New
Notary Discussion History

New
Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by Joseph Iacono on 1/16/09 5:00pm
Msg #274783

New

Hello All,

I've recently became a NY (NYC area) NSA and was looking for advice on how I can start picking up some work with good compaines.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply by GA/Atty on 1/16/09 5:18pm
Msg #274788

I would use Signing Central and contact the "good" companies n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 1/16/09 8:03pm
Msg #274807

Re: I would use Signing Central and contact the "good" companies

Yes & beware the lowball companies that prey on newbies.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/16/09 9:37pm
Msg #274814

I know this may sound like I'm defending SSs... and goodness knows I'm not. The low fees are ridiculous.

But, what is a newbie in the industry supposed to do? They can't possibly come right out and tell people, "I've done less than 25 signings, but I deserve to be paid $150 for my work!" Okay, they can... but, they have to get experience somehow, and of a SS is willing to take them on, then the low fees for less experience make sense.

Medical interns or residents certainly don't make the money that fully licensed physicians do.
An apprentice to a trade doesn't earn as much as a journeyman or a master.
A person who just graduated with an AA in business won't make as much as someone who just got their MBA.

So why should a SS that is willing to take on new NSAs be maligned for offering them less money?

Obviously, it won't take them long to learn that they can earn more elsewhere... but a lot of these "elsewheres" want to see experience. It's a tough spot to be in, but it's not impossible.

My best advice to to STUDY A LOT and make sure you don't make newbie mistakes. This board is full of stories of what NOT to do.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 1/16/09 10:09pm
Msg #274816

Joseph, Good luck to you starting out. I would recommend that you use the orange surch button. Just about everything you would like to ask is in there. We have a lot of people on this forum with lots of knowledge, ideas and egos..study before you post!

Reply by Joseph Iacono on 1/30/09 12:52pm
Msg #275997

Well, what's a lowball offer, I;ve been getting some calls for around $50 to $75 for prining the docus and mailing them back out. Is that low?

Reply by Becca_FL on 1/16/09 11:13pm
Msg #274818

Why? n/m

Reply by Leon_CO on 1/17/09 7:17am
Msg #274822

What is your background?

Joseph, it would help if you gave a little more background.

The reason why I say this is because "new" really is a relative term. I knew of a signing agent who was "new", but she had 10 years experience working in commercial real estate. So while she was a 'new' signing agent, she actually 'knew' more than a lot of people who are just starting out.

What kind of training do you have as a signing agent? (i.e. seminar, training manual, ...)

What organizations have you joined?

Do you have a listing on any other sites?

What does your profile say?. Even though you are new, you can still write a good profile that will make a good impression. A lot of times you look at a person's profile and it says 'No comments'. That never looks good.

Use the 'Find a Notary' tool (click on the tab above) and see who is in your area. That will let you know who you are competing against for closing assignments, which leads me to my next point.

I don't like to discourage anyone, but the reality is that you may find it difficult getting started at this time. The people in your area are well-established. And even they might be struggling to survive in this business.

The bottom line is that, people aren't coming into this profession in droves. Just the opposite. A lot of people are leaving. And that doesn't necessarily mean that there will be more business for you. The reason why they are leaving is because there is less business all around. Sorry if that sounds negative, but it's the reality.

Good luck.

P.S. And I don't mean that as a cliché. You really will need 'good luck'.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/17/09 9:04am
Msg #274827

Re: What is your background?

Why would you ask about background? You're not hiring him.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/17/09 9:04am
Msg #274828

Why would you ask about background? You're not hiring him.

Reply by Leon_CO on 1/17/09 9:30am
Msg #274829

>> Why would you ask about background? You're not hiring him. <<
-----------------------------------------

I asked him about his background because he said that he is looking for advice on how to start working with some good companies.

If he told more about himself and his background, it would help others in giving him some advice. If he has some special skills or experience, he can use that as a way to market himself, and to stand apart from the others. I mentioned the person who had 10 years commercial real estate experience as an example. Because of that, she was able to get off to a good start. Companies were willing to take a chance on her, even though she was new.

No, I have no intentions of hiring him. I'm trying to find enough work to keep myself busy.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/17/09 3:38pm
Msg #274862

That would indicate that it is better to have some related real estate/mortgage experience.
While that may be true for some, there are many of us that had lots of other types of business experience & are doing just fine.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 1/17/09 9:46am
Msg #274831

MW/VA Lol I was just thinking the same thing:) n/m

Reply by Leon_CO on 1/17/09 9:48am
Msg #274832

Re: MW/VA Lol I was just thinking the same thing:)

It just goes to show that small minds think alike.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/17/09 3:35pm
Msg #274861

I prefer a small mind over a large ego.

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/17/09 6:10pm
Msg #274877

<<<I prefer a small mind over a large ego.>>>

The man simply asked the original poster a question. Where does a "large ego" come in to play?

Reply by MW/VA on 1/17/09 6:41pm
Msg #274879

What's with all the sensitivity--I was joking around!

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/17/09 7:00pm
Msg #274880

<<<What's with all the sensitivity--I was joking around!>>>

I was just asking........It's not easy to tell sometimes when someone's joking or serious. Sense you were joking...I guess he was joking too? I don't know.... but nevermind......

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/17/09 9:44pm
Msg #274890

Since...not Sense n/m

Reply by Joseph Iacono on 1/30/09 12:54pm
Msg #275998

I'm a CPA, and the only knowlage I have is from the training to pass the tests. I;ve joined this site, and the NNA. I guess I'm tryting to find out if there are a listing of signing companies, or title companies(?) which I can submitt my information to in hope they will call me up.

Reply by 101livescan on 1/18/09 9:49am
Msg #274923

Joseph, if after reading this thread, you still want to become a loan signing agent, lots of luck to you. The market is different today. Fewer loans, fewer qualified borrowers. . There are a lot of people trying to eke out a living who've been doing this work for some time. It helps to have connections. People who are full time employed doing this will be accepting assignments on the weekends and evenings. Those who are FULL TIME LSA's accept jobs any time they want to, and that puts them on the "available 24/7 list". There are a number of factors that will help you to stand out in a crowd. I would study the profiles of other people in your area who are on this board to see what your competition is doing. And, again, to echo other respondents to your post, GOOD LUCK!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.