Notary Rotary
Enclosing business cards with return docs
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by Marian_in_CA on 1/27/09 1:13pm
Msg #275718

Someone told me today that she always sends her business cards with her return docs in case the TC needs to contact them. It seems like a good idea, but if you were hired by SS, couldn't that look like you were trying to solicit direct business?

I always include a quick thank you note (really quick) written on a copy of the cover sheet or instructions that came from the TC as sent to the SS.

I have one going back today, for example, to Stewart in Texas...and they had cover sheet on the docs, directed to the SS that hired me, so I wrote my note on that. I've never actually put my card in a package. I always leave one with the borrower, of course.

Obviously, we'd all like direct business, but soliciting on a package that went through a service does seem hinky, even if it isn't your intent.

So, I'm wondering, what do you guys do? I've read it suggested elsewhere that some notaries keep the contact information and follow-up later with a separate thank you note direct to the TC saying something like, "I recently helped close a loan for one of your clients...." etc. and then putting the business card in that. I'm not even sold on doing that... but, we're all individual businesses needing to drum up work. I f we don't market ourselves, we don't make money.

What do you think?

Reply by sue_pa on 1/27/09 1:23pm
Msg #275719

...I always leave one with the borrower, of course....

I never, ever leave one with the borrower, of course. (smiley needed here)

... different ways of doing things

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/27/09 1:40pm
Msg #275722

Yes.... but do you put them in return docs that came through a SS?

I never have, and I was amazed to hear this guy does. Wouldn't the SS get awfully upset if the TC told them the notary was soliciting because they sent a card with the package? I mean, even it it wasn't the intent for including the card... it still has that appearance.

Reply by MichiganAl on 1/27/09 7:30pm
Msg #275769

I'm with you Sue. I never leave a card with the borrower.

I tried that when I first started, but all it did was generate unnecessary calls. We didn't get our check yet, did our taxes get paid yet, we want our appraisal, etc., etc., etc. Not worth it.

If they ask, I'll give them a card but I make it clear that I'm not the person to call if they have further issues.

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/27/09 1:42pm
Msg #275724

<<<Someone told me today that she always sends her business cards with her return docs in case the TC needs to contact them. It seems like a good idea, but if you were hired by SS, couldn't that look like you were trying to solicit direct business?>>>

Leaving your business card could mean you'd like the TC to remember you and specifically request you through the SS (assuming the job was done well).

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/27/09 1:46pm
Msg #275725

Lisa, that's what I think it would mean, too.

I'm really interested in who actually DOES this vs not doing it. A simple act can be read so many different ways by different people. I'd think you'd have to write a very specific note on the card so it is isn't misinterpreted.

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/27/09 2:09pm
Msg #275730

Yes, I include business cards with packages I return - 3 or 4. And I always leave a business card with the client so they can call me for general notary work. Of all the signings I've done, only one company expressly directed me NOT to leave a business card.

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/27/09 1:53pm
Msg #275726

I've been doing it for 15 years. A business card is just a business card. If all it took to 'steal' business was a card--I'd have stopped my listing on this and other sites years ago. My dentist gives me a business card with my next appointment on the back. Is he advertising? I don't think so--he's already my dentist. If any SS gets bent by this, they need to grow up.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/27/09 1:55pm
Msg #275727

This is how I handle the business card situation. I always give one to the borrowers to let them know who I am & my credentials. I do not enclose one with return packages, especially on assignments contracted by an ss. With some companies, we sign a "non-compete" agreement in the Independent Contractor Agreement. They definitely don't want you to enclose a card, because it can be construed as "soliticing" business. I have also seen instructions from tc's, etc., that say specifically not to enclose anything with the package, i.e., invoices, business cards, etc. IMO they have enough to do & don't want extra "junk" in there. There are other ways to solicit business, if that is the objective. Just my take on "business card etiquette".

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/27/09 2:12pm
Msg #275731

I put docs in a file folder, borrower's docs in a file folder, and each has a business card stapled to the outside...

Reply by CF on 1/27/09 2:48pm
Msg #275733

I always put my business cards in the package that is sent back to the TC. I, mostly, work for TC's....but even when a SS has hired me- I still put a card in the package- no matter who it is sent back to. Additionally, I include other marketing materials.

Reply by Bill Paul on 1/27/09 3:13pm
Msg #275737

In the world of sales professionals the business card is often referred to as the "mini bill board". In my personal opinion it seems unappropriate to send your advertising to the title company that contracted with the signing company that hired you. To keep "pumping the handle", as Ziggler puts it, I always thank the signing company when the check arrives. I send a reply to the original order confirmation. I also go through once a month and contact those signing companies that I haven't heard from for 45 days. Just a quick "It was good working with you hope we can do it again soon."

Reply by Roger_OH on 1/27/09 3:56pm
Msg #275747

I'll often return a card with a package so I can be readily contacted with any questions from the TC, rather than the tedious and time-consuming efforts of trying to communicate thru the 3rd party SS.

I always leave a card with borrowers for future reference, should they have need of general mobile notary services (and many of them do call!).

Reply by OR on 1/27/09 3:57pm
Msg #275748

Re: Enclosing business cards with return docs..I always

I would never sent a business card.

I use a cover letter that has all my contact information in it. I want the person who is closing the loan to have a way to contact me for any reason. I have added some lines so I can write a report (note) on it the closer's. It matches exactly the one that I send back to the hiring party. It has came in handy for the borrowers to use also. I have had them jot notes on them when we have not been able to contact any one at the table and they had questions.
.....just my way.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/27/09 4:39pm
Msg #275755

Re: Enclosing business cards with return docs..I always

JoAnn, I think I like your approach. A cover letter gives them your contact information and at the same time is a "report" of the signing, so your intentions are clear. There are so many different ways of doing it and I find everyone's answers and perceptions of it intriguing.

Reply by JulieD/KS on 1/27/09 4:20pm
Msg #275752

I always do. I am not trying to solicit their business nor am I trying to go behind the back of the SS that hired me. If an SS is treating me right, I will be a loyal contractor.

But, enclosing a card doesn't mean I am trying to solicit business. I am just letting the title company know how to get in touch with me if they have questions. I am often contacted directly by Title and this in no way means they are soliciting me directly.

An SS or two has it in their paperwork not to enclose my business card, but I do it anyway. I think it's a professional thing to do.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 1/27/09 4:44pm
Msg #275757

IMHO the TC already has your contact info (or should have). When I contract with a signing agent for a signing I give the signing agent's contact info to the TC in case they need to contact them.
So, it really shouldn't matter to a SS whether you enclose a business card or not in the package going back to the TC.

Reply by GA/Atty on 1/27/09 5:57pm
Msg #275760

I think it is a good practice to send one with the docs. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.