Notary Rotary
Appropriate charge
Notary Discussion History

Appropriate charge
Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by ko/FL on 1/19/09 10:09am
Msg #275022

Appropriate charge

What would be a fair fee to charge for a three page document. This is not with a Signing
company. Just people looking to have something notarized. I would go to their house. I quoted $50 and they hung up on me.

Thanks,

Reply by Carole Breckbill on 1/19/09 10:16am
Msg #275024

More often than not, I suggest to people like this to take the document to their bank and have it notarized there. Banks usually do this free. People are usually happy with this suggestion.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 1/19/09 10:16am
Msg #275025

No matter how many pages the document has you can only charge $10 for a notarization and a reasonable travel charge. You must tell the signer what the travel charge is so they can agree to it. Is $40 a reasonable travel charge for the distance you would have had to travel?

Reply by LynnNC on 1/19/09 10:34am
Msg #275030

Sylvia - don't you mean $10 per signature notarized?

If so, and there were two signatures, the travel fee would be $30.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/19/09 10:49am
Msg #275033

FL is per notarial act - not signature... n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 1/19/09 10:49am
Msg #275034

Re: Sylvia - don't you mean $10 per signature notarized?

No, I mean $10 per notarization. Florida does not charge per signature as CA does.

There was a lot of controversy regarding this a few years ago. The NNA Florida handbook stated it was $10 per signature. The NNA were told of their error but disagreed with us.
Finally the SOS clarified it and the NNA then said they disagreed with our SOS! They finally corrected their handbook.
There was a bill a couple of years ago that failed, one of the items would have raised the notary fee to $10 per signature.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/19/09 11:01am
Msg #275036

Sylvia, maybe the NNA was trying to say

$10 per YOUR signature...which would mean per notarial act - they just didn't say it that way. MHO

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 1/19/09 11:18am
Msg #275041

Re: Sylvia, maybe the NNA was trying to say

No, they meant per signers signature not the notary's signature.
There was some discussion on this forum at the time.

Reply by MichiganAl on 1/19/09 11:07am
Msg #275038

Leave it to the NNA to think they know more than the SOS. n/m

Reply by Erwin Nudel on 1/19/09 10:38am
Msg #275031

$50 is what I tell people to go to their house or other local location for a notarization. Many times they indicate that that is too much. I tell them to go to Kinkos and they will do it for $10.00 per signature, but I come to them for the service therefore the higher rate. I did a notarization for a signing service. Their contract said $40.00 plus $10.00 per signature. There were 12 signatures in the "Lawyer package" for two people which took me about 20 minutes to complete and I charged them $180.00. I had to send the check to the SS and they sent me a check for $90.00.

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 1/19/09 9:10pm
Msg #275090

Erwin, could you clarify what you said please

You said- "I did a notarization for a signing service. Their contract said $40.00 plus $10.00 per signature. There were 12 signatures in the "Lawyer package" for two people which took me about 20 minutes to complete and I charged them $180.00. I had to send the check to the SS and they sent me a check for $90.00." I can't quite understand your scenario...you sent a check to the signing service? You paid them?

Reply by Erwin Nudel on 1/20/09 1:44pm
Msg #275145

Re: Erwin, could you clarify what you said please

The signers had called the signing service and made the check out to them. They e mailed a contract to me that indicated the fee (40.00), the number of signatures x 10 and the total. Since the check was made out to the signing service, I had to send them the check along with the contract. They cashed the check and sent me half. Hope this makes it clearer.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 1/19/09 11:25am
Msg #275042

Ko, I'm in Alabama so keep that in mind. My pricing model is set so that my minimum travel fee is $35. Granted if someone is around the corner from me that changes. I do charge a $50 fee for certain areas.

I get a lot of calls from the general public for notary work. It's interesting how I can usually tell as soon as the person starts talking whether I'm the notary for them or not The bargain hunters usually begin the conversation with "What do you charge to notarize my form?" I tell them my minimum travel fee for their area/zip and then I quickly add that if they are able to travel to a bank, or FedEx Office they should consider going there since no travel fee would be accessed.

When my target market calls, they usually start the conversation with, "Hello, I need some information.....". That gives me the opportunity to explain my services and my fees.

Of course, it doesn't always work this way but most of the time it does. Don't feel bad when the bargain hunters hang up or get mad at your fees. Focus on marketing to the ones who aren't as price sensitive.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/19/09 12:29pm
Msg #275047

I do general mobile notary work. My minimum fee is $25. I am in a densely populated area, so I don't have to factor in a lot for travel. Even so, when I get a call I try to determine if their needs can be taken care of at a bank, UPS stores, etc. I am a Notary Public, and not in this to price gouge people. IMO your quote of $50 for a 3 page document was excessive.

Reply by JanetLA on 1/19/09 1:46pm
Msg #275056

Glad we don't have maximum charge in Louisiana

We can charge "reasonable fees" for our services. If I go to a doctors office to notarize one affidavit for medical records, my minimum fee is $50.00. If someone comes to me, my fee is not less than $10 per notarization. Of course, we are the exception as usual...

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/19/09 2:45pm
Msg #275060

This may not apply to everyone as some live distances from town, but within 5 minutes of my house is a Starbucks and McDonald's. I tell callers there's no charge for travel if we meet at one of those places. If they prefer I go to them, then I charge a travel fee based in the distance. I get a lot of repeat business by giving people this option. Anyway, it's better meeting in a public place - especially when it's later in the evening.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/19/09 3:27pm
Msg #275064

I do the same as LKT/CA but I do charge a minimal $10 travel fee to go to my nearby Starbucks - I'm not willing to go there only for the $5.00 notary fee I may charge per notarial act here in VA. I do get quite a few takers and it adds up nicely as pocket money.

Reply by davidK/CA on 1/19/09 4:16pm
Msg #275070

It's $10.00 per signature in CA so the travel charge varies based on time of day and distance.

If my fee is too high I tell the signor that they can go during REGULAR business hours only (usually excluding lunch) to their local pack and ship store. Then they usually change their mind and they accept my fee as proper and logical and convenient.

Most, if not all banks in CA, will not offer drop-in public notary services unless the document itself is bank generated, and even then they might call me to do the notarization at their offices. I think most financial institutions have gotten away from even having a Notary Public-employee on staff because they don't want the liability in this day and age of identity theft.

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 1/19/09 9:09pm
Msg #275089

I also do exactly as LKT- many will pay, some won't pay a travel fee, I get a lot of repeat business fron the general public.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.