Notary Rotary
Another computer problem
Notary Discussion History

Another computer problem
Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by Erwin Nudel on 1/18/09 8:13pm
Msg #274972

Another computer problem

All of a sudden, all of the files I open are printing letter size and none are printing legal size. Started about a week ago and I can't figure out how to correct it. Some of the files that I am receiving are legal size. I have Windows Vista. Used to automatically indicate 8 1/2 x 11 or 8 1/2 x 14 when I push the print button and before I print OK. This allowed me to change the paper in the printer if necessary. Help me please.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 1/18/09 8:26pm
Msg #274973

Not a geek, but when all else fails.....

I have been known to resolve issues like this by restoring my computer settings to an earlier date, before the date the issue began.

Reply by Erwin Nudel on 1/18/09 8:32pm
Msg #274975

Re: Not a geek, but when all else fails.....

How do I restore to a previous date? I am not a geek either.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 1/18/09 8:48pm
Msg #274979

Re: Not a geek, but when all else fails.....

I go to "start", "accesories", "system tools" then "restore".

Reply by hoosiernotar on 1/18/09 8:32pm
Msg #274974

You might want to check the settings on the default printer. Click Start, control panel, Printers, and then on the printer that you are referring to. Here you will be able to set the default settings (print quality, paper size, etc). Maybe the settings have been changed for some reason.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 1/18/09 8:34pm
Msg #274976

When you're ready to print what does the print screen say. Do you allow the printer to select automatically?

Reply by Erwin Nudel on 1/18/09 8:41pm
Msg #274978

Before it would say 8 1/2 x 11 or 8 1/2 x 14. Now it always says 81/2 x 11 and indicates that it is letter size even when I know it is legal size. How do I get it to automatically change to what the file is? Thanks.

Reply by OR on 1/18/09 9:07pm
Msg #274981

You first click print. You then select the preference button. The next window it will have paper size click it. Then select the paper size. Good luck

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/18/09 9:24pm
Msg #274984

You don't mention your printer brand or your operating system (Windows 2000, XP or Vista) This would help.

Well you could restore it provided you have a restore point that works far enough back and can remember exactly when you began having problems, but you also undo any windows updates you had before that and you may never know why it is happening. Those updates are important as they usually deal with security patches and need to be current.

Before you do any of that, power down both the computer and printer (don't just restart the computer, power it completely down) . Let it set for a half minute or so. Then power the printer on first, wait for it to power completely up then turn your computer back on. Give everything a chance to get running again, then try printing to see if it works right. It does sound like your computer quit recognizing the second tray on your printer, which means an instruction dropped out of the system. Cold starting everything may just put it back.

If it still doesn't work right, then go into your printer properties through control panel and see if your second tray is identified correctly. There should be an accessories tab there somewhere (your second tray is an accessory). If that doesn't work, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling your printer drivers.

As I said, I am not a fan of restore points. They are a quick fix sometimes, but it is kind of like using a plug to repair a flat tire without taking it off and using a patch. It will get you where you are going, but you still need to fix it right as soon as you can.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/18/09 9:34pm
Msg #274986

I missed you had Vista, reading too fast, I guess, but

still would like to know the printer brand.

To get to properties, click on your start icon, control panel, printers. Then right click on your printer and then you will have many choices. Properties is the last choice on the list. Should be self explanatory from there.

To find if you have a restore point, open your menu, choose all programs, accessories, system tools, then system restore. It will recommend a restore point, or you can choose a different restore point. When you do that, it will list restore points up to 5 days old. You will need to check the box asking to show restore points older than 5 days. The question you need to ask yourself here is "Do you feel lucky?", and choose one that is before you began having problems.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 1/19/09 12:32am
Msg #274996

Glenn you are the best

You give so much helpful information!
Thanks

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/18/09 9:25pm
Msg #274985

Erwin, is it in every type of attachment? Meaning, does this happen when your try to print various types of files? if so, it could be a printer issue and you just need to reinstall your printer drivers.

Reply by Erwin Nudel on 1/19/09 9:54am
Msg #275019

I have an HP P1006 LaserJet printer. Tried doing a restore point and could only go back ten days. Tried three times and each time it didn't restore and said try a different day. None of them worked. My printer only has one tray. I need to know the demensions of the attachment in order to put in the right size paper. Before, when I pushed the print button or did File, Print, it would tell me. Now it only says letter size. I didn't have to go to preferences and change the size of the paper to legal in order to print a legal size attachment. I will try the "cold boot" thing and see if that works. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. It is much appreciated. It is only supposed to be 82 degrees here today. We have been having wonderful weather. Just not enough rain.

Reply by Erwin Nudel on 1/19/09 10:20am
Msg #275026

The only files I have received lately that were legal size are PDF files. I tried turning everything off, waiting a minute and then turning the printer on and then the computer on and that didn't correct the problem. When I try reinstalling the printer drivers, I get a message that all of the drivers are already on my computer. The computer is a Compac, made by HP. I am sooo... frustrated.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/19/09 12:06pm
Msg #275045

Did you go into printer properties as I described above?

It is something simple and that is the place to begin. This is one of those times I wish I had the computer in front of me.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 1/19/09 12:51pm
Msg #275052

Erwin...

...try this. Instead of hitting "print", hit "print preview" (you may have to add that option to the toolbar of the program you're working in). Then when you hit "print" in "print preview" it will allow you to change the parameters of the print job itself (change printers, change properties, print multiple copies, etc).

Reply by John K. Wadsworth on 1/19/09 3:39pm
Msg #275065

If I understand you right, you are printing from PDF files. Open the print window and on the left hand side of the print window almost to the bottom you will see 2 boxes. One says auto rotate and center and the other one says choose paper source by paper size. Make sure both are checked and that should solve the problem.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.