Notary Rotary
Earn income as a Test Proctor...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by rolomia on 1/25/09 1:50am
Msg #275522

You can earn legitimate income as a test proctor. Just visit sites like http://www.testproctor.com/ and http://www.testproctors.com/. Just do a search for the search phrase "test proctor" (include the quotation marks). Add your own keywords. Lots of websites mention test proctor as a rewarding profession, some are devoted to the topic.

But, whatever you do, I wouldn't recommend the NNA as a source of info. on this potentially lucrative opportunity. As many of you have come to realize, the NNA cannot be trusted and has lost credibility with it's members.

To find out what I mean, just copy & paste the following link into your web browser:

http://testproctors.com/index.cfm/do/main.about

Then, scroll about halfway down the page that appears, until you see the following title in bold type: "Who are the test proctors in TestProctors.com" and read the paragraph that follows. It mentions that the owners of said website have partnered with the National Notary Association to enroll notary publics in the TestProctor.com system.

Yet, I've never heard any such news item from the NNA. And, I've been an active member for 3 years. Obviously, the NNA won't bring it to their member's attention until they can exploit this website and the test proctor profession for their own financial benefit, just like they did last year when they touted the Trusted Enrollment Agent (TEA) program as a reason for me to renew my NNA membership.

Of course, nothing ever came of that program. The NNA even hired trolls to post fake messages of supposed TEA assignments on various notary forums, including this one. These obviously-fake messages are even more proof that the NNA cannot be trusted. Needless to say, I won't be renewing my NNA membership this year.

Good luck in your endevors. And, please keep us posted with news of your success. Thanks!

Reply by Michelle/AL on 1/25/09 8:20am
Msg #275526

Rolomia, how has this venture worked out for you. Are you a notary who has pursued this, or is this your company? Are most of the test takers kids, college students or adult learners? Are potential Proctors interviewed or required to provide references? I did not see this kind of information on the website.

Reply by rolomia on 1/25/09 2:16pm
Msg #275546

Michelle,

I have conducted extensive research on this pseudo-professional occupation and have uncovered some amazing details. The field is wide-open and quite lucrative. Mostly, professional practice companies and institutions of higher education comprise over 75% of your potentail audience. The rest are private career schools and industry trade associations. However, as I mentioned in my first post, the information is available if you do the research. However, as I invest most of my free time and all of my spare revenue into my marketing efforts, I don't recommend this profession to just anybody. Most notaries are looking for easy revenue. Being a test proctor requires constant study, administerial compliance, professional certification and the like. You don't need experience. But, you must be willing to learn the material. Have you searched the Internet (like I did) for the available information and corresponding opportunities? Just as a test proctor cannot give the answers to the students, I cannot give you all the answers, either. The research is a necessary part of this field. There are no short cuts. You don't need experience to enter this field. However, when I first got started, I posted ads on college bulletin boards, I gave my info. to the colege career centers and to the Director's of Education at local colleges & universities, etc. Mainly, though, I volunteered my services for free, to GET the experience you inquire about. Experience is less important than character, ethics, trustworthiness, honesty, etc. Also, it helps to have a mentor. In my case, I searched for a local test proctor, took him to lunch (my treat) in order to ask him questions about this profession. And, I sat in his "sessions" so that he could take breaks, as needed, without stopping the test. You have to first get approved, though. Eventually, he started giving me assignments that he didn't want (they were too far away or didn't pay enough for his time, etc). He doesn't always charge, either. He sometimes volunteers at the local union hall, when they need a test proctor (only because he was in their union). However, when he does volunteer his time, he gets community acknowledgement from the organization that he volunteers for, and sometimes also from the Mayor and city aldermen and the newspaper, etc. Needless to say, he stays busy. As I'm relatively new to this field, I'm still learning. And, I'm also waiting for the next opportunity to get certified. Some associations only administer their tests once a year. Be patient. Pay your dues. Eventually, you'll be so busy, you won't have time to visit this forum. As you can tell, I'm not that busy, YET! But, I will be. The gentleman that I assist won't divulge his earnings to me. But, he is a retired school teacher (not a professor, though). I'm guessing that he probably earns $100 per weekend (Saturdays are predominantly when this work is available). The rest of his time he works as a part-time substitue teacher. But,he only works in the afternoons on weekdays. He's talking about letting me handle the morning portion of his test proctoring duties on Saturday mornings. We're waiting to hear from the campus deans at the local colleges if this is okay. He (and, sometimes me) visit a different campus, each Saturday. I hope this gives you some idea of what the profession is like. As long as you don't trust the NNA for the info., your info. should be accurate. No offense intended to any NNA trolls on this forum...LOL (yeah, right!).

Reply by Cari on 1/26/09 5:48am
Msg #275575

I've actually done this....for a company that

allows certain drivers to take a proctored exam instead of going to court. I have an extra computer that I let them use to take the exam, or they can bring a laptop and I let them use my internet connection if they don't have a card, and then afterwards, assuming they pass the test, they sign attesting to the fact that they took the exam, I then notarize the exam attesting that I've examined their ID, fax it to the company, and voila, extra few bucks in my pocket...so far so good...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.