Notary Rotary
Has anyone ever had their printer print fine one second and
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by NC_Notary on 1/19/09 4:54pm
Msg #275072

then immediately after struggle to even spool. I always blamed slow printing on the way the documents were scanned in the system but there must be something else to blame.

I just finished printing one set of documents which printed perfectly fine and fast and then I went to print the borrowers set and now my printer is taking forever to spool. Then when it starts printing the first couple of pages prints fine and then all of a sudden it is printing mega large fonts/garbage. It is actually quicker if I print one page at a time. I have shut my printer off and cancelled the job in the spool and even reloaded the documents but this has not corrected the problem. Most days the printer works fine but then there are times where this problem happens. I even opened an email with other loan documents and they are printing fine but if I go back to this other file, totally different printer.

Anyone else experience this craziness; I have an HP LaserJet P2015.

TIA

Reply by Linda Juenger on 1/19/09 5:39pm
Msg #275075

I have no idea if this is the problem, but I never print more than 40 pages at a time. I never just hit print and let it run. The break in between seems to work very well for me. I have it down to a science. 1-40 41-80 81-to the end. Try and see if that helps any.
I know its weird to have one pkg print fine and then the 2nd set to do that, but try giving it a break in between a litte and see if it helps.

Reply by NC_Notary on 1/19/09 5:56pm
Msg #275077

I wish that would help but even trying to print as little as 5 pages at a time sometimes the spooling is taking a lot longer than it should. It is definately very puzzling and frustrating. I am almost wondering if it might be this printer. The first HP LaserJet P2015 I had died after being less than 2 years old and it also periodically would do this screwy thing also. But for all I know maybe it is a software problem and my poor printer is getting blamed....

Reply by Julie/IL on 1/19/09 6:00pm
Msg #275078

I haven't had that particular problem happen, but

something usually happens when I'm in a rush. What I usually will do when the docs are taking too long is, print the main pkg and then I use the copier to copy bwrs pkg. I have also tried "breaking" up the pkg into smaller sections. Good luck!

Reply by doglover/CA on 1/20/09 2:50pm
Msg #275155

Re: I haven't had that particular problem happen, but

I've done that too. One time I had a signing that was to take place in the borrower's business office,with 3 hours notice, so I printed out one set of documents, went to the signing which was about an hour's drive away, then he had a flunky make a borrower's copy set for him on his office copier.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 1/19/09 7:00pm
Msg #275083

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you defragged your hard drive and cleared out the temporary files on your computer?

Reply by NC_Notary on 1/19/09 8:21pm
Msg #275085

It has been several months since I did a drefrag on my hard drive. How often should that be done? This past weekend I used ATF Cleaner and I believe that cleared out all my temporary files.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/19/09 8:50pm
Msg #275088

How much RAM does your computer have?

This is a symptom of not enough RAM or it getting filled up with memory resident programs. Windows uses RAM to spool. I run two printers at a time, one prints the lender's copies and one prints the BO's copies. I have 4 gigs of ram, have printed both copies of some very large packages at virtually the same time without any issue. I don't really have premium processor, either. I use an AMD 64, single core 2.2gig clock speed.

I defrag four or five times a year. But be sure you have all the most recent updates for your computer and scan it at least a couple of times per week for spyware (Spybot) and the same for your virus scan. Also, if you let your computer sleep or hibernate, the RAM tends to fill up with junk. If you keep it running 24/7 and only put it to sleep or hibernate it, then do a power down re-start it at least a couple of times per week also. That is the only way to clean out the ram.

Reply by NC_Notary on 1/19/09 9:33pm
Msg #275091

System info shows 2.79 GHz, 256MB of RAM

I did also restart my computer over the weekend.... Please let me know what the recommended RAM should be.

TIA

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/19/09 10:19pm
Msg #275094

Re: System info shows 2.79 GHz, 256MB of RAM

The recommended RAM for you computer depends on what operating system you are using, what kind of computer you are using (laptop or desktop), how many slots you have open, your BIOS and what you plan on doing. But in my opinion, you need more RAM.

It's been a 10 years since I ran that little ram. Most new systems sold today begin at 1GB (four times what you are running) Ram is cheap. That would be a minimum amount of RAM for a stripped down version of Windows XP. Vista requires 1 GB to run properly. Yes, more ram on the printer would help the print job, but why not add as much ram as you can to the computer. And printer ram is more expensive. It will help your computer run so much faster on everything you do. I personally only have 8MB on my printer as I spool everything through the computer RAM. If you have a computer geek, in the family or know of a computer shop that you can trust, get them to help you if you are not sure how many slots you have open or just how much ram your computer will take. You probably don't need as much as I have (4GB) but if you can do 1GB, I would do that. If you can do 2, then all the better. Any more than that, you probably don't need. You will think you bought a new computer and it should run you less than $100 for that much ram. crucial.com has a scanning tool that will identify your ram and tell you what kind and how much you can put in. Their prices are a little high, though.

Reply by Calnotary on 1/19/09 11:14pm
Msg #275096

Re: System info shows 2.79 GHz, 256MB of RAM

If he/she has 256mb of ram I am almost sure that that machine won't be able to take more than 1G or ram.

My pc it's more than 3 years old and I have the maximum that it can take(2G)with my processor(3.0Ghz)

This question is for your Glenn, do you think if I purchase more ram that what my pc can use the rest of ram could be used for the printer at the time of printing?

There are a few websites where you can go and they will scan your pc online and tell you what kind of ram and how much your system will take.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/20/09 12:23pm
Msg #275137

2gig should be plenty, however ...

Computers can take more and more memory than they came with from the factory because the chips are larger. Originally my daughers laptop (2004 model Sony) came with 500MB (two 256 MB chips). A couple of months ago, she was having problems running some graphic programs during her college study, and wanted a new computer. The processor is a 1.6GB Centrino which I thought should be fast enough, so I too a shot in the dark and ordered 2-- 1GB chips (not manufactured at the time the computer was built) I booted the thing up, the BIOS recognized the 2GB and worked fine. In fact, her computer is now faster than many in her class that have newer laptops.

When your computer does not have enough memory, then Windows will use the "paging file" on the hard drive as virtual memory. This will slow your computer down to a crawl as it causes a bottleneck for data to flow through. The way you can tell if this is happening is ask yourself while printing "Does my hard drive seem to be running a lot more than normal?" If you set the printer properties to spool and also check the box that says start printing immediately, then it will use your computer memory until it fills up, then utilize the paging file ....

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/19/09 9:55pm
Msg #275092

Would more printer memory help...

I'm fairly certain more computer memory is in order...I think more printer memory may help too depending on how much you already have.

Reply by MichiganAl on 1/20/09 12:22am
Msg #275100

My thoughts exactly

Nothing has a greater impact on a computer's performance than memory. It's the one thing I never skimp on when buying a computer, and one of the main culprits when a computer starts to bog down.

Reply by MichiganAl on 1/20/09 12:24am
Msg #275101

and nothing bogs a printer down like low printer memory n/m

Reply by MikeC/NY on 1/20/09 4:49pm
Msg #275164

See what Glenn said about system memory, but also keep in mind that when RAM is used up, Windoze starts swapping to virtual memory (AKA the pagefile). This is an area on your hard drive, and obviously writing to the hard drive is slower than writing to RAM. The pagefile can get filled up - and that will bring your system to its knees - and it can also get fragmented, which will slow performance even more. Defragging your hard drive doesn't defrag the pagefile (see below). Windoze will also write print jobs to a spooler directory (by default in XP, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\PRINTERS) when there are multiple print jobs in the spool and not enough RAM to store them.

You've got some options here:

1. Buy more RAM for your computer.
2. Expand the size of your pagefile (Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced Tab, select Performance Settings, Advanced Tab, then click the Change button under Virtual Memory)
3. Defrag the pagefile. For how to do this, see http://tinyurl.com/qt6e9
4. Buy more RAM for your printer, and set Windoze to print directly to the printer rather than spooling.

Of these, #4 is probably your best option if you regularly print large files, but it's not an option with some printers so #1 isn't a bad idea either. The other two may not be appropriate for you, depending on how comfortable you are with getting "under the hood"...

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/20/09 12:19am
Msg #275099

Yeppers. It's a gremlin. Zapp0. Notorious for sniffing

out crunch-time. A 'least expect it-attack' kind of imp. A pirate of complicity. And a regular chameleon; pretends to be 'memory,' pretends to be 'properties,' pretends to be 'corrupted' files. All lies.

He's a jerk.

Reply by Barb25 on 1/20/09 7:37am
Msg #275115

If you printed the first set and they came out correctly, I doubt it is the printer memory. I assume you printed the first set (1 copy in the dialog box, then printed again 1 copy). If that is the case it wouldn't affect the memory. Especially if you did this before. Could be resources in your computer. But sometimes you just blow something away. When in doubt turn off everything and start it up again. Printer and PC. More often than not it works. Also can try turning off spooling when you have one of those jobs. I have a Laserjet 4250, pretty fast. But depending how docs were scanned (if they were scanned into a PDF file), it hangs up and is sooooo slow. In that case I just sit and wait and mumble things I cannot post here. So how did you get it working?

Reply by NC_Notary on 1/20/09 8:21am
Msg #275117

How do you turn off spooling when you print? n/m

Reply by Barb25 on 1/20/09 9:41am
Msg #275124

Re: How do you turn off spooling when you print?

In the control panel: Go to Printer and Faxes. Open it. Right click on properties. Go to the Advanced Tab. You will see "Print directly to Printer"

You might want to set up another printer.... Same printer of course different but "without spooling" if you find this works.

I used to have an HP 1320tn and sometimes when I used spooling I had a problem. I set up a printer (same printer of course) using PCL5 without spooling and it gave me better results. Maybe because of the advanced features in PCL6. I am not sure why but it worked sometimes. When you are in a hurry and trying to get to a job I didn't care why it worked just that it did. Some techie might be able to give answers.

Also as I said I have a 4250 which outputs docs fast fast. But everynow and then it does weird things. I just shut everything off and reboot it all. Also I had downloaded SP3 for XP. What a mess that made, I couldn't output to any device. I just rolled back and kept XP2.

Reply by Barb25 on 1/20/09 10:00am
Msg #275125

Re: How do you turn off spooling when you print?

I meant to add that when you open Printers and Faxes you need to (left click once) select the appropriate printer before you right click. etc.

I you have any other questions you can call me or pm me if you like.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/20/09 12:06pm
Msg #275135

computer memory, computer memory, computer memory

Not printer memory.

Once again, I have printed large packages, 250+ pages, with two printers, both the lenders copies and BO's copies at the same time, even scanned incorrectly (pdf as image). The spooler stores the documents in computer memory until the printers can take it. My printers only have 8MB onboard memory. Having a lot of printer memory is nice, but that only helps your printer and does the same thing ... stores the documents until the printer can print it. Why not spend the money on computer memory which is a lot cheaper per MB than printer memory and improve your entire operation?

I am not a computer expert, I just know what works. 256MB is not enough computer memory for modern times..... A computer person can look at your computer and tell you how much you can put in it. If you have two slots, you can put 2- 1GB chips in it for 2 GB, discarding the 256MB chip as long as your BIOS will tolerate it. You need to have someone look at it that knows what they are doing. For reference, I remember when I was in Hog heaven with 2MB of memory in my 286. And that was not that long ago. Or how about 64KB in a Commadore 64? C

99% of all the issues I read about on the boards are caused by just a few things. Not enough COMPUTER memory, Not having current updates on your computer, spyware or viruses , and not doing a hard-reboot often enough.

Reply by Barb25 on 1/20/09 12:25pm
Msg #275138

Re: computer memory, computer memory, computer memory

Printer memory helps when you are printing multiple copies of same job (large jobs particularly). Computer memory helps espcially if you are running multiple applications. There are lots of factors with printing other than memory. Ah great, this age of technology.

Reply by NC_Notary on 1/20/09 2:50pm
Msg #275154

Thank you very much for the info on memory & spooling

I didn't realize how important extra memory is. I always assumed that what came with the computer would have been sufficient.

Reply by Calnotary on 1/20/09 5:34pm
Msg #275168

No Glenn, my pc came with only 512 and then months later...

I upgraded to 2 gig, but that' the maximum that my pc can take, according to the website where I purchased it from.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/20/09 9:02pm
Msg #275182

Re: No Glenn, my pc came with only 512 and then months later...

OK, let me give you an example. Those websites aren't going to take any chances so they use conservative data.

So lets assume that your computer has two memory slots and had two 256MB chips to make up the 512MB. OK, then PNY or whoever began making 1 gig chips in your configuration, so you put two of those in, at the websites recommendation because they have done it and they know it works. So now you have 2 gig. OK, then 4 months later, PNY begins marketing 2 gig chips in the same configuration. But the website hasn't tested your particular computer with your particular BIOS, so they say no. But along comes someone named Glenn and he says, I just happen to have a couple of 2 gig chips, so lets see if your computer will take it. So Glenn puts them in and it boots and the BIOS recognize the 4 gigs of memory, so now you have 4 gigs.

A website will not have a way to test your computer to see if the BIOS will recognize the larger memory.
This is where a geek friend or Joe's independent computer shop come in. They will have memory to try before you buy to see if it works. Depends how bad you want more memory

If the BIOS don't recognize the extra memory, then it's not that expensive to upgrade the BIOS to work properly, but since I hate being told I can't do something, I try it anyway and in the computers of friends and family that have been built in the past 5 years or so, I have expanded the memory way beyond what those websites say they can use without upgrading the BIOS... but the only way to find out is to try it. So "Do you feel lucky?"

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.