Notary Rotary
Hospital work
Notary Discussion History

Hospital work
Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by Derrick/MT on 1/23/09 3:59pm
Msg #275427

Hospital work

I got a call from a local hospital today and from my understanding they are not allowing any staff employed by the hospital to do any notary work for the patients. They where asking me if I would be interested in doing work for them when patients had wills or power of attorneys that needed notarizing. The hospital is only about 15 miles round trip from my house, but I am not sure what to charge them for the service. I am thinking it should not take me more than a half hour to complete the assignment. What do you think is a reasonable fee to charge?

Reply by Todd/OH on 1/23/09 5:09pm
Msg #275436

Your fee would be specific to the assignment. Remember, the hospital is only referring you while their patient is paying you; that is unless the hospital has made other arrangements. Discuss arrangements with the hospital when you get the call.

Reply by Roger_OH on 1/23/09 6:10pm
Msg #275451

I get a ton of calls...

from families/patients in hospitals and retirement homes, usually Living Wills and health care POAs. Facilities won't allow their staff to perform notary acts because of the potential liability.

I generally charge anywhere from $35-$50 depending upon distance, and folks are most often VERY grateful for the mobile service. Cash for each call on the spot. I have, though, been known to reduce fees markedly for WWII/Korea veterans or other special cases.

It pays well to introduce yourself to these local facilities, as they're happy to have someone available to serve their patients for these essential documents when they can't.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 1/23/09 6:49pm
Msg #275454

Derrick, I charge about the same as Roger does

....for my hospital trips. Just a couple tips that I learned a long the way: 1) In addition to hospital staff not performing notary acts, many of them can't act as a witness either. Family members have gone to other patient rooms looking for visitors to come and be a witness. I didn't suggest it. They just did it. It still amazes me how complete strangers are willing to be act as a witness. 2) If it is a rehab wing or orthopedic (bone) floor, I ask several times "will the patient be in their room or with physical therapy". More than once the patient was whisked away before I arrived for their physical or speech therapy appointment. And finally 3) find out when breakfast/lunch/dinner is being served and schedule your appointment well after that time. Hospital food is tough enough to eat warm; let alone cold. Oops! I forgot. Pay close attention to those signs on the door regarding wearing gloves, gowns, etc., when the patient is in isolation.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/24/09 4:15pm
Msg #275506

And, some hospitals have pay parking. n/m

Reply by Michelle/AL on 1/24/09 8:37pm
Msg #275516

Good point, Copperhead, I kept forgetting this when I would

quote my fee over the phone. But after doing that for 2-3 times, I finally remembered. Only one hospital here in my area charges for parking so it was easy for me to forget. Yep. I charge more to go that hospital. When I explain why that is to the customer they totally understand.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/25/09 6:47pm
Msg #275557

I think this should fall into the "general notary" category. Of course, it depends on what your state allows, but I quote the $10/notarized signature that CA allows, plus a substantial enough standard travel fee so that it's worth my while, even if there's only one signature to notarize.

I recommend that you establish for yourself a set of standard fees based on whatever criteria are relevant for your market so you don't have to be guessing each time and can quote over the phone. Keep in mind that, when dealing with elderly or infirm, the time commitment is likely to be greater than for your typical quick sign and stamp. I also usually ask about ID issues on the phone and advise them that the document needs to be complete (but not signed) before I get there and try to find out something about the mental state of the person. (You also don't want to get there right after they've taken meds that are likely to make them foggy.)

Other things to consider:

* Whether travel fee applies even if you are unable to complete notarization (e,g. ID problems, incomplete docs, etc.)
* Having a maximum time allotment, with an extra charge to go beyond that, e.g. if kept waiting for long time or dealing with disorganized situtation for one or few signatures. (I've never enforced this, but have been tempted a couple of times!)
* Whether or not you'll accept personal checks or can take credit cards or if you prefer cash.

I apply some of these on a case by case basis, but they are all issues I've faced at some time or other and things that are worth thinking about if you want to pursue general notary work. Rather than quote a total fee for the work as stated over the phone, I generally tell them how I calculate my fee (based on travel and # of sigs), then finalize it when I see what they really have. It often changes once I get there.

For example, I once had someone tell me that their docs needed 10 signatures notarized. There were 10 signatures on the docs, but only one needed to be notarized. I had almost told them that I would waive my travel fee, but I was glad I didn't once I got there! Most of the time, in my area, I run into people who are fairly well off, but if I see that money is an issue for someone (usually the elderly or infirm), I've been known to suddenly have a reduction in (or elimination of) the travel portion... hth

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.