Area bank official expects 'avalanche' of foreclosures
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 1/4/09 9:29am
Msg #273483

By Fred Hiers Staff writer
Published: Sunday, January 4, 2009 at 6:50 a.m.

OCALA - Homeowners who were unable to keep up with their mortgage payments got a break during the holidays when banks temporarily halted foreclosures proceedings on thousands of homes throughout Florida.

But the holidays are over, and experts predict an avalanche of foreclosures as banks gear up again to take back homes from delinquent mortgage-holders.

Financial and mortgage experts say a 9 percent dip in Florida's foreclosure rate in November, following two months of increases, shouldn't be seen as a sign that the housing market is stabilizing.

Instead, many analysts predict the foreclosure problem for Florida, which has the second highest number of foreclosures in the nation, will only get worse and Marion County will likely be no exception.

"I think it's going to be an avalanche (of foreclosures) in the future," predicted Tim New, regional loan manager for Peoples First Community Bank, which has a mortgage office in Gainesville.

"The bank bailout with no strings attached has been a real hoax," he said. "(Interest rates) have come down, but it's not helping."

The economic stresses on families is becoming so great, New said, they are starting to no longer care about their credit rating. And that could be a tipping point in which property owners stop trying to hold on to what they have.

"There are going to be so many people with ruined credit, people won't care anymore," he said. "Credit isn't important anymore."

"People are saying, ‘I'll just give it back to the bank. I don't care,'?" New warned. "There are people that don't want to even deal with it."

And the most prevalent are people that bought homes as investments, thinking they could flip them for easy profits, he said.

In early December, Florida mortgage lenders agreed to voluntarily halt new foreclosures against homeowners for 45 days.

The banks' move to freeze foreclosures during holidays came after Gov. Charlie Crist said he was considering an executive order to mandate that banks temporarily stop foreclosing.

But that voluntary freeze on foreclosures will end mid-January.

Meanwhile, even with the 9 percent decline in Florida foreclosures in November, the data looks gloomy.

One in every 173 Florida homes was in foreclosure during that month, second only to California, according to a RealtyTrac U.S. Foreclosure Market Report.

RealtyTrac publishes a database of foreclosure and bank-owned properties and reports on foreclosure trends.

The difficulty in trying to solve the growing foreclosure problem is that there isn't a single solution, New said.

New said there needs to be a government program to suspend foreclosures for people who are in a position to still make some kind of payments on their homes and then compensate the banks for their loss.

"But the real problem is lack of jobs .?.?. and I don't know how you're going to fix that," New said.

And as long as people keep losing their jobs in Florida, attempts at curbing foreclosures are just temporary solutions at best.

"What do I do with someone who has lost their job, their wife has lost her job and they're behind on their electric bill?" New said.

The November dip in Florida's foreclosures was likely due to an increase in home sales because owners had slashed their asking prices, said James J. Saccacio, chief executive officer of RealtyTrac.

That's seen in a recent study by Zillow.com, which reported that the average value, or sales price, of Ocala homes fell 12.3 percent from a year ago. Worse yet, nearly 60 percent of Ocala homes purchased in 2006 are worth less in today's market than their owners paid for them.

Neighboring Gainesville didn't fare much better.

Home values were down 7.5 percent from the same time one year ago and nearly 40 percent of Gainesville homes that were purchased in 2006 are worth less in today's market than their owners paid for them.

"It will likely take years to move the large inventory of unsold homes throughout the state," Saccacio said. "Florida also faces a rapidly rising unemployment rate that is now above the national average."

And few counties, if any, are being spared Florida's unemployment rise.

Florida's unemployment rate was 7.3 percent in November, according to the U.S. Department of Labor, and is expected to be near 8 percent in December. At 8.9 percent, Marion County's October unemployment rate already topped that. It was the highest for the county since 1992.

Alachua County's unemployment rate was 4.6 percent, up from 3.2 percent in January 2008, and the highest for that county since 1992.

Statewide, Florida's unemployment rate is one of the worst in the nation, with nearly 680,000 unemployed workers in November, up about 50 percent since January 2008 . The nation's leader in unemployment, California, had about 1.6 million unemployed, also about 50 percent more than in January 2008.

In addition, delinquencies on loans not yet in the foreclosure process jumped to nearly 7 percent in the third quarter of this year, a record high, according to a Mortgage Bankers Association report released last month. And many of those will eventually join the foreclosure rolls.

Also, more than 50 percent of loans modified in 2008 were delinquent again within six months, according to a joint report by two federal bank regulators, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Office of Thrift Supervision.

All of this points to foreclosure trends continuing to rise sharply after the new year, industry analysts say.

Lori Catto, vice president of mortgage loans at Independent National Bank, said the economic crisis is painting homeowners and their banks into a financial corner.

"And I think the economy still isn't stabilized," she said, adding the foreclosure problem will continue to fester, at least for the short term.

Independent National Bank is locally owned and has three of its five branches in Ocala.

Catto agrees that the root of the problem is the area's unemployment.

"As long as that continues, how are they going to make ends meet if they don't have a job?" Catto said.

The bank's senior vice president, Tom Adair, said people shouldn't expect to see a change as long as growing unemployment persists.

And when people suffer through long periods of economic stress, they start giving up, Adair said, and put issues like their credit rating on the back burner. "They're not being mean. I think they're in a survival mode."

Reply by MistarellaFL on 1/4/09 9:46am
Msg #273485

the real problem is lack of jobs

The writer hit the nail on the head. There is such a lack of work here, even during high season.
(Which is right now, in my neck of the woods).
Even jobs that many consider the lowliest of all work (hotel maids, busboys, etc) are being scooped up by educated, middle-class people who would have never considered that kind of a job before.
I am also meeting many people who are fortunate to have family "up north", and are moving their whole families in with theri other families in other areas of the country.
I have never seen anything like this before, but my Grandmother says this is exactly what she saw happen in the great depression.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/4/09 9:48am
Msg #273488

This area too, Mist...

Classifieds (specifically help wanted) ads used to be a page and a half - now they're a column and a half on a good day!!!

Reply by MistarellaFL on 1/4/09 9:59am
Msg #273490

Re: This area too, Mist...

Yep, Linda.
Last Sunday there were only 14 help wanted ads in the Sun newspaper, which covers
just south of Sarasota to Punta Gorda, west to Arcadia.
A very large area for those advertised 14 open positions.
Now I am sure there are some who never advertise jobs, but using that as a gauge, shows
how little work there is anymore.

Reply by John_NorCal on 1/4/09 10:12am
Msg #273492

Speaking of ads......

When we had that deep recession in the 90's an analyst was quoted as saying, "If you want to measure the health of the economy, look at the number of want ads in the newspaper." I guess we're all seeing the now.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 1/4/09 11:35am
Msg #273507

Newspaper, what's that?

Back in the 90's maybe so, but not so much now. You may also want to look for the newspaper classified section, I think you find most of it now online under some lad name Craig.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/4/09 11:39am
Msg #273508

Philip, it's the thing I'm going to be canceling

on renewal since it's only 20-25 pages long anyway (and that's the Sunday edition!!) - half the stuff I read in the morning I've already read online anyway.

Trouble is, it's tough giving up my "paper and coffee" routine but I'm gonna try...Smile

Reply by MistarellaFL on 1/4/09 9:46am
Msg #273486

the real problem is lack of jobs

The writer hit the nail on the head. There is such a lack of work here, even during high season.
(Which is right now, in my neck of the woods).
Even jobs that many consider the lowliest of all work (hotel maids, busboys, etc) are being scooped up by educated, middle-class people who would have never considered that kind of a job before.
I am also meeting many people who are fortunate to have family "up north", and are moving their whole families in with theri other families in other areas of the country.
I have never seen anything like this before, but my Grandmother says this is exactly what she saw happen in the great depression.

Reply by Bev/NC on 1/4/09 11:32am
Msg #273505

Re: the real problem is lack of jobs

I also heard on a special report, this is no where over. He stated that this will take years to get out of and then in 2010/2011 the ones that purchased ARM's this past year it will affect them then. He also stated the commerical loans haven't started hitting us yet. Doesn't look to good. Thank goodness I have a husband that supports us. However, he's a trucker and his business is off too. He is going to go back to Iraq and work. I do hope the best to you all.

Reply by 101livescan on 1/4/09 11:56am
Msg #273509

Re: the real problem is lack of jobs

These bad loans were still being underwritten as late as December 2007 before the kobosh was finally put on them. It took six months to snuff them out, following the bank economists calling the lenders on the carpet for making these LIAR LOANS aka NINJA loans in June/July 2007. That means these loans are already in jeopardy as of last month and will begin to default this month and ensuing months.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.