philip Johnson on 2/16/09 7:33pm
Msg #277712

Not very good. Go to Maxemail.com

and set up an email account and wave goodbye to Qwest.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 2/17/09 10:31am
Msg #277751

Re: Not very good. Go to Maxemail.com

I can't use mine for faxes. Won't go through. Calls are "iffy". Worked great the first few months, then started getting static and muzak on the line. No customer service whatsoever.
I won't be renewing.

Reply by Mary Ellen Harvley on 2/20/09 7:27am
Msg #278167

LOVE MINE!

There is a forum for supmitting any issues and I have gotten answers to everything submitted.

They give you tweaks for your fax machine that MAY let you send & receive faxes.

I have a second one that I have not hooked up yet.

You can make it work all the regular phone jacks in the house--this is explained in easy terms on their website.

They even have a re-seller program and they tell you a min. you must resell them for but you can above that all you want.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.