Notary Rotary
Service Link just called again...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by CopperheadVA on 1/24/09 2:59pm
Msg #275503

I've never worked for Service Link, and I don't think I want to after seeing a lot of the ratings and posts about them.

They called me yesterday for a signing 50 miles away on Monday. I quoted high $1XX. They would have to see if they could get that approved. Okie-dokie. Then they call again today while I'm in a class and have my phone on silent (well, I think it was them, as they are using a blocked number each time they call me - caller ID said "Unknown"Wink but they didn't leave a message. Now they just called me again for the same closing. But this time they said it was a piggy-back. I quoted them $2XX.

The gal seemed a bit taken aback at my fee. I told her that it's a piggy-back and 50 miles one way. She said, "It's only 50 miles." I'm thinking what???? ONLY 50 miles????? I replied that 50 miles is quite a distance. She will have to see if she can get that approved. Okie-dokie.

After reading about all their faxbacks, and background check requirements that cost the notary $$, special invoicing requirements, and especially the post I saw about how they only want to pay $25-$42 for a no-sign that (if it happens on this job) will be 100 miles round trip, I'm not interested in doing it at any fee.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/24/09 3:30pm
Msg #275505

They just called back and offered a whopping $125.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/24/09 4:31pm
Msg #275507

For both??!!... n/m

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/24/09 4:54pm
Msg #275508

Re: For both??!!...

Yes.... from what I understand from other posts, they normally like to pay $65 including e-docs for a single loan, so they probably thought they were being generous at $125 for a piggy-back 50 miles one way. And the kicker is they didn't want to take no for an answer - I had to decline about three times before they "got" it. Then they called right back AGAIN but I didn't answer.

Reply by snoopdogMs on 1/25/09 8:10am
Msg #275525

Re: For both??!!...

I would have answered as they may have finally agreed to your fee.

Reply by TRG_wy on 1/25/09 8:22am
Msg #275527

I haven't done any Service Link closings in a while, don't know if it is because of the slow down or what. I always charged them like your quote "high $1xx" ; that was for local.

All the loans were Countrywide Full Spectrum. Require split package returns, at least 45 pages of fax backs, wait for approval to return docs and required end-of-month billing only. The packages were huge and always edocs. Oh yeah, and as noted their no-sign policy sucks.

I service a town 51 miles away (very rural up here) one way. I just looked at my cheat sheet for that location and given a piggy-back loan with edocs and their requirements; my fee would be right about $300 given all their requirements. Plus for a no sign they still pay printing and mileage fees as well as a no sign fee.

Reply by ChristineHI on 1/25/09 11:34pm
Msg #275566

I do signings for them, but I am fortunate in that I don't have much competition where I am so they meet my fees. I don't like the fax backs and that you have to wait to hear from them to drop the package off, but they have always paid me on time and send me regular business.
You should be an experienced notary though because they are very particular and don't explain everything.
When they called a few months back asking if I could reduce my fees I said no, and they keep sending me business.
Now that things are picking up..and will continue to do so for awhile, perhaps companies will pay more again.
I have never reduced my fees...it would not make my business profitable.
It is important to enjoy what you do and get paid what you deserve. If you underbid yourself you will feel bad about what you are doing. Trust your instinct.
Good luck!

Reply by TRG_wy on 1/26/09 7:58am
Msg #275585

Excellent post, I actually could have written this myself.

Experience is a must. They ask a lot more than most and they should pay accordingly. They pay promptly by their schedule but my company's Policy and Procedures Manual prohibits end-of-month billings so my accounting goes wacky when they 'require' this.

Reply by Yowheelz on 1/26/09 5:49pm
Msg #275630

I do quite a bit of work for Service Link as a matter of fact we are doing 2 tonight for them. They have always met my price and they pay within 30 days. When I let them know that the signing is a little farther out than I normally go they pay extra. I have had nothing but good relations with them.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.