Notary Rotary
For an attorney! Land Am O S
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by RickinVA on 1/8/09 2:31pm
Msg #273867

Just got a notice of Bankruptcy on LandAm. The notice said filed on Nov 28, but I was hired
Dec 20. To me, that sounds like fraud. Any insights? (I read the previous threads)

Rick

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/8/09 5:10pm
Msg #273889

That DOES sound like a lawsuit to me, too. n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 1/8/09 11:22pm
Msg #273936

Check the other thread that is recent. Some say LandAm OS was not part of the bankruptcy.
You might want to get your facts in order before calling an attorney.

Reply by Les_CO on 1/9/09 8:15am
Msg #273958

Land America’s recent “bankruptcy” was part and parcel of their purchase by Fidelity National Finance. They may not have had time to change their name. Did you get paid for the signing? Some of the companies here in CO that were acquired by Fidelity are still using ‘old’ paperwork

Reply by Henry Davidson on 1/9/09 9:56am
Msg #273967

They were NOT bought by Fidelity....that is why they filed BK... and they only filed for the parent and certain sub's...not all.

Reply by SOUTHERN CLOSING SERVICES on 1/9/09 10:18am
Msg #273968

I too was hired to do a closing on 12/23/08 by Land America One Stop and on 1/7/09 I also rec'd a bk notice saying Land America Financial Group had filed a chpt 11 bk for reorganization. The notice said not to file a claim and that my fee was dischargeable under th e bk in total or part. If you look up LAOS under signing central you will see several notaries who had checks from Land America bounce in Dec. Guess I'm lucky not to have to pay nsf return fees at my bank for a bounced check...

Reply by Les_CO on 1/9/09 10:41am
Msg #273969

on Dec 22 2008 FNF (Fidility National Financial) acquired LandAmerica Financial Group, and some others. This was what I was referencing. If this is not Land Am O S I apologise.

Reply by Les_CO on 1/9/09 10:49am
Msg #273970

Re: For an attorney! Land Am O S/Henry

"Jacksonville, Fla. -- (December 22, 2008) -- Fidelity National Financial, Inc. (NYSE:FNF) today announced the closing of the acquisition of LandAmerica Financial Group, Inc.'s two principal title insurance underwriters, Commonwealth Land Title Insurance Company ("Commonwealth"Wink and Lawyers Title Insurance Corporation ("Lawyers"Wink, as well as United Capital Title Insurance Company ("United"Wink."

Reply by Les_CO on 1/9/09 10:54am
Msg #273971

Sorry about the smiley faces! I just copied/pasted a portion of ther press release????

Reply by MikeC/NY on 1/9/09 3:55pm
Msg #274007

"Sorry about the smiley faces! I just copied/pasted a portion of ther press release????"

You have to put a space between the quote mark and the closing parenthesis, otherwise you get the smiley...

Reply by PAW on 1/9/09 11:55am
Msg #273975

Reorganization under bankruptcy ...

... doesn't mean they have gone out of business. Many companies go through a reorganization and remain in business under their original name and continue doing business while the bankruptcy is processed.

For more information on Chapter 11 Reorganizations, see:
http://www.uscourts.gov/bankruptcycourts/bankruptcybasics/chapter11.html

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.