Notary Rotary
Filing Bond question
Notary Discussion History

Filing Bond question
Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by jjill_CA on 1/12/09 12:17pm
Msg #274242

Filing Bond question

Oh dang! I got my new commmission (renewing) and instead of driving the 2 HOURS to my county clerk, I thought I'd file my mail. So I had a notary friend swear me in and I sent it off. Only problem is that he isn't a notary in MY county (we live in the bounies and he is just on the other side of the county line---his county is also 2 hours the other direction, so neither one of us thought of that!).

Now, can I just have another notary swear me in, or will I have to contact the SofS to get new bond forms? Guess I'll be giving them a call. DOH!

Reply by DellaCa on 1/12/09 12:38pm
Msg #274246

Unless I am misunderstanding jjill you are renewing and do not know in California you can notarize in the entire state? Your friend does not have to live in your county.I may have read your post wrong.

Reply by jjill_CA on 1/12/09 12:58pm
Msg #274249

In order to file your bond by mail, you have to have a notary FROM YOUR COUNTY do your oath of office!
I spoke with the SofS and they faxed me new bond forms...I am now getting ready to drive the 2 hours to my county seat. Oh well...live and learn!

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/12/09 1:03pm
Msg #274252

You mean oath of office forms?

Reply by DellaCa on 1/13/09 12:00pm
Msg #274341

I stand corrected Thank you
Good to know

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/12/09 1:02pm
Msg #274251

Actually, for the purposes of taking your oath and filing your bond, if done by mail, it can only be done by a notary in the same county. The instructions on the form and the letter that came with commission are pretty clear about that.

I pulled out the letter I got and it reads, "If you choose to file by mail take BOTH oath of office forms to another notary in Los Angeles County." Since I'm in LA county, I assume that those in other counties will get a county specific sentence, too.

This makes sense, actually, because the Clerk will want to verify the credentials of the notary... and they can only really do that with another notary in the same county.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.