Notary Rotary
Backdating?
Notary Discussion History

Backdating?
Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by Roger Proctor Sr on 1/26/09 9:51pm
Msg #275655

Backdating?

When is it ok to backdate? To me it is never ok but tonight I guess because I refused to backdate I lost my first job, not only did I lose it but the scheduler hung up on me as if to say how dare you refuse our request to break the law? I had a job scheduled for six, late docs (received at 8:30) borrower had to go to work so they took it upon themselves to call lender (about 6:30) and reschedule for tomorrow. I have no problem with that only that nobody bothered to let me know and then the signing agency wants me to use today's date and have docs signed tomorrow. Sorry no can do, so she hangs up on me and about 1/2 hour later we get a call from same signing service asking for my wife (not knowing that she is my wife, she is also a notary) by name when I told her my wife can't come to the phone and introduced myself and ask if I can help her she says wrong number and hangs up on me again. Now I know she is shopping for a notary who she can talk into backdating these docs and I hope and pray it isn't anybody I know because I wouldn't want them to soil their reputation just to get a closing. Thank y'all for letting me vent.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/26/09 9:56pm
Msg #275659

Never, Never, Never. You are 100% correct.

It's better you lose a signing than lose your commission.

If I had a dollar for every time I was hung up on for that reason .... Season tickets to the Dodgers ......

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/26/09 10:51pm
Msg #275664

I got a call today from a TC that I did a job for earlier in the month. This is a TC that many of you have worked for and think is one of the best. The job was completed, loan has funded, and I received payment last week.

TC calls me and says that some of the docs had been printed with the wrong date (lender printed), and would need to be resigned. They would pay me to go back out and have them signed again. They didn't mention anything about dates. So I said, "Do any of these docs need to be notarized?" He said yes. So I said that I wouldn't be able to backdate anything, and the guy said, "Oh, OK. Well, thanks anyway."

I hadn't deleted the docs from my e-mail yet, so when I got home I looked them up. All the dates were correct. They were all for the date we signed. I don't get it.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/26/09 11:42pm
Msg #275665

Never, ever, ever is it okay to backdate. I've never heard one good reason/excuse.

You did the right thing, Roger. Far better to lose a job then your commission.

Reply by Gary_CA on 1/26/09 11:50pm
Msg #275667

I only notarize one day of the week.

Today.

I don't notarize tomorrow and I don't notarize yesterday.

Reply by rengel/CA on 1/27/09 12:22am
Msg #275672

Be Nancy Reagan.....Just say NO!!!!!!!! n/m

Reply by Deborah Lewellen on 1/27/09 7:48am
Msg #275680

Re: Be Nancy Reagan.....Just say NO!!!!!!!!

I had a call from a good title company paying me my full fee and she wanted me to backdate too, I said no I can't do that, her hubby works there too and I called him back and said I couldn't do that that was illegal and I am not willing to risk losing everything I've worked so hard for in order to accomodate them. They need to get a new pkg. from the lender, I waited for 3-4 hrs. as they said they were going to get me new docs, of course they found someone else to do it. The notaries that do this are fools. One day you're gonna get burned and regret it.

Reply by Roger Proctor Sr on 1/27/09 8:36am
Msg #275682

Re: Be Nancy Reagan.....Just say NO!!!!!!!!

What bothers me the most is that she hung up on me after sweet talking me for 3-4 hours and assuring me that they will get the docs corrected and they still wanted me to do the closing. Veryyyyyyyy Un-Professional

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/27/09 10:59am
Msg #275696

It's an issue of consideration, or lack of it

So many times the lenders and TC's are just plain not considerate of our time. They expect us to go farther for no extra fee. They expect us to print e-docs for no profit or consideration of the time it takes to print and monitor the printing (especially with multiple e-mails and attachments!) They expect us to hang on for hours for late docs and such. I'm glad that things seem to be getting busier for many of us, but I'm not happy about the return to docs that arrive well after the appointment time and requests to backdate so they don't have to redraw.

Last night I got home at 11:30 PM after my closing that had late e-docs. I would not have accepted the job had I been aware of what time the docs would actually be ready. Some people don't mind working that late, but I have to get up early in the morning and I don't care to work that late at night.

Reply by janCA on 1/27/09 11:49am
Msg #275700

Roger: Out the SS.

This is illegal and this Signing Service just doesn't seem to realize the repercussions not only for the notary that would do this, but also for them. If you're a notary in the State of California and you falsify an acknowledgement, ergo, backdate, you not only can be suspended or your commission revoked, you also can be fined to the tune of $10,000. Also, you can be charged with forgery or perjury. And, this doesn't leave the SS off the hook, they are soliciting the notary to perform an illegal action, that can result in a misdemeanor. Many SS's have no clue of notary law and shouldn't even be in the business.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.