Notary Rotary
"Let's do a jurat!"
Notary Discussion History

"Let's do a jurat!"
Go Back to January, 2009 Index

Posted by Marian_in_CA on 1/12/09 9:14pm
Msg #274310

"Let's do a jurat!"

I hope this guy doesn't kill me for posting this... but he did make it public. It says that it's a "training" video, but training for who? I think, however, that he owns some UPS stores and these training videos are for his employees? I found it while on youtube today surfing around. I'm just... amazed. I'm sure he means well... but wow... talk about UPL nightmare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwqmOS8bVrc

Here's a transcript of the video if you can't make it out:

=====================
Acknowledgement or Jurat? That is the question. When a customer walks in to the store, they will generally have a document pre-printed out that they want notarized, and it will generally either have this wording on it [he points to a CA All-purpose acknowledgement form], or this wording on it [he indicates a loose jurat form]...

Because someone will have given them the document and they already know which language they prefer on it. The difference between an acknowledgment and a jurat is that an acknowledgement just confirms their identity, whereas a jurat also confirms their identity and they swear to the contents of the document.

They really serve the same purpose. As notaries, we basically confirm the identity of the signer, and so both documents serve that purpose. The difference is, really, very minimal.

If they don't know if they want an acknowledgement or a jurat, I generally go with the easiest [he grabs a jurat stamp] - that's the jurat stamp. You can stamp it right on the document, which is really nice because it's less work, but some authorizing agencies, especially foreign agencies that need things notarized like the stamp to be on the same document as the one they're signing, because that way there's less room for fraud, potentially, than using an attachment.

So generally, if they don't know, I just go, "Let's do a jurat!" If there is an issue with it, they can always bring it back to you and you can always do it for free and do an acknowledgement for them.
===================

Reply by Teresa/FL on 1/12/09 9:52pm
Msg #274311

at least he didn't title it "Let's do a Notary" n/m

Reply by Becca_FL on 1/12/09 10:04pm
Msg #274313

T, we share the same sense of humor. n/m

Reply by Teresa/FL on 1/12/09 10:06pm
Msg #274314

...and I have not yet "done a Notary"... n/m

Reply by Teresa/FL on 1/12/09 10:07pm
Msg #274315

but have performed thousands of notarizations n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/12/09 10:17pm
Msg #274316

LOL, well, there is that! n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/12/09 11:08pm
Msg #274321

HOLD THE PHONE.... he did say it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8CaTX1dQk8

Sorry, Ladies!

Reply by Teresa/FL on 1/13/09 6:49am
Msg #274332

but he didn't TITLE the video that way n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/12/09 10:50pm
Msg #274318

The point, for those of you from outside of CA (and in case you missed the comments at the bottom), is that our state notary laws prohibit us from making the decision for the signer when the document doesn't make it clear. We can describe the differences (and will hopefully do a better job than this guy does!), but we can't tell them which one to use.

Amazing what passes for training, isn't it?!

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/12/09 11:58pm
Msg #274325

Thanks, Janet. I meant to add that part, too.

Don't most states pretty much prohibit this, too?

I was just amazed that the guy said, "Well, if they don't know I just use the jurat because it's easy."

Reply by hp/MD on 1/13/09 11:33am
Msg #274340

Re: "Let's do niether one in MD!"

Last year the state of MD conducted a seminar for most counties to increase the knowledge of the notaries. One the issues that was discussed was that if there is no Jurat or awknowledgement wordings on the document, the notary should only put his or her signature and stamp. That is it. In Maryland, You can not print Jurat wording on the doc. as it was suggested on the video.

Reply by PAW on 1/13/09 12:17pm
Msg #274342

Re: "Let's do niether one in MD!"

Ever since I read the MD Notary Handbook, I was somewhat astounded by that. Simple sign, date and stamp (with a few other requirements), to witness the signature. Certainly can make things easier at the table.

Reply by Dawn/PA on 1/13/09 5:36pm
Msg #274382

Re: "Let's do niether one in MD!"**That caused me some

problems once. I can’t remember the form, but it was from a MD Title Company and underneath the borrowers signatures there was a line for the Notary but no wording. When I called to ask about it, I was told to just sign and stamp - which in NOT allowed in PA. The lady and I had a very long conversation about it - "all the notaries do it" she told me. I told her I wouldn’t and unless I was told whether to use a Jurat or Ack, I wasn't signing it. She then had to look into it, called me back and told me use an acknowledgement. All I know is that it was a royal PITA for me to get an answer.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.