Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
How much do you charge for late night signings?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by JanetLA on 1/28/09 7:42am
Msg #275791

I don't want to know your base fee, as some are hesitant to share that. I want to know the amount you might add to that fee. I had a SS call last night for an 11pm signing and I asked for $50 above my typical fee and she was very upset with me saying there was no way to get that approved, blah, blah, blah. I told her that I have to set my fees for my business and that it was OK if she didn't want me to do the signing but she didn't get to be angry at me for it. She said "Can't you help me out with this?" I don't think it is a personal favor to her for me to go out that late at night for my regular fee, which I don't have any problem getting on an almost daily basis...Just want feedback to see if I am in line here. Thanks in advance

Reply by Julie/IL on 1/28/09 8:01am
Msg #275792

That would depend on a few circumstances. Was this a regular customer of yours? If it was, I probably wouldn't have charged that much, if anything at all. Was is close to home? If not, I may have asked for a little extra. Also, remember, its your business. It isn't up to anyone else what you charge or take for a closing. If it wasn't worth the time and effort, you don't owe anyone an explaination, especially an SS. The only thing is, you may have cost yourself a business relationship with that company.

Reply by JanetLA on 1/28/09 8:09am
Msg #275793

Other notary had cancelled due to late docs and he had to

get up early. I don't work for this SS often, and they are fair as a rule. I just thought (and still think) that if I am doing them a favor by going out that late, then I will be paid for my time. I don't think a signing at 6 or 7pm is the same as a signing at 11 or 12... Just my opinion, and thank you for yours. I must say that my best customers might have been a different story but I am not sure.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/28/09 8:14am
Msg #275794

I don't think a $50 premium for accommodating an 11 PM signing is unreasonable. I don't advertise myself as a 24-hour notary because I don't wish to work that late. If I were to agree to go at that hour, yes, I would expect a higher fee. Their emergency is not my emergency.

If it was a company that is a regular client of mine, then I might make an exception. If it's a company that calls me once or twice a year, then no I wouldn't make an exception.

Reply by snoopdogMs on 1/28/09 8:22am
Msg #275795

I believe some compensation is due. I think if its a company that you have a good relationship with, that is the more reason (not less reason) for them to appreciate your work and recognize the need to compensate for the late hour.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/28/09 8:40am
Msg #275798

I agree, if you have a good relationship with a particular company, that is all the more reason for them to compensate you for the extra accommodation you do for them. After all, they are calling you because they know you will get the job done right. That's the way it *should* be.

I have a TC client who keeps me fairly busy but doesn't pay extra for travel. They have a set fee that they pay and they will not go over it. I do go farther for them for no additional fee, but they keep me busy. I'm not doing 6-8 a day like other people have posted, but I do receive steady work from this company so I make the accommodation when necessary. I'm not sure what I would do if this particular company asked me to go out at 11 PM for no additional fee. I *might* do it if it were very close to my house. I would hope that they would offer to pay me extra, but I don't know if they would.

A few months ago they did ask me to drive a deed to the courthouse two counties away the following morning so it could record (2nd home, so no RTC). They offered me a ridiculously low fee, which I declined. They did come up to a fee I could live with (double what they had initially offered), but one that I still felt was a bit on the low side.

Reply by 101livescan on 1/28/09 9:11am
Msg #275801

If they are a regular client, that is one thing...new companies, calling on a notary they've never engaged should expect to pay something more. I would charge what you charged, late night, same evening requesters should expect to pay something. THEY ARE LUCKY TO GET SOMEONE TO ANSWER THEIR PHONES and accept the work. It's an important accommodation. I charge extra for out of county work, late night, SUNDAYS AND HOLIDAYS. It's like over time for working for more than 40 hours a week. Why not. I'll bet their employees are being paid over time, right?

I know for a fact that these companies read your profile to find out if they want to hire you. They picked you, the negotiation of appropriate fees is all up to us. If you're in the mountains and going deeper into the mountains.....whatever the market will bare!

Reply by Tish/CA on 1/28/09 1:20pm
Msg #275820

Janet, I don't think it's unreasonable for you to ask for an additional fee for a signing at that hour of the evening. I may look at it diiferently had i been the original notary contracted for the job but you were in essence, helping them out because their original notary bailed. Sorry, this is business, you requested nothing outrageous. Did you end up doing the signing, and if so, how did it go?

Reply by JanetLA on 1/28/09 2:18pm
Msg #275828

I didn't go but she was really upset with me...

The originally scheduled notary had to get up early and he bailed because the docs were so late. This SS hires other notaries in town for less than I work for and that is fine, but she got really angry and raised her voice telling me that she couldn't get fee approved that late, etc. She kept asking me to help her out... I do try to help, but I didn't want to stay out past midnight working for my normal fee.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/28/09 3:26pm
Msg #275833

Re: I didn't go but she was really upset with me...

<<"Can't you help me out with this?">>

This should work both ways and I think she was out of line to get angry with you. Naturally, she was trying to protect her client relationship (or keep her job), but I imagine that once she confirmed a notary to do the signing, she was done for the night. Conversely, the notary's work would be just beginning and would take hours yet to complete. In a situation like that, I'd think they should have been willing to give up some of their profit (especially if it was a signing service!) to the person saving their rear.

This is asking the notary to go above and beyond for something that is THEIR problem, not the notary's. If they want you to do them a big favor (which this clearly would be), there should be something extra in it for you for dragging yourself out after what was likely already a long day. Even though many of us advertise 24-hour service, that doesn't mean we will be available on a moments notice. Contrary to what some may believe, we have to sleep, too.

Reply by 101livescan on 1/28/09 3:59pm
Msg #275836

I couldn't agree with you more...I get a lot of calls where I can tell they are sitting on pins and needles, hoping I'll say yes, no worries, of course everything has a price tag. Sitting in my office, the phone rings, can I download edocs and be somewhere within the hour. Don't you think that should pay more than the average deal? I do. Especially evenings, weekends and holidays.

Good for you....I wouldn't have done it either, NOT YOUR PROBLEM....the lenders make a lot of money still, I'm amazed at all the fees given our current market conditions.

All the best!

Reply by Tish/CA on 1/29/09 12:31pm
Msg #275883

Did she also threaten to put you "time out"? Seriously, how unprofessional...

<<"Can't you help me out with this?">>

Yes, I will accept the signing for X amount. Period.

BTW - who is the signing service...inquiring notaries want to know.

Reply by Tish/CA on 1/29/09 3:21pm
Msg #275906

correction: put you IN......... n/m

Reply by taxpro on 1/29/09 2:44pm
Msg #275897

She kept asking you to "help her out?!" That's ridiculous! Is she your mom, your best friend or next-door neighbor? Of course not. I would say, "the fact that I'm even willing to go out and do the signing at all IS "helping you out". Had she never heard of the free market, and supply and demand? If she (or her boss) doesn't want to pay the extra $50, they can call the next notary on the list. If there is no one willing to do the 11 pm signing (except you), that's called "high demand, low supply", and the price is higher. Take it or leave it.

It's a free country last time I checked. You are not obligated to take any job that you don't want to take, and shouldn't feel bad about it. "Help her out?" Whatever....

Reply by MikeC/NY on 1/28/09 2:14pm
Msg #275827

I don't think it's out of line to ask for a premium for a late night closing, especially if you don't do them as a rule. As others have said, this is your business so you set your rates and hours of operation. Some people have no problem going out late and won't charge extra; I'm one of those who prefers not to, but will do it if there's additional incentive. I don't think either approach is wrong.

Reply by Virginia/PA on 1/28/09 3:17pm
Msg #275831

Had that happen just last night. Got a call while at another signing and it was only for 9:30 p.m. I said make me an offer I can't refuse. (I didn't want to current borrowers to hear me ask for any particular fee.) It was local and I was offered $200.00 for e-docs. I accepted. Happy days are here again.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/28/09 3:36pm
Msg #275835

<< I said make me an offer I can't refuse.>>

What a great and profitable response! Good job.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/28/09 5:43pm
Msg #275839

For the 5 years I have been doing this, perhaps 75% of my work has been after 7pm. I charge the same, day or night. I am a late night person, and that's when I like to work.

Just a thought for those of you who do charge a premium for night work. One of my larger clients over this period of time I got because I did not charge a premium for night work. Their past regular notary wanted to charge $75 extra. The notary wouldn't budge, so they called me, and I have had all their work in my area since then. I did 31 loans for them last year .

Reply by Linda Juenger on 1/28/09 5:45pm
Msg #275840

I'm with you Glen. The only time I charge extra is for

extra mileage. I base my fee on miles and type of loan, not what time it is.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 1/28/09 5:46pm
Msg #275841

Sorry Glenn, forgot the 2 n's n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/29/09 3:46pm
Msg #275908

I think this as different from "standard"

You guys have a point, but I would distinguish between a signing that I'm offered in advance so that I can plan accordingly vs. a last minute desperate plea. Plus, personally, I see a big difference between a 9:00 pm signing and an 11:00 pm signing, although I've done my share of the latter in the past (usually end-of-month). And I'm a night person, too.

Once I'm home, comfortable, and mentally done for the night, it's going to take some extra $$ for me to re-energize, suit-up again, fire up the printer and hit the road again. I likely would have turned it down myself, but might have been induced by the right figure. For the same fee -- especially at signing service rates -- no way!

Reply by Todd/OH on 1/28/09 7:58pm
Msg #275847

I have no problem charging extra -

I charge extra $25 after 8pm. They are placing a huge inconvenience upon me. Not all borrowers are "with it" that late at night. Can't it wait 'til morning??

Reply by 101livescan on 1/28/09 9:20pm
Msg #275850

Re: I have no problem charging extra -

and with locks about to expire, a little extra for the extra mile doesn't hurt, better than having the lock lost and the borrower unhappy, risky having the loan cancel altogether...big picture...

Reply by MonicaFL on 1/29/09 10:12am
Msg #275872

I had a call late last week from a company asking me to close a refi that was about 20 miles from my home - and it needed to close in ONE HOUR. This was an evening closing and where they wanted me to go was a bit on the "shady side of town" so to speak. I quoted my fee (adding extra for the time frame) and they said, oh no, we could never pay that! Told them, sorry, I won't go there for less.

Reply by SharonMN on 1/29/09 10:19am
Msg #275873

I will either turn down the signing or charge my normal fee.

If someone calls and schedules a late signing ahead of time because the borrower works a weird shift or something, no problem. I know I will have the documents by the end of the business day and I can drop docs the following day, so it should go smoothly. I will insist on full fee for a no-sign due to the late travel and the fact that the LO probably won't be available for questions.

If the company is looking for a last-minute notary because the docs weren't ready and the other notary finally gave up and cancelled, forget it. The borrower rarely has any interest in signing in the middle of the night anyway, and I will have no part in pressuring them to do so.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.