Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by housemouse on 1/6/09 11:13am
Msg #273647

2009 recission calender

what website is the best to obtain 2009 recission calender

Reply by sue_pa on 1/6/09 11:29am
Msg #273649

just curious

I'm truly am asking here. Can't you count to 3 by yourself? Why in the world would you need a calendar? Also, how many times a year do you actually calculate the date? I'm guessing I do it perhaps once or twice a year.

Reply by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 1/6/09 2:14pm
Msg #273676

Re: just curious

***I'm truly am asking here. Can't you count to 3 by yourself? Why in the world would you need a [rescission] calendar?***

I use a rescission calendar for every real estate closing I do in which the rescission period applies. I print out copies for the applicable month and carry them with me. For the closing, I explain the three-day cancellation period, circle the current date and the cancellation date, draw an arrow between them, and give the sheet to the borrower(s). They appear to appreciate it.

The best calendar I have found for that purpose is produced by the Pennsylvania Notary Association. It can be found at http://www.notary.org/PDFs/Rescission_calendar_2008_PAN.pdf

Reply by sue_pa on 1/6/09 2:31pm
Msg #273679

Contrary to so many on these boards who seem to think the entire deal rests with the RTC, I don't make any kind of a big deal or show at all about it. It's just a document buried in the big pile. Personally, I think 99.99% of the borrowers would not need circles drawn should they wish to cancel.

Reply by MichiganAl on 1/6/09 2:46pm
Msg #273683

I find it completely over the top to pull out a calendar at every closing and circle and diagram it like the borrowers are three year olds. That's just an overblown way to take something simple and bloat it into something that looks more complicated than it is.

Reply by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 1/6/09 3:35pm
Msg #273688

***I find it completely over the top to pull out a calendar at every closing***

Fortunately for my borrowers, they deal only with someone who is concerned with their understanding, not someone who is concerned only with his perceptions.

Reply by CaliNotary on 1/6/09 5:27pm
Msg #273696

"Fortunately for my borrowers, they deal only with someone who is concerned with their understanding, not someone who is concerned only with his perceptions."

Are your borrowers too stupid to understand the section on the RTC form that says they have until midnight of XXX date to cancel? Because my borrowers seem to understand it just fine when i point to that date.

Reply by MichiganAl on 1/6/09 7:00pm
Msg #273705

Some people like to make a grand production of it all.

They'll play Realtor, loan officer, title producer, lawyer, and more, even going as far as calling the borrower days after the closing to "follow up." That's not at all about the borrower, that's about trying to make ourselves more important than we really are. In thousands of closings I've never needed to pull out a pie chart or any visual aids for someone to completely grasp their RTC. Here's a form that explains the last form that's already perfectly understandable. Umm, ok. Maybe we should just put together a PowerPoint presentation for each doc and make the borrowers watch it before signing each page.

In addition to making a borrower comfortable and making sure their terms have been completely disclosed, there's a lot to be said for being efficient in a closing. They appreciate someone who can cover all their concerns and questions without spending an hour and a half at their kitchen table charting and over-explaining every minuet redundant detail.

Reply by CaliNotary on 1/6/09 7:22pm
Msg #273710

Re: Some people like to make a grand production of it all.

"In addition to making a borrower comfortable and making sure their terms have been completely disclosed, there's a lot to be said for being efficient in a closing. They appreciate someone who can cover all their concerns and questions without spending an hour and a half at their kitchen table charting and over-explaining every minuet redundant detail."

Ain't that the truth. I can't even count the number of times that I've been thanked by a borrower for completing the signing so quickly. Most of them are just fine with a one sentence summary of the page that they're signing.

Reply by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 1/7/09 11:29pm
Msg #273809

***I can't even count the number of times that I've been thanked by a borrower for completing the signing so quickly.***

So you and your Michigan clone prefer to rush borrowers through a signing to fit your needs. I prefer to focus on the needs of the borrower, to ensure that they have all the information they wish, consistent with my responsibilities, to understand the process. Borrower-centered signings work for me, for the borrowers, and for the people I sign for. I can understand, however, considering the surliness you typically display on this forum, why that concept might pose some difficulties for you.

Reply by sue_pa on 1/7/09 7:14am
Msg #273723

...Maybe we should just put together a PowerPoint presentation for each doc and make the borrowers watch it before signing each page. ...

There was someone thinking along those lines at some point within the past year. He/she wanted to type up a summary of each document to leave with the borrowers because he/she thought they didn't grasp the true meaning of the paperwork as written and this person was sure once they were out the door the borrowers were completely clueless.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 1/7/09 12:41am
Msg #273720

I think Hugh has a great idea

We are dealing in times where borrower(s) are very nervous about signing any kind of loan and I will do what Hugh has done and print out a rescission calendar (and circle/arrow/etc) and hand it to the borrower(s).

I think it is just a great customer service idea, at no expense.

I am in the Inland Empire, CA where 39- 45 % of the borrower(s) are Up Side Down and when I do get a refi, I like this marketing idea.

Reply by CaliNotary on 1/7/09 2:58am
Msg #273721

It's a pointless idea

The borrower doesn't need a rescission calendar for the entire year, they need to know what is the last day that they have to cancel. Which is CLEARLY indicated on the RTC forms. All you're doing is adding more crap to the pile.

If you're that concerned about them not understanding something so basic and easy to understand, bring a big sharpie and write the date on their forearm, tell them not to shower for a couple of days, and when it wears off on it's own that means their rescission period is over.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 1/8/09 12:09am
Msg #273810

Re: It's a pointless idea

Brian Lynch

I'll remeber to bring a "Sharpie."

Reply by Karen/OK on 1/7/09 12:01pm
Msg #273736

Thanks, Hugh!

That's a great calendar. I just printed it and will use it. It never hurts to have another useful tool. Be sure to change the 2008 to 2009 in the site address: http://www.notary.org/PDFs/Rescission_calendar_2009_PAN.pdf

Reply by Notary/Guy on 1/7/09 3:57pm
Msg #273763

Re: just curious 2009 Calendar

http://www.notary.org/PDFs/Rescission_calendar_2009_PAN.pdf

nna charges 20.00 for this calendar

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/6/09 11:48am
Msg #273656

Agree with Sue

I don't see where this is necessary BUT if you're more comfortable having the visual on hand, you can make your own - print out a monthly calendar (probably easily available online - I have one in MS Works) or buy a small, cheapo monthly planner - alongside each date write in red the rescission date - 3 or 4 days forward, sometimes 5 if a Sunday AND holiday are involved....easy peazy...

Reply by Linda Spanski on 1/6/09 12:02pm
Msg #273657

here's the only one I found for 2009

It's at Joan's site, notaryclasses dot com. I guess you other gals are sharper than I am when it comes to remembering holidays... I like having the calendar to ensure I know what I'm doing.

Reply by sue_pa on 1/6/09 2:32pm
Msg #273680

Re: here's the only one I found for 2009

so with a holiday, you've got to count to 4, possibly 5 if there is a Sunday thrown in there ... You still have an extra hand you haven't used !!!

Sorry, I just don't get it

Reply by MichiganAl on 1/6/09 2:38pm
Msg #273682

I found one I like much better

http://www.enotary.org/links/

It's under the "related links" tab.

I put it on my website if others want one. But I agree with Sue, I don't personally see any use for something that just counts to three.

Reply by MichiganAl on 1/6/09 2:48pm
Msg #273684

Also - I would have linked to the NotRot calendar but...

When I checked a few days ago, they just had the 2008 calendar.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/6/09 2:54pm
Msg #273685

They now have Jan and Feb of 2009... n/m

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 1/6/09 12:23pm
Msg #273660

Notary Rotary, of course...

Notary Rotary supplies the rescission dates... just click on The Library tab, then Rescission Dates.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 1/6/09 3:59pm
Msg #273689

I made everyone throw them in the trash

In my former inside days, I didn't allow the closers to use anything but their own fingers. Every single time someone miscalculated or used the wrong date, it was because they used a printed calendar - even the corporate-issued desk blotter calendars had errors.

If you have a few fingers available and you maybe drink a cup of coffee in the morning - you'll know when a holiday is coming up, and you'll be able to count it out.

Reply by Pat/IL on 1/6/09 4:56pm
Msg #273692

I use the finger method, too.

After counting out the days out loud, flipping down the digits as I go, I usually say something like "Tuesday". The borrowers will reply "Tuesday, eh?" And then I'll say "Yup".

That way the borrowers see that I am earning my dough and I can see that they understand their rescission rights. Hope this helps!

Reply by MichiganAl on 1/6/09 9:19pm
Msg #273715

I've got a GREAT idea that just hit me!

I'm going to produce a pocket size abacus for notaries. "Now here's how we calculate your RTC Mr. Borrower. A one...a two...a three!

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/7/09 10:57am
Msg #273731

I have to admit, Alex, I LOL'd when I read that. n/m

Reply by Becca_FL on 1/6/09 5:23pm
Msg #273695

This is the funniest thread I've read in a long time!

Sue and Alex you have had me cracking up!!! And, Huge, do you use a RED pen to make that circle for the borrowers? Too funny! This is as funny as picturing monkeys flying out of Cali's you know what.

Thanks for the laughs, it's been a stressful day.

Reply by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 1/6/09 6:25pm
Msg #273702

Re: This is the funniest thread I've read in a long time!

***And, Huge, do you use a RED pen to make that circle for the borrowers?***

The red pen is reserved for years in which I don't experience an increase in revenue over the preceding years. Thanks to approaches such as supplying rescission calendars to borrowers, I haven't ever had to use it in the 6+ years I've been doing this.

Reply by CaliNotary on 1/6/09 7:23pm
Msg #273711

"Thanks to approaches such as supplying rescission calendars to borrowers, I haven't ever had to use it in the 6+ years I've been doing this."

And supplying rescission calendars to borrowers increases your revenue how, exactly?

Reply by thnotary_NY on 1/7/09 10:55am
Msg #273730

Does the length of this discussion indicate the amount of time on our hands.?

Reply by CaliNotary on 1/7/09 11:58am
Msg #273735

It's the first week of January. Even when business was booming, this was a slow week. So yeah, I doubt too many of us are super busy with signings this week.

Reply by Gary_CA on 1/7/09 2:00pm
Msg #273757

I hate to break the news to you Hugh

but if you've increased revenue every year... especially if you did better in '07 than '06... that means you missed the boat in the fat years buddy.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.