Notary Rotary
Poaching: Will I get 'whacked'?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by Leon_CO on 1/5/09 11:32am
Msg #273583

I'm doing a closing tomorrow in a city where I know there are other signing agents. And they can't all be booked at this particular time of day.

It's quite a bit of a drive. But I don't mind. If the companies are willing to pay, I'll go anywhere. But the thought does go through my mind that I'm in other people's ** territory **.

It's not the first time. Several times last year I got calls to do closings more than 90 miles away. At first I thought it was due to attrition -- signing agents leaving the profession because of the slowdown. But I don't think so.

Anyway, I know I said that I would be taking more risks in 2009. I just wonder if I'm taking a risk on getting 'whacked' for invading other people's territory. Smile

Reply by enotary/va on 1/5/09 11:43am
Msg #273584

Go For It. I did one 128 miles from my home on Friday. I'll do one anywhere in Virginia if they will pay my fee. I know they could have gotten someone for half my fee in that area.

Reply by Leon_CO on 1/5/09 11:49am
Msg #273587

>> I know they could have gotten someone for half my fee in that area. <<
--------------------------------------

That's something else I think about. I got a call a couple of weeks ago to do a closing 70 miles away. I suggested that they try to locate someone in that area because I didn't think they would be willing to pay what I would have charged. Now that I look back on it, I should have at least asked.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 1/5/09 11:50am
Msg #273588

I have a few clients who are willing to pay me more than my base fee to travel a bit out of my primary service area.

They are comfortable with my work and are not willing to take a chance on a notary whose work they are not familiar with. I don't worry about "poaching." The notaries in those areas need to up their marketing efforts if they want to be more successful in cornering all the business in their areas.

I've also gained business by being able to close loans for PFG since I chose to get the E&O coverage level that they require.

Reply by Leon_CO on 1/5/09 12:02pm
Msg #273594

>> I've also gained business by being able to close loans for PFG since I chose to get the E&O coverage level that they require. <<
-----------------------------------------
I read your post about that. I did a closing for PFG a couple of weeks ago. I'm considering raising my level.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 1/5/09 12:13pm
Msg #273596

IMO, it is worth it only if you live in an area that would have enough volume to support the added expense. Those notaries servicing rural areas would probably not get enough business to justify the added expense.

Reply by Les_CO on 1/5/09 11:52am
Msg #273589

Well Leon. I haven't done a signing in Colorado Springs in two years, and only did them then for one good customer. I'm in Lakewood, so if you get a call for a signing here......go for it! You're welcome!

Reply by Leon_CO on 1/5/09 12:03pm
Msg #273595

Les, I've been as far as Thornton. You're welcome in Colorado Springs if you ever get called.

Reply by Les_CO on 1/5/09 12:18pm
Msg #273598

Thanks, but I get a nosebleed south of Highlands Ranch.

Reply by parkerc/ME on 1/5/09 11:59am
Msg #273593

I've had calls for signings outside my usual area, for which I know there are other agents in those areas. Some clients may tend to put you at the top of their call list and probably widen your area at the same time. Essentially they're giving you the option of first refusal. They want you!!! Wink

Reply by Teresa/FL on 1/5/09 12:15pm
Msg #273597

I have driven as far as Miami

A particular client wanted me to handle a purchase closing for them. Both the buyer and seller attended the closing.

I quoted them a fee based on the distance and amount of time involved and they gladly paid it.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/5/09 1:41pm
Msg #273604

Poaching? Hardly. They asked YOU do it.

Besides, who says that any particular NSA "owns" a territory? Competition is healthy. You go where you are comfortable going, and service the customers who request you.

If other notaries have a problem with that, they need to look at their own marketing and business dealings rather than get upset with you.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 1/5/09 4:01pm
Msg #273612

You come in to Chicago, and I will breaka yo face. LOL n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 1/5/09 8:03pm
Msg #273626

I think it's pretty ethical of you to even think of it as "poaching". This is a highly competitive business. IMO if you are commissioned in those areas you aren't necessarily encroaching on anyone else's territory. Go for it!

Reply by sue_pa on 1/6/09 2:34pm
Msg #273681

this is another of those "thought provoking posts", correct?

No one who has been in this business longer than a week could possibly think we have "territories" ... other than those who have actually paid throughout the years for them.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.